Bad answer during interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetTooth07

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I had an interview in my state school and was asked where do I see myself in 5-10 years. I said I see myself working here and started going on about something I can’t remember but then for some reason I said that if opportunity came up somewhere else I would keep an open mind. And then said again I would want to stay here locally. How bad does that look and how does it affect my chances of getting accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this any different from when you practiced this possible question in a mock interview?
No this is how I prepared this question in mock interviews but for schools that were not in my state. Not what I wanted to say for this interview.

I still remember 2 years ago during an interview, a host asked me a fun fact about myself. I said I liked to play video games right before the exam, lol. Unfortunately rejected by USC, but it was not the main factor during the PBL interview more just made a bad start. But it was fun cuz I finally said it lol

I still remember 2 years ago during an interview, a host asked me a fun fact about myself. I said I liked to play video games right before the exam, lol. Unfortunately rejected by USC, but it was not the main factor during the PBL interview more just made a bad start. But it was fun cuz I finally said it lol
lol did it make the interview more conversational?

lol did it make the interview more conversational?
I would say the harm outweighs the benefits. It did become more conversational and authentic, but more kind of risky, and I knew it. I just wanted to try it once in the interview and see how it goes. By that time I already had two interview invites so I wasn't worried too much. And for your concern, I wouldn't worry too much either. When you answer the questions, don't make statement that sounds like it is definitely going to happen. Being more conservative and open-minded and taking all considerations to reduce the uncertainty. Yea I feel this way makes me more confident, I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like a fair answer, especially since you reiterated that you wanted to stay local. Don't overthink it.

If it makes you feel better, you didn't cry during the interview so that's a win haha.