DO Bad final semester, should I still apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diamine55

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For my final semester of undergrad I ended up doing very poorly in a few of my classes. I received a 2.8gpa for the semester which brought my overall gpa down to a 3.29 (down from 3.4). I was planning on applying broadly to many DO schools, however now I'm not sure if I even have a chance. Does anyone have any thoughts on the situation or ideas of how I can start to try to fix my app?

MCAT: 29
-11 bio
-7 ps
-11 verbal

Volunteering/shadowing:
-100+ hours volunteering in community projects
-aprox. 50 hours hospital volunteering, still increasing
-Shadowing: 20 hours

Research:
-1 year in a social research lab, 10hrs/wk

Employment:
-2 years as a pharmacy technician, 20+ hrs/wk
-2 years Campus Living student assistant, ~10 hrs/wk

LOR's:
-premed committee
-pharmacy manager
-physician(DO)

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have an outside reason for the poor final semester?

What is your sGPA? I kinda have similar stats to you

Members don't see this ad :)
I got diagnosed/had to deal with crohns disease. I hate to use that as an excuse but it did take up a lot of time and energy to get it under control. My sGPA is probably around a 3.2-3.3.

If you can do a post-bac you certainly help yourself but if not it still is worth strongly considering sending in DO applications. 3.3/29 on aggregate is good enough to get most into a DO school. Yes you have that complicating factor of a horrible last semester and I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I have any idea how an ADCOM will view Crohns Disease but all in all I would still consider applying depending on what those in the know say about how bad ONE terrible semester with a disease looks.

I think you have a good shot! Though, I'm not sure about the Crohn's disease will look.