Bad semester... I need some advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laker17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Let's just say that this semester wasn't my best. I had a few major personal/family issues that demanded a lot of my time and focus, and as a result my grades suffered. It looks as if I will be receiving a C in Organic Chemistry II and a C in Microbiology, which is a shame because I actually really enjoyed both of these courses. As of now I have a 3.4 GPA. I've been trying to decide between retaking them next semester or just focusing on doing better from now on. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

A C or two isn't going to hurt you, especially if your current overall GPA is 3.4. Just do the best you can this semester and don't plan on retaking unless you don't get at least a C in those classes. Also, it's important to note that Pod schools don't practice grade replacement and average out the grades (meaning if you got a C and then retook the class and got an A, both grades would be factored in your GPA calculation). Unless you get a C- or lower in a prerequisite class then you would HAVE to retake because many schools don't accept anything lower than a C in such classes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help! Yeah, I understand that the schools average out the grades, but I guess my motivation behind retaking the classes would be to show those schools (and myself) that this was a fluke and I can handle them. Does that make sense?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also recommend not re-taking. Instead, take other classes that fill out your coursework because mathematically, the result will be the same. your GPA is fine and you will fill in that missing O-chem knowledge while preparing for the MCAT. I had a C+ in Chem2 and when I went on interviews, the interviewers all said something like: "Oh, I see you had a C in chemistry, but you got a 9 on PS, so it must have clicked for you"

I vouch for no re-taking ether. Take other classes and do well.

No need to retake as long as those C's don't drop to C-'s. Just kick some butt in upper level bio courses (biochem, pharm, physiology, immunology, virology, genetics, cell bio, etc.). Don't over do it either. Idk what other classes you've taken nor your school's graduation requirements, but if you take half to 3/4 of what I just mentioned you'll be fine.

No need to retake as long as those C's don't drop to C-'s. Just kick some butt in upper level bio courses (biochem, pharm, physiology, immunology, virology, genetics, cell bio, etc.). Don't over do it either. Idk what other classes you've taken nor your school's graduation requirements, but if you take half to 3/4 of what I just mentioned you'll be fine.

I had several C's and got accepted to RFU. Given that the average GPAs of students are right around a 3, that pretty much means for every A a matriculant gets they got a C along with it. Do not worry about it. Your GPA is more than fine.

I wouldn't freak out if I were you. From what I have heard about Podiatry schools your GPA is still considered good.
But you are kind of lucky that you can retake a class if you get a C. Here at MSU you have to get a 1.5 or less to re-take a class. Our grades aren't made like A,B,C,D, but 4.0, 3.5, 3.0, 2.5.
I just wouldn't freak out about a C in those classes. I am in Physio and BioChem (both of which are more challenging than MSU's DO school) and am doing awful but I am not letting it get to me.

It also matters about the MCAT, which I have not taken. What did you get in Orgo 1? What about gen Chem and gen Bio?

It also depends on where you live and where you would like to go to, or actually where you DON'T want to go? I know that the Arizona school has the highest GPA amongst the schools, then DMU is next. But other than these two the average science GPA is below a 3.2

I agree with the general sentiment here. A "C" is not a problem for pod school.

I had a C in ochem, D in intro to bio, and withdrew from calculus during a bad sophomore year 1st semester and i'm still here! you'll be fine if you just maintain your gpa or do better and do well on the mcat