Bad to mention activities in PS and on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woltej1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in the thread about the work/activities, it says to avoid saying the same activities as your most meaningful and then also mention them in your PS. For me though I had all 3 in my PS, which kind of makes sense since I consider them meaningful since they impacted me. Should I find different material for my PS and save those for the AMCAS portion, or just come at them from different angles in both.

Members don't see this ad.

Do as you feel most comfortable.

What was advised is use the extra space for other activities. If those three are the most meaningful experiences and helped shape your decision to pursue medicine, then use it for PS and use most meaningful for something else (and what you learned from those other activities).

You can also use the space to provide another perspective if you really want to, but it is not advised. Again do as you feel most comfortable.

Regardless of what you choose, focus on content quality and concision.

What I suggest is build upon the EC and most meaningful. You write them as solid foundations in the appropriate sections and then you write your PS assuming the reader has read those EC and meaningful statements. So you can discuss what you did in EC and then what meant to, how it motivated you, etc into medicine in the PS
Do you think using a very specific story from my experiences in my PS and how it affected me and then giving a much more general take away in the EC would separate them enough so it doesn't seem like I'm regurgitating the same stuff?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think I'd need even close to 2000 characters if I explained the facts. Is that a problem or is marking it as meaningful just to bring it to the attention of an adcom to make it a possible talking point.

Chose a different story to talk about in your most meaningful essay than the one you talked about in personal statement. There must be more than 1 stories you can talk about if that activity is something you deam important enough to talk about in your personal statement and list as one of the most meaningful activities