Bad to take Physics at a Cal State?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anonymous.2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a first year at UCLA and am wondering how bad it would be for me to take physics at a Cal State over the summer instead of at UCLA? I would take the classes over two summers. I have no physics background, but have taken calculus. I have done well my first two quarters so far.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are currently doing well in your first two quarters, what is motivating you to take physics at Cal State? If you have been handling UCLA well so far, I don't really see why it would be necessary to consider taking classes elsewhere. Also, while taking pre-req classes at 'lower-tier' schools is allowed (at most medical schools, some do not allow it to count as a pre-req), it's generally not recommended unless there are extenuating circumstances.

If you are currently doing well in your first two quarters, what is motivating you to take physics at Cal State? If you have been handling UCLA well so far, I don't really see why it would be necessary to consider taking classes elsewhere. Also, while taking pre-req classes at 'lower-tier' schools is allowed (at most medical schools, some do not allow it to count as a pre-req), it's generally not recommended unless there are extenuating circumstances.

I have been doing well because I have a strong background in chemistry (from AP Chem), so the courses have not been too difficult thus far. However, I have zero physics background (never took a class in high school) So would not like to not do well in physics at UCLA

I have been doing well because I have a strong background in chemistry (from AP Chem), so the courses have not been too difficult thus far. However, I have zero physics background (never took a class in high school) So would not like to not do well in physics at UCLA

I think you are not giving yourself enough credit, not a lot of students have a background in Physics coming into college (or if there was a background, it was minimal). Professors that teach physics for pre-medical (re: non-major) students are usually cognizant of this and teach it to that level. The question of whether or not to take physics at Cal State would probably be a better discussion after getting your feet wet at UCLA for physics to see if your fears would be confirmed or not. If Physics does prove to be an impossible task (which I do not think it will be), you can drop the class early on and then head towards other avenues to take care of the pre-req. I just don't see the point of worrying about something that you have not even experienced yet for the first time, don't jump ship over unsubstantiated worries.

Reactions: 1 user