Balamurali Ambati: MD at 17

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

every1blowz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Balamurali Ambati, M.D. (born July 29, 1977) is, according to The Guinness Book of Records the world's youngest doctor.

Ambati graduated from New York University at the age of 13 and Mount Sinai School of Medicine at age 17, becoming the world's youngest doctor in 1995. He completed ophthalmology residency at Harvard University, where he developed strategies to reverse corneal angiogenesis after becoming a winner at the Westinghouse Science Talent Search and the International Science & Engineering Fair and becoming a National Merit Scholar. He is completing cornea and refractive surgery fellowship at Duke University."

I don't know about the rest of you but this is the first time I have heard of anything like this. God damn, this is a freakin' child prodigy.

Members don't see this ad.

every1blowz said:
"Balamurali Ambati, M.D. (born July 29, 1977) is, according to The Guinness Book of Records the world's youngest doctor.

Ambati graduated from New York University at the age of 13 and Mount Sinai School of Medicine at age 17, becoming the world's youngest doctor in 1995. He completed ophthalmology residency at Harvard University, where he developed strategies to reverse corneal angiogenesis after becoming a winner at the Westinghouse Science Talent Search and the International Science & Engineering Fair and becoming a National Merit Scholar. He is completing cornea and refractive surgery fellowship at Duke University."

I don't know about the rest of you but this is the first time I have heard of anything like this. God damn, this is a freakin' child prodigy.

But has he gotten laid yet? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
To be honest I feel sorry for the poor bastard. He probably had a screwed up childhood with a overpowering father he always wanted to please. His father was very very dominating in his education. I read an article about it. Poor kid. I won't cry just yet cause he will get plenty of ass with a six figure salary at the age of 19. He is like doogie howser! Truly making desi people proud! Even though in his picture he looks like a flamboyant homosexual(i didn't use the 3 letter G or the F word)

Here is a link to the face every non-trad would love to punch:
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=46017&Reg=1

"DARKNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" - Chapelle

lol- being south asian i can officially say that this parent will have the most to brag about at the dinner party!

Impressive. An endocrinologist at my school finished his MD at 20. And I have to live with his crazy son right now :cool:

swifteagle43 said:
To be honest I feel sorry for the poor bastard. He probably had a screwed up childhood with a overpowering father he always wanted to please. !

Don't we all want to please our parents?

Anyway, the guy obviously has to be very self-driven. A domineering parent can only get you so far in life.

yposhelley said:
Don't we all want to please our parents?

Anyway, the guy obviously has to be very self-driven. A domineering parent can only get you so far in life.

The kid is only 17....he is a robot.....

every1blowz said:

It is a child prodigy, however, Sho Yano can be finished at 16 if he decides to get only an M.D. Too bad, due to Malpractice issues, he has been accepted to med-scientist (MD-Phd) program. I remeber while he was at Loyola, he was like a celeberity. Everyone followed him around, especially when he first enrolled. I wish I had taken a class with him. Here's the link:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/08/25/sprj.sch.wonder.kid.ap/

Am I the only one who thinks there's something wrong with allowing these child prodigies into medical school?

They may have intellectual intelligence, but that doesn't mean they also have emotional maturity.

I don't care how driven he is, I'm not letting a sixteen year old medical student do a pelvic exam on me. Think about a 16 year old boy getting to examine your nether-regions.

I just think it's inapropriate. They become a side show for the medical school.

EMTLizzy said:
Am I the only one who thinks there's something wrong with allowing these child prodigies into medical school?

They may have intellectual intelligence, but that doesn't mean they also have emotional maturity.

I don't care how driven he is, I'm not letting a sixteen year old medical student do a pelvic exam on me. Think about a 16 year old boy getting to examine your nether-regions.

who are u to say he is not "emotionally mature"? considering he excelled in most aspects of his life, im willing to say he is mature beyond his years...

jtank said:
who are u to say he is not "emotionally mature"? considering he excelled in most aspects of his life, im willing to say he is mature beyond his years...

Who am I? The one who would have to spread her legs to let him have a look-see.

The child had a gift. Unfortunately, coming from a South Asian background, I understand why this is such a classical case of parental pressure to become a doctor; It was not this way in my case, yet I am constantly exposed to these stereotypical notions as I see my friends' parents pushing them into nothing more than health and engineering professions. I still would have a hard time understanding how he explained his desire to pursue medicine during his initial interview (at 13 years old, mind you), however, he has proved himself, and will continue to make model achievements in the future. This is all that should be recognized at this point. He had a gift, and he still does. It will serve him well in whatever he does.

Members don't see this ad :)
swifteagle43 said:
But has he gotten laid yet? :)

Or better yet, has he cured cancer?

swifteagle43 said:

HA!!!!

Can he even write prescriptions? Don't you need to be 21 for a license to practice medicine?

swifteagle43 said:
To be honest I feel sorry for the poor bastard. He probably had a screwed up childhood with a overpowering father he always wanted to please. His father was very very dominating in his education. I read an article about it. Poor kid. I won't cry just yet cause he will get plenty of ass with a six figure salary at the age of 19. He is like doogie howser! Truly making desi people proud! Even though in his picture he looks like a flamboyant homosexual(i didn't use the 3 letter G or the F word)

Here is a link to the face every non-trad would love to punch:
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=46017&Reg=1

lol- being south asian i can officially say that this parent will have the most to brag about at the dinner party!

Dude you crack me up. "Flamboyant homosexual"

EMTLizzy said:

Yes, seeing how his work in corneal and refractive surgery should make your "nether-region" very concerned about his maturity level. Given what it seems like this kid has accomplished, not only would i say he is mature but him/his family probably thought about such possible social issues. Oh, I also think your more qualifed than mt. sinai, harvard, and duke to judge this kid's level of maturity to make it through medical school and residency since you've met him, looked over all of his work, conducted interviews on him and all. sorry for sounding like a jerk but it makes me confrontational when we think we can get on our high and mighty screen names and question the beneficial work others have done.

Look, I agree with some of the posts in that I'm sure parental pressure/influence has played some part (and well maybe he hasn't been laid yet) but the fact that he's already made contributions to the practice of medicine while I (and I assume most of the people who post here) am just a smart alecky premed yet to start/be accepted into medical school puts him in the group of people I respect. if someday he does something that newspapers will write about as a sob story of a boy who should've been allowed to truely grow up and thus maybe reach his full potential right on time, i'll eat crow. but until then give this fella some props. even if it was too much based on parental influence, he is making contributions to the health of society and that is whats on the scoreboard.

I have to agree with EMTLizzy's standpoint....clearly he is smart enough to become a doctor at the age of 17, so what is exactly is there to lose by delaying that feat by 6, 7, or even 8 years? If he could get into med school at 13, why couldn't he excel through high school, go through college (and likely get scholarship money for that), and then still get into med school at 21 if he still really wanted to--AND get time to develop as a person and have a childhood-adolescent experience that wasn't so linear?

As it were on my interviews, it seems that now to come straight out of college on a track to graduate from med school at ~25/26 not only puts you on the young side, but also forces you to either pre-empt or respond to skepticism over how much you've "developed." This isn't to say the guy doesn't have amazing skills as a physician/researcher, but I just wonder about what prodigy kids miss in fast-forwarding life.

bidster said:
I have to agree with EMTLizzy's standpoint....clearly he is smart enough to become a doctor at the age of 17, so what is exactly is there to lose by delaying that feat by 6, 7, or even 8 years? If he could get into med school at 13, why couldn't he excel through high school, go through college (and likely get scholarship money for that), and then still get into med school at 21 if he still really wanted to--AND get time to develop as a person and have a childhood-adolescent experience that wasn't so linear?

As it were on my interviews, it seems that now to come straight out of college on a track to graduate from med school at ~25/26 not only puts you on the young side, but also forces you to either pre-empt or respond to skepticism over how much you've "developed."

more than valid point but maybe thats not what he wanted. like why do we have to enforce on others and define how they should "develop as a person and have a childhood-adolescent experience". i mean dosen't it seem like this kid is sort've special just by the fact the he didn't sputter out in medical school but has made it through two residencies? assuming he is just a special kid, i wouldn't want to limit him by imposing my standards of what is "normal" and "healthy". but like i said, i'll eat crow if this kid goes berzerk.

basten0 said:
more than valid point but maybe thats not what he wanted. like why do we have to enforce on others and define how they should "develop as a person and have a childhood-adolescent experience". i mean dosen't it seem like this kid is sort've special just by the fact the he didn't sputter out in medical school but has made it through two residencies? assuming he is just a special kid, i wouldn't want to limit him by imposing my standards of what is "normal" and "healthy".

I've taken a few childhood development classes, so I understand the concern of imposing a tempo of "normal" development....but flying through school is just something I question the value of. Unfortunately there's no way to really measure the difference that changing anything would have made, but no doubt he would have done some amazing things no matter when he pursued college and med school.

Wow, this thread just stinks of jealousy. This kid has been gifted and has breezed through his studies. I find it hilarious how people are judging him to lack intrapersonal skills etc without even meeting the guy. Instead of berating the kid, you should be supporting him. Who knows the kind of good he may end up doing for mankind with his impressive intellect. Maybe some of you should quit judging the kid before meeting him. :rolleyes:

And I love how everyone has their own definition of "normal" development. By that account, is it still normal for 30-somethings to apply to medical school (delayed development perhaps?) Of course not. The rules dont apply when you're a genius, and the kid was already not normal with his IQ, so why hate on him for realizing his potential. He could just have easily ended up as a burntout chess geek or god forbid hacking into our bank accounts... at least he chose a field to help people out.

bidster said:
I have to agree with EMTLizzy's standpoint....clearly he is smart enough to become a doctor at the age of 17, so what is exactly is there to lose by delaying that feat by 6, 7, or even 8 years?

6-8 years is a very long time. Maybe he doesn't want to wait that long, and if he is good enough to be in medical school now, why should he have to delay his own professional education? I actually agree with your point about not being "developed and emotionally ready" for the rigors of professional school and essentially growing up, but trying to see it from his perspective, it probably makes more sense for him to just go for it. If I were in his shoes, I think I would do the same no matter what other people thought as long as I was given the opportunity and I had the support structure from my family and friends. It's possible that he could still develop and grow in med school, it would just be in a different environment than most of us did.

Fantasy Sports said:
Wow, this thread just stinks of jealousy. This kid has been gifted and has breezed through his studies. I find it hilarious how people are judging him to lack intrapersonal skills etc without even meeting the guy. Instead of berating the kid, you should be supporting him. Who knows the kind of good he may end up doing for mankind with his impressive intellect. Maybe some of you should quit judging the kid before meeting him. :rolleyes:

And I love how everyone has their own definition of "normal" development. By that account, is it still normal for 30-somethings to apply to medical school (delayed development perhaps?) Of course not. The rules dont apply when you're a genius, and the kid was already not normal with his IQ, so why hate on him for realizing his potential. He could just have easily ended up as a burntout chess geek or god forbid hacking into our bank accounts... at least he chose a field to help people out.

That's all said and good, but the question still remains: has he cured cancer?

I think we're all judging him too harshly. You can ask the whole world for their opinion and you'll get approximately 6.4 billion different ones. Only he knows what the right thing was to do for himself. I'm proud of him and his achievements, even though that would not have been the route I would have chosen. I'm sure he will continue to make the decisions that he feel is right for him.

All the talk about him giving a pelvic exam is kind of overreacting. After graduating at the age of 17, he went into research---so none of you squeamish types out there would have to worry about him examining you especially in certain areas. Besides, he is in the area of ophthalmology.

yea maybe he shouldve waited i think, but maybe beethoven and mozart shouldve waited a few years and picked their nose and played in the dirt longer before they started composing symphonies and bobby fischer shouldve played candyland and chutes and ladders before moving on to something like chess. Did anyone on here have the intellectual maturity to study advanced science and math at age 9,10,12, i know i didn't so i'm sure their social skills are fine, the only problem is that everyone still treated him like other young kids so most likely its older people who create an awkward social environment.

and anyways, what does his interpersonal skills (or lack thereof) have to do with his practice in ophthalmology?? are u saying that all doctors have to be talkative, outgoing extroverts?

"desi" is a term that a lot of second-generation South Asians use to refer to each other and/or themselves. the word basically means someone from the same country (as opposed to "pardesi" -- foreigner)

EMT Lizzy, I think you hit the nail on the head. My parents think the kid is a genius, and 'he muscht be great dok-tur' and whatever, but I told them there aren't too many patients that will let this kid touch them. It's like reverse pedophilism. He could prob go do research, since there he won't be treating anybody. He got his start early, but in like ten years when his balls have dropped, I'm sure he'll make an indelible mark upon the world we live in.

QUOTE=EMTLizzy]Am I the only one who thinks there's something wrong with allowing these child prodigies into medical school?

I just think it's inapropriate. They become a side show for the medical school.[/QUOTE]

im gonna feel old...ill be 24 when i get a MD :(

drguy22 said:
im gonna feel old...ill be 24 when i get a MD :(

ha. thats insanely early

You all realize this guy is now 27? This record is from 10 years ago. I'm sure the last 10 years have made him a great physician.

Ambati graduated from New York University at the age of 13 and Mount Sinai School of Medicine at age 17, becoming the world's youngest doctor in 1995."

MDT said:
You all realize this guy is now 27? This record is from 10 years ago. I'm sure the last 10 years have made him a great physician.

Ambati graduated from New York University at the age of 13 and Mount Sinai School of Medicine at age 17, becoming the world's youngest doctor in 1995."

Yeah the dude works at the medical college of Georgia I believe. I remember reading this article on his work in LASIK.
http://my.webmd.com/content/article/93/102129.htm

anyway- hats off to him

shivalrous said:
Hey swifteagle, have we found out if he's gotten or will ever get laid yet? :laugh: :laugh:

Meh- shots are he probably worked with medical students his age. She probably slept with him for a shot at second author on a paper so she could land a better residency. Happens to successful men all the time. But unfortunately the woman leaves and the man in a state of broken dispair....woops...i have said too much!

Still we all have to give props to Darkness for his accomplishments.

jtank said:
are u saying that all doctors have to be talkative, outgoing extroverts?
How many SDNers are extroverts??

THat's BS this kid a genius and deserves admiration and respect. As for developing social skills, how street smart do you want him to be?

How many of you are frat /sorrority types??
I am in a frat, so I can ask the above q :D

Like I said before, he is my Indian American boy and I am proud of him :D

for the "has he cured cancer?" , no but has any Pakistani American even come close to something like this?? something you should be worried about
j/k
Live and let live, figuratively speaking

Premedtomed said:
How many SDNers are extroverts??

THat's BS this kid a genius and deserves admiration and respect. As for developing social skills, how street smart do you want him to be?

How many of you are frat /sorrority types??
I am in a frat, so I can ask the above q :D

Like I said before, he is my Indian American boy and I am proud of him :D

for the "has he cured cancer?" , no but has any Pakistani American even come close to something like this?? something you should be worried about
j/k
Live and let live, figuratively speaking

Dude we are all proud of Darkness as a desi community. It is not a matter of india/pakistan/bangladesh its a matter of overbearing parents. Btw desi frats don't count. And most SDNers are very extroverted- just look at their resumes(leadership positions, community service people). Most SDNers are also very driven and seek answers. Even though there are shy people on the forums to say everyone on SDN is shy is wrong.

As for this kid- he is a TOOL. Its one thing to be a shining star and its another to be a robot. While we are all proud of Darkness and he is a national treasure to all of us he is still immmature at the age of 17.

You can make as many arguments as you want but at the end of the day a 17 year old kid graduating medical school is NOT NORMAL. What it will take you almost 27 years to accomplish he accomplished in just 17. So now.....something had to have given.

Anybody that says that it is normal to be like this has never skipped a grade or two(like I did). Its one thing to connect to kids older than you a year or two(which is doable) but it is another thing to be 17 and be around 27 year olds. I am sure he was a hit at all the beer drinking keg parties. "Take a shot Darkness!!!" "Dude- you drink Koors like a monster Darkness." Point is darkness was 17 and missed out on a big experience of his life.

I bet Darkness made a LOT of sacrifices. Because without sacrifice nothing great was ever achieved.

btw stop using the word "man" it makes you sound very fobby. :p Uncle I am only trying to help you with your english. :) Sorry uncle- i did not mean to speak against you uncle. Uncle Uncle- aph upset to nahi ho gahyeh?

swifteagle43 said:
Dude we are all proud of Darkness as a desi community. It is not a matter of india/pakistan/bangladesh its a matter of overbearing parents. Btw desi frats don't count. And most SDNers are very extroverted- just look at their resumes(leadership positions, community service people). Most SDNers are also very driven and seek answers. Even though there are shy people on the forums to say everyone on SDN is shy is wrong.

As for this kid- he is a TOOL. Its one thing to be a shining star and its another to be a robot. While we are all proud of Darkness and he is a national treasure to all of us he is still immmature at the age of 17.

You can make as many arguments as you want but at the end of the day a 17 year old kid graduating medical school is NOT NORMAL. What it will take you almost 27 years to accomplish he accomplished in just 17. So now.....something had to have given.

Anybody that says that it is normal to be like this has never skipped a grade or two(like I did). Its one thing to connect to kids older than you a year or two(which is doable) but it is another thing to be 17 and be around 27 year olds. I am sure he was a hit at all the beer drinking keg parties. "Take a shot Darkness!!!" "Dude- you drink Koors like a monster Darkness." Point is darkness was 17 and missed out on a big experience of his life.

I bet Darkness made a LOT of sacrifices. Because without sacrifice nothing great was ever achieved.

btw stop using the word "man" it makes you sound very fobby. :p Uncle I am only trying to help you with your english. :) Sorry uncle- i did not mean to speak against you uncle. Uncle Uncle- aph upset to nahi ho gahyeh?

hey there,

i suggest u to be careful with ur choice of words when describin this fella. If what u meant by "darkness" was a racial slur, then u better get ready for a fight.......ok?

ur nobody to be proud of balamurali, alright?......u cant call him darkness and at the same time say ur proud of him. ur signature suggest that ur waiting for ur 5 minutes of fame....guess what.....this is ur lucky day.......ur five minutes of fame has come, when i shove my foot up ur tandoori a$$....

u think ur funny by saying that he didnt get laid?........oh yeah,......when i think of medical school and about this forum...i think of getting laid.....btw...that was sarcasm if u know what that word means........

dont be a wise guy by degrading an intellect..........u a$$ crack.........cause it will eventually be this "darkness" that would help ur mama back in mumbai to get over her medical conditions...........

U BETTER COME OUT OF THIS WITH AN APOLOGY......or if u want to continue with ur racial slurs, then u got it.......i'll give u a fight of ur life...u screw with me.....u'll leave this with a series of siezures...

why the hell did u call him a tool?.........man....ur lookin for a fight......i can understand ur jealous......and u come from a place where no-one can read or write.........but thats no way to address a person with exceptional qualities.....

here's the conclusion..........(if u can understand.....highly unlikely for ur case cause its genetics).........if u want to continue being a smarta$$ by making racial remarks.....go ahead..........i will debunk every crap u put out there.....

dont say some crap about him and back that up by saying that ur proud of him....cause ur nobody to be proud of him...and u even just said that he doesnt represent pple (or losers) like u....

ur a jackass, by coming to this forum and insulting a person with mindboggling contributions to the medical field.........while ur talkin about getting laid, with whom .........

i'm gonna stop now....cause ur already tired reading a couple of sentences....u low-life

reply if u dare

Status
Not open for further replies.