PhD/PsyD Balanced PhD program with Psychodynamic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

autumn7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been doing some of my own preliminary research about programs, and I figured I would post here in the event that others have insights or suggestions...

I am considering doing a PhD in Clinical Psychology, and am seeking specifically to do research in efficacy/effectiveness of psychodynamic psychotherapy for a range of diagnoses. If possible, I'd like to work with someone who is integrating fMRI and neurological research with psychodynamic/psychoanalytic research. I know that this is not likely to be well funded or high-priority research, but this is my interest.

Some of these researchers are clinicians at research hospitals, but not necessarily PIs within the university department. I know that this is a niche area of interest which will require researching individual PIs, but does anyone happen to know about programs where this kind of work is possible? Or specific faculty? I have my own beginning list, but would appreciate other leads.

Many thanks for lists or leads,
-Autumn7

Members don't see this ad.

I have been doing some of my own preliminary research about programs, and I figured I would post here in the event that others have insights or suggestions...

I am considering doing a PhD in Clinical Psychology, and am seeking specifically to do research in efficacy/effectiveness of psychodynamic psychotherapy for a range of diagnoses. If possible, I'd like to work with someone who is integrating fMRI and neurological research with psychodynamic/psychoanalytic research. I know that this is not likely to be well funded or high-priority research, but this is my interest.

Some of these researchers are clinicians at research hospitals, but not necessarily PIs within the university department. I know that this is a niche area of interest which will require researching individual PIs, but does anyone happen to know about programs where this kind of work is possible? Or specific faculty? I have my own beginning list, but would appreciate other leads.

Many thanks for lists or leads,
-Autumn7

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with both posts above. I was also thinking of Allan Schore. Look into who he publishes/collaborates with in NYC. I've been to his talks and he usually has a group NYC folks here who are right up his alley (i.e., same mode of thought).

Anyone know of any other schools not listed yet that provide at least some opportunities for psychodynamic training/ courses?

I'm only familiar with Northeastern programs...here's a few more that I'm sure will give balanced psychodynamic/CBT training that can involve psychotherapy/psychodynamic research.

Rutgers (excellent program)
The New School for Social Research (although I hear their program is tough and expensive, but the Mariam and Howard Steele's attachment research is amazing)
Yeshiva University (again, expensive)
Fairleigh Dickson (although I believe it is fairly balanced, but you have to double check)
Pace University (but they have a clinical/school doctoral degree)

Also look into Fordham University, but everyone I know who comes out of there is focused on behavioral health or CBT training...so there may be some opportunity if you push. It is a good program and funded.

George Washington University's PSYD program is heavily psychodynamic and has very close ties with the DC area analyst community. A majority of the faculty are/were connected with Chestnut Lodge.

PM me if you are interested in details about this program.

Thank you all for sharing this information. I'm over a year late in my reply, but this is very helpful info for my upcoming application process.

Are there additional balanced programs with dynamic focus? I have the 'Guide to grad programs in clinical psychology', but I don't want to miss hidden gems, or big schools with a few good advisors. I'm partial to cities in the North East and along the West coast, but would not rule out other locations.

Thanks!