Balancing MD application and MCAT retake vs retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Washrespremed

Reaction score
Hi SDN, new member here. I just took the MCAT in April and got a 504 (127,125,126,126) which was disappointing as my AAMC FL averages were around 509-510 and I had a bad loss of focus on test day that just got the better of me. So I plan to do a retake by the end of the summer, maybe as early as mid June or early July (depending on where I'm at in practice again).

I've completed a fair amount of the application already but feel I should redo my PS and put more time into the activities section. I have only 40 hours shadowing experience but also an additional 220 hours of clinic experience. My cGPA is 3.55 and my sGPA is 3.98.

Anyway, should I continue and finish the app process and switch over to MCAT retake? or focus only on the MCAT and delay a year? I fear my 504 isn't gonna cut it with MD schools. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would advise you to focus on the MCAT and wait a year. You want to do this one time and do it right.
You can beef up your shadowing and focus on ECs during this year, as well.
Another option is applying D.O. when you get your new MCAT score back.
Are you confident that you can score higher? How much time did you put into your studying? Did you prep with a formal test-taking company?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would advise you to focus on the MCAT and wait a year. You want to do this one time and do it right.
You can beef up your shadowing and focus on ECs during this year, as well.
Another option is applying D.O. when you get your new MCAT score back.
Are you confident that you can score higher? How much time did you put into your studying? Did you prep with a formal test-taking company?
I put about 5 months into prep, and I am confident I can score higher. I really put everything I had into studying but I really got thrown off on test day and lost my focus (maybe it was long-covid concentration problems too). I probably should have voided and just retaken a couple weeks later cause it felt really off that day. I do want to do everything I can to make sure the second attempt is better and more in line with my practice FLs.

Yeah. Remember to practice under test conditions (crowded computer lab, same snack/beverages that you will bring the day of the MCAT, same time, etc.). I am sorry that you had a bad experience. Remember that practice problems will help you more than passive reading/taking notes. I would also strongly advise you to consider applying D.O.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi SDN, new member here. I just took the MCAT in April and got a 504 (127,125,126,126) which was disappointing as my AAMC FL averages were around 509-510 and I had a bad loss of focus on test day that just got the better of me. So I plan to do a retake by the end of the summer, maybe as early as mid June or early July (depending on where I'm at in practice again).

I've completed a fair amount of the application already but feel I should redo my PS and put more time into the activities section. I have only 40 hours shadowing experience but also an additional 220 hours of clinic experience. My cGPA is 3.55 and my sGPA is 3.98.

Anyway, should I continue and finish the app process and switch over to MCAT retake? or focus only on the MCAT and delay a year? I fear my 504 isn't gonna cut it with MD schools. Thanks!
You could probably get into DO. If you want MD you would need to retake the MCAT.

Honestly unless you have ADD or ADHD you need to look into how a bad day had that much impact on your score. I had to flip my sleeping schedule to take it and did well so it's hard to think that a bad day is enough to tank a score. Study well enough to know that no matter what you'll be ready and you'll be in a better spot to do well.

Reactions: 2 users

Retake (if you want MD) when you feel ready, improve the experiences and apply next cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly unless you have ADD or ADHD you need to look into how a bad day had that much impact on your score. I had to flip my sleeping schedule to take it and did well so it's hard to think that a bad day is enough to tank a score. Study well enough to know that no matter what you'll be ready and you'll be in a better spot to do well.
Anecdotally those who can be prone to panic/anxiety attack or not taking FLs under test conditions can also cause a huge deflation