Banking Credentials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am currently earning postdoc hours and would like to bank my credentials for future mobility since who knows what the future might bring!

I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on the ASPPB banking system versus the National Register banking system.

Any and all facts, opinions, or personal experiences welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

They will probably both work fine and often streamline job and licensure application (but are not yet absolutely necessary). I'd look at the comparative cost. National Registry began with a focus on health service providers so is more standard for hospital systems, etc. I would guess. Maybe ASPPB is more linked to the traditional path for academic/teaching jobs? Their mission is about inter-jurisdictional regulations I think so may be better if you expect to move between states or will be applying for licensure in multiple states at one time. I'd contact both offices and see which one seems to be more customer friendly.

I have been wondering this as well! No one really seems to talk about the differences between the ASPPB and National Register credential banking. This is the most helpful article I could find, and it's from 2006. http://www.apa.org/monitor/julaug06/license.aspx

The biggest differences I could find were cost (National Register is more expensive now that the ASPPB is free to bank prior to licensure) and that the certification for the National Register is earned upon licensure but for the ASPPB's CPQ credential, you have to wait 5 years post-licensure to get it. I don't know if people had a problem with mobility with the ASPPB within a few years after licensure--I, for one, am almost certainly going to be moving within 5 years post-licensure. I would appreciate anyone else's experiences/knowledge regarding credential banking as it has been difficult trying to figure out the comparitive benefits of the NR and ASPPB.