Barry University Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences Fall 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoxerRumble

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see an official thread for those who are attending Barry University this coming fall. Anyone else going in the fall? I am doing the one year program as a pre dental student. Does anyone know a good place to live? I keep hearing the area around Barry is not so good, so which direction...north, south, east or west of the school should I look at?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll have about 43 classmates for the option 1 track, I think the breakdown is the majority is pre-med with a substantial amount of pre-dental as well. I've been accepted into the year long MBS as well but I'll be declining the seat for a different program.

From the information I've gathered, living around the immediate Barry area is not that bad but if you go past 3-4 blocks south, you're going to start hitting the unsavory areas.

You should look to apply around the region especially Nova which accepts about 12-14 Barry students a year into their medical and dental school

Yeah, Nova dental school is actually one of the schools I want to get into when I apply. My gf will be attending U of Miami medical school so would be great to go to Nova. Also, UNLV is another target school I want to get into and one of the deans actually know about Barry University and some of the students are from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
i recently received my acceptance letter from barry biomed program. i am also a pre-dental student. i applied to nova this past year and was placed on the waiting list. the reason why i applied to barry is bc i heard many of its graduates get accepted the following year. my science gpa is about 3.5 and my dat is decent..(AA: 19, TS: 20, PAT: 19)..

i am re-taking the dat in late july bc i want to give myself more time to study..

but my question is: is this program worth it? also, any comparison between barry's biomed program and ga-pcom's? ga-pcom only gives you a certificate after a year but i understand with barry you earn a masters. ga-pcom is a lot closer to home for me but i would rather go to the school that will increase my probability of getting accepted the following year. any advice regarding my situation would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

Well I would take my own advice that I'm about to give with a grain of salt till you can find some solid evidence to back it up, but whatever I'm about to say is my own opinion which has been shaped by reading many other threads/posts over the years on this topic.

I would personally go with Barry's MBS program provided you are in the accelerated 1 year track over GA-PCOM's if you're a pre-dental student. If you're trying to get into Nova's dental program through an SMP, then Barry's 1 Year MBS is the next best thing to Nova's own MBS program. Nova accepts about 8-12 students every year into their MBS with differing amounts of pre-dent and pre-med each year and theres a virtually 100% matriculation from that point into whichever program you wish to go into at Nova provided you have an 80% or better in your classes.

Barry on the other hand sends about 10-14 students into either program at Nova (medical and dental) which is substantial if you understand that Barry is an podiatry/health sciences school. I doubt you will find many if any other program that sends as many students into another school's professional program based off an unofficial linkage. Whereas I have seen varying reports on Barry's efficacy on sending pre-medical students into medical school, I have seen mostly positive storeis for pre-dental students achieving their goals going through Barry's program, though the schools they end up attending are all mostly in the southeastern region of the US.

PCOM-GA is a program (imo) that caters primarily towards the pre-medical student. It is also a "new" program in that it's only been around for a few years. Though the curriculum may be similar to that of Barry's and other SMPs, I personally don't believe the reputation is the same for dental. I'd think you're better off looking at UMDNJ's MBS for dental since they offer dental school courses or BU MAMS' oral track. Maybe even AZCOM since MWU's health sciences umbrella includes dental school.

Barry is expensive but I believe for dental, it will be the better option of the two that you have. Your DAT is ok in that though 19 is a slightly lower score than you would want in applying into dental school with your GPA (you want to be 20+ but you already know that I'm sure), you at least have pretty even scores across the board instead of 19/20/16/18 etc. I'd try and get that PAT score to a 20 at the very least and apply early, I think you have a decent shot at dental if you have the rest of the application w/o one of these programs.

Good luck

Well I would take my own advice that I'm about to give with a grain of salt till you can find some solid evidence to back it up, but whatever I'm about to say is my own opinion which has been shaped by reading many other threads/posts over the years on this topic.

I would personally go with Barry's MBS program provided you are in the accelerated 1 year track over GA-PCOM's if you're a pre-dental student. If you're trying to get into Nova's dental program through an SMP, then Barry's 1 Year MBS is the next best thing to Nova's own MBS program. Nova accepts about 8-12 students every year into their MBS with differing amounts of pre-dent and pre-med each year and theres a virtually 100% matriculation from that point into whichever program you wish to go into at Nova provided you have an 80% or better in your classes.

Barry on the other hand sends about 10-14 students into either program at Nova (medical and dental) which is substantial if you understand that Barry is an podiatry/health sciences school. I doubt you will find many if any other program that sends as many students into another school's professional program based off an unofficial linkage. Whereas I have seen varying reports on Barry's efficacy on sending pre-medical students into medical school, I have seen mostly positive storeis for pre-dental students achieving their goals going through Barry's program, though the schools they end up attending are all mostly in the southeastern region of the US.

PCOM-GA is a program (imo) that caters primarily towards the pre-medical student. It is also a "new" program in that it's only been around for a few years. Though the curriculum may be similar to that of Barry's and other SMPs, I personally don't believe the reputation is the same for dental. I'd think you're better off looking at UMDNJ's MBS for dental since they offer dental school courses or BU MAMS' oral track. Maybe even AZCOM since MWU's health sciences umbrella includes dental school.

Barry is expensive but I believe for dental, it will be the better option of the two that you have. Your DAT is ok in that though 19 is a slightly lower score than you would want in applying into dental school with your GPA (you want to be 20+ but you already know that I'm sure), you at least have pretty even scores across the board instead of 19/20/16/18 etc. I'd try and get that PAT score to a 20 at the very least and apply early, I think you have a decent shot at dental if you have the rest of the application w/o one of these programs.

Good luck

thank you very much..that helps a lot!

Yo I'm going to this program, I'm pre-dental and in the 1 year track as well. I hear areas like Aventura are good...its about 6-7 miles from Barry, but I plan on going down to visit in early July to figure out living for the year. If anyone is interested in possibly splitting a 2-3 bedroom apartment PM me...

If you have strong Barry grades, good DAT, and show continued volunteering/shadowing...should be golden. At least that's the type of conversations I had with the D-school admission advisors I talked to.

I will be attending Barry as well this fall--I'm looking for a place to stay as well. Do you know if graduate students can stay on campus and whether there are housing units available for us? If not, then where is the most safe, clean, and cheap place I could find? Thanks!

I will be attending Barry as well this fall--I'm looking for a place to stay as well. Do you know if graduate students can stay on campus and whether there are housing units available for us? If not, then where is the most safe, clean, and cheap place I could find? Thanks!

There's no housing for grad students. Sounds like the area very close to Barry isn't the best, but for ~$500/month and walking distance I wouldn't toss that option out the window right away. The only sure bet is for you to actually visit the area and decide where you wanna live...

Hey guys...I have also been accepted to the program and plan on attending in the fall. Does anybody know when we start? Also, I am from south florida and live about 20 minutes north of Barry in Aventura/North Miami Beach. Its definitely true the area around Barry is not the best...I would suggest going north to my area; however, when you get into the high rises in Aventura it can be pretty pricey. If you go east of I-95 you are going toward aventura but there are a lot of houses and what not there right off the highway. If you go west of I-95 they will probably have more options in the California Club Homes area...anyways if anyone has any specific questions feel free to contact me [email protected]. Cant wait to meet all of you!

Can you guys who got in to the 1year program at Barry post your stats, and also anyone who graduated or maybe what you guys have heard about their curriculum and difficulty of courses and experience after graduating from this program; please chime in, thanks

There's an orientation on Aug. 27th and classes start the 30th...My stats were 3.25 gpa and 19/20/18 (DAT).

is there anyone who applied to 2 years biomedical program? and got accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
2.85 cGPA, 26T MCAT 20 DAT. Option 1 track (1 year accel track)

Ill be applying for the spring two year program. I called and they told me we are allowed to take classes over the summer so that will help me speed things up. Im living with my brother since I am from the area (Hialeah). But theres so decent places on Biscayne. Hialeah is also pretty affordable, most will say its a bad area but I can vouch that it really isnt.

Hey everyone, I´m also doing the one-year program starting this fall. Has anyone had any luck with housing? Any recommendations? See you all soon!

Hey guys, I am also going to be going to be doing the 1-year track. I recently emailed Dr. Abdellatif about housing because I was so confused. I am from Illinois and have only been to Miami twice. Anyways, if you contact him he will give your name to the BMS President, who can help you out. I am going to call him tomorrow, so I will post what he says.

cool, I'm from Illinois too...I was planning on going down there and finding a place to live (they don't offer housing to us). Hopefully there's some useful info...

Hi,

I am also planning on attending this fall. I'm from California and have never been to Miami. I think it would be cool to live with people who are also in the program. If anyone is interested in rooming please let me know.

Thanks!

Hey I am currently in the BMS program (18months but decided to skip summer to study for DAT) anyways I am in a 2/2 in Aventura and really want to stay in that area. Therefore, if anyone is looking for roomate in Aventura send me a message or if you need advice on the places to live.

Hey guys.. does anyone know what time classes will be until each day? Maybe from word of mouth or if you are in the program? Thanks!

Hey guys,

I'm from Colorado and I am also in the one year program this fall. Has anyone received information about housing, cost of attendance, etc.? I just received a welcome letter and when the orientation day is but nothing else. If anyone knows any information let me know. Thanks!

Hello everyone,

Congrats on coming to Barry this fall. My name is Jon and I am the president of the BMS Society. If you need help finding housing feel free to email me at

[email protected]

Also, if you are looking to live with someone please state that in the email. Miami are is a bit pricey compared to small college towns and such so i suggest living with someone to cut the expenses. I also have a good realtor that can help you guys out free of charge so email me when ever you want. Take care and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Jon

Hi Everyone. I was accepted into the 18 month program for pre-medical at Barry. I haven't decided 100% whether or not I'm going to attend or not, but I'm really leaning in that direction. I found a couple of houses that are only four blocks or so north of the campus. Does anyone know if north of campus is a good area? Does anyone know about the timeframe in which we should plan on getting books, registering for classes, etc? I'm coming from California and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:D

any of you guys get your financial aid yet? I did my fasfa already, now should i email barry or they'll automatically send me all the info?

You should call them. They should be sending you a letter stating all the details of the aid you are getting. I had to call them last week because they said they were sending the letter, but it got lost.

Has anyone heard anything in regards to orientation or when we can register for our classes? Thanks...

Orientation and class registration is on Aug 27th. Classes start the 30th, although your schedule is pretty much decided already (depending if you are premed vs. predent).

I received notice last Wednesday that I have been accepted into the one year program. I still haven't received any information on what to do, how long I have to place a deposit, etc.

Is there a facebook group for our class? if not then lets make one! also have you guys found a place to live yet?

Anyone know the percentage rate for Allopathic or Osteopathic matriculation following the MS in BMS degree? I'm from the Miami area, and I would like to know if Barry would be a good program to attend since I want to go to medical school. Thanks!

Hey did you make your trip down there yet? If you have, are there any apartments you suggest that you looked at? Thanks!

Yo I'm going to this program, I'm pre-dental and in the 1 year track as well. I hear areas like Aventura are good...its about 6-7 miles from Barry, but I plan on going down to visit in early July to figure out living for the year. If anyone is interested in possibly splitting a 2-3 bedroom apartment PM me...

If you have strong Barry grades, good DAT, and show continued volunteering/shadowing...should be golden. At least that's the type of conversations I had with the D-school admission advisors I talked to.

Does anyone know what the grading system is like at Barry?

I hear it's something like:
A= 4.0 =90+
B= 3.0 =80-89
C=2.0 = 70-79
etc.

if this is true, do you guys know if it's hard to get 90s in this program? At my undergrad school, 90s are very very rare, and 80s are extremely good. I'm kind of freaking out, because I have no choice but to get at least a 3.9 in my Master's.

Hey everyone, congrats to you all! I see that a couple of people are interested in rooming together, if so I am very interested. I just went apartment hunting and it sucks to get a one bedroom, so I wanted to know if anyone was interested in rooming with me. I found some great places with good prices. Just let me know.

Jags - I'm thinking about taking the same route as you. The one bedroom's are too expensive but I've seen decent nice 2-3 bedrooms on craigslist. If you want to, send me what you've found and maybe we can work out something.

Hey aDentite, email me at [email protected] about housing because I check that more frequently. I went apartment hunting yesterday and I found a couple of good places. Email me so I can know your budget as well. Hope to hear from you soon. Take care.

Hey aDentite, email me at [email protected] about housing because I check that more frequently. I went apartment hunting yesterday and I found a couple of good places. Email me so I can know your budget as well. Hope to hear from you soon. Take care.

I am in the same position as you guys. I am in Miami looking for a place to live but one bedrooms/studios are pricey if you want something decent. The places that are affordable do not look too safe and the neighborhoods aren't the best. Please let me know if any of you are looking for a house mate. I am looking to share an apartment with one or two quiet, studious males.

I was accepted into the 18 month program for pre-medical at Barry, but haven't decided whether or not I'm going to attend or not. Does anyone know how financial aid works for graduate programs at Barry? Are loans your only option?

Anyone still looking for a roommate?

Anyone still looking for a roommate?

I might be looking for a roommate depending on if I can/cannot find decently priced housing. I am a girl and will have a small dog with me if anyone may be interested.

hey guys, i am too looking for people in this program to live with. I am semi studious (we are in miami expect even the studious to become semi-studious haha), male, and definitely dont mind pets. email is [email protected]. see you all sooon :)

Hey everyone! I was also accepted into Barry's 1 year program. My undergraduate GPA is low (3.0) and I haven't taken the DAT yet :bang: so I'm taking this route to improve my application for dental school. I'm also curious about the schedule of classes. All I know is the orientation is next Friday. By everyone's posts I feel pretty intimidated by the workload.

Last edited:
I just got my acceptance for spring of 2011 18 month program anyone else who did pm me plz

I just got my acceptance for spring of 2011 18 month program anyone else who did pm me plz
Hello Ramil,

Just saw your post:
"I just got my acceptance for spring of 2011 18 month program anyone else who did pm me plz"

Congrats!!

My application for spring 2011 was turned in a long time ago, but somehow the admissions committee received it incomplete...I was missing my 2 science letters of recommendation. As a result the committee has deferred a decision on my app until they rec these letters. My profs have finally turned them in this week.

I was hoping you could offer some insight on the admissions process:
1-After your app was complete, how long did it take for you to hear from them?
2-Is there an interview? If so, how was it? A friend of mine just interview for Barry's PA prog & said that this year they are doing group interviews bc its time and $cost effective....I wonder if they are doing the same for BMS prog??

Thank you for your help!!

No interview and the turn around time is fast, probably a week or two at the very most.

is inorganic chemistry required as a pre-req in order to apply for Barry?

nm, found out inorganic chemistry is the same as general chemistry -_- sorry for the dumb question

Last edited: