Basic in-state residency question?

wykwang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I grew up in Illinois my whole life, but am attending a large state school in a different state for undergrad, what state am I still considered "in-state" for medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Illinois. Aren't you paying OOS tuition at this state school in another state? Where do your parents pay taxes?
It will help you to look at the residency policies at each school in whichever state you are currently in. Some schools are more generous than others.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently paying half-tuition at my OOS state school, so the tuition was cheaper than UIUC. My parents pay taxes for Illinois. In general would I be considered an in-state resident for my OOS state school and Illinois schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently paying half-tuition at my OOS state school, so the tuition was cheaper than UIUC. My parents pay taxes for Illinois. In general would I be considered an in-state resident for my OOS state school and Illinois schools?
You are a resident of IL. You going to college in MN doesn't change that.

Unless you formally establish residency (voter registration, driver's license, tax statements, etc.) in another state, you're still considered an IL resident. My having lived OOS for uni doesn't change my residency status unless I had actually established residency in that new state and started paying their in-state tuition fees.