Basic primer for the budding dermatologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluenevus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey you guys! Would you provide me with any advice on an affordable, fundamental text that I can use during my dermatology AI and on away rotations? Of course, I use UpToDate, etc., but it'd be nice to have a classic "picture book." Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey you guys! Would you provide me with any advice on an affordable, fundamental text that I can use during my dermatology AI and on away rotations? Of course, I use UpToDate, etc., but it'd be nice to have a classic "picture book." Thanks a lot!

Fitzpatrick's color atlas of dermatology
Lookingbill principles of dermatology

Simple flip-thru primers.

After that you can tackle a basic textbook - ie Andrews.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Awesome! Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad :)

A resident was nice enough to give me their old copy of Lookingbill 4th edition (2006). Do you think it's still worth it to buy the most recent version (2013)? Sorry for the silly question.

I would recommend-

Basic text: Lookingbills, AAD Derm Modules
Reference text: Fitzpatricks Color Atlas (don't just read this book, it's thicker and longer, just reference if you have a specific question).
On-the-fly iPhone app: Get a 1-month free subscription to VisualDx for when you're seeing patients in clinic. Or just chalk it up and pay the $25/month fee for 1 month. It's worth it, great app.

Read Lookingbill. AAD has great powerpoints meant for students. Google/dermnet for references.

You'll do great!

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it.

I was a big fan of "Dermatology Secrets"

Reactions: 1 user