basic science research experience valuable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaige333

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a 25 yo BS/MS graduate in biology and have been doing basic science research for a couple years with 1 journal publication and a few poster presentations. Lately I've been considering a career change and thinking of PT. I wonder how valualbe is basic science research to PT admission? If anything, would it confer me any "edge" over other applicants at all? Or it depends on the program and/or how I spin it? It would be very helpful if anyone could point out to me any programs that value research experience. Thank you so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't imagine them not looking upon that as a valuable experience.

Very few programs, if any, require research experience. However to see which ones would value it the most, maybe look to see which programs have a research component as part of their curriculum?

My BS science GPA is 3.52, master degree GPA 3.87, and I am expecting my GRE to be ~1300 if not above, with 3 years of research experience, 1 journal and 3 poster publications. Trying to clock in ~100 hours of combined volunteer and PT aide (if any) experience. What do you think my chances are for research schools like USC, UCSF, mayo, and the university of miami?

My BS science GPA is 3.52, master degree GPA 3.87, and I am expecting my GRE to be ~1300 if not above, with 3 years of research experience, 1 journal and 3 poster publications. Trying to clock in ~100 hours of combined volunteer and PT aide (if any) experience. What do you think my chances are for research schools like USC, UCSF, mayo, and the university of miami?

Your stats are great, but unless you are pursuing a phd at these schools also, I am not sure why your research experience (which is great) will be of any greater benefit than any other cool extra-curricular that can liven up your interview. A great researcher can be a crappy clinician...