Bay Area California Pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nadiarx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Currently working for a major retailer and been doing so for the past decade or so. I am just now trying to see what's out there in the market but here in the bay area, the market for new positions seems to be tight. Are bay area pharmacist experiencing the same thing I am experiencing?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

Currently working for a major retailer and been doing so for the past decade or so. I am just now trying to see what's out there in the market but here in the bay area, the market for new positions seems to be tight. Are bay area pharmacist experiencing the same thing I am experiencing?

yea you're considered retail material only and untrainable. good luck.

I know someone who just made the transition from a major retail chain to outpatient pharmacist at Kaiser. If you do that, be ready to lose all your benefits, as it is not guaranteed full time (though they certainly have enough work to keep you there 40h/week).

Members don't see this ad :)
How long would it take to get licensed in California?

How long would it take to get licensed in California?

Took me from April to September a few years ago - I was already licensed in other states.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hello all,

I'm still trying to figure out how much do retail or outpatient pharmacist actually make in the bay area lol I saw someone on here say at least $70, but that seems really high or I'm just getting jibbed

I'm a new grad and I am working for a chain in the Bay Area. Kaiser took a bunch of pharmacists so I was able to get a job here. I heard some of them are trying to come back now because they are not getting enough hours.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm still trying to figure out how much do retail or outpatient pharmacist actually make in the bay area lol I saw someone on here say at least $70, but that seems really high or I'm just getting jibbed

Talking to few of my classmates that work in retail in bay area all seem to pretty consistently fall in the $70-75 hourly range. They all have at least a few years of retail experience though.

Talking to few of my classmates that work in retail in bay area all seem to pretty consistently fall in the $70-75 hourly range. They all have at least a few years of retail experience though.

MF!!! I have a few years under my belt too... Imma gonna kick someone's ass lol

have you looked at cost of living in SF? $70 there is similar to $35 in many other very nice cities

have you looked at cost of living in SF? $70 there is similar to $35 in many other very nice cities

Yes, but the COL for SF is very similar to NYC where pharmacists are making closer to $125K (my understanding is pharmacists are mostly salary in NYC, and there are outliers making more and less)

Yes, but the COL for SF is very similar to NYC where pharmacists are making closer to $125K (my understanding is pharmacists are mostly salary in NYC, and there are outliers making more and less)

The difference I think is that the young pharmacists I know who work in Manhattan usually have a relatively short, predictable commute due to better infrastructure.

San Francisco's geography doesn't lend itself to it.

Members don't see this ad :)

true - one of many reasons I would NEVER consider moving to NYC. Cali has the benefits of much more friendly labor laws than the rest of the country

You're competing against software engineers and investment makers in SF and NY, respectively for housing who make more than you and do not have $200k+ in loans.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

probably getting jibbed out

You're competing against software engineers and investment makers in SF and NY, respectively for housing who make more than you and do not have $200k+ in loans.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

LOL.

I'm still trying to figure out who the Witch King is out of you RPh Wraiths that troll SDN, waiting for any opportunity to wail about the profession.

70 is about right. I wouldn't consider a rph job less than 75 an hr. Should be a nice wage when topped off with overtime. Sf is expensive tho. I was making 120k prepharmacy school and felt poor in SF.

Correction: I would take a job for less than 75 if the script count / patient census was very low. :p

pharm techs at one particular hospital in sf make $40/hr. my mom is one of them. she made $110,000 last year as a pharm tech lol :oops:

as for the pharmacists, they easily make $150,000/yr base with some making over $200,000 with OT

pharm techs at one particular hospital in sf make $40/hr. my mom is one of them. she made $110,000 last year as a pharm tech lol :oops:

as for the pharmacists, they easily make $150,000/yr base with some making over $200,000 with OT

Hah, is this legit? That's almost as much as several major healthcare systems in South Florida were starting new grad pharmacists with a few years ago. Cost of living is a little lower in the Miami area, but not astronomically so.

are you guys just referring to sf area OR places like Berkeley and san mateo or Oakland as well

are you guys just referring to sf area OR places like Berkeley and san mateo or Oakland as well

Think average for tech (Inpt) pay in bay area 25-35 would be a good ballpark figure. 40 seems like an outlier

Salaries for public employees in SF are public and broken down into base and OT, very easy to look at those.

Many health systems pay better than public, but State of CA and City of SF have pensions and generous healthcare benefits, so adjust accordingly.

That said, $70-75/hr new grad in 2016 sounds about right for inpatient (closer to $75 for inpatient, closer to $70 for retail/outpatient).