General Admissions & OTCAS Bay Path University Fall 2019 Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ahh okay awesome! Excited to meet you! We should definitely start a groupme or something and invite whoever is interested!

Do you guys want to start a Facebook for the MOT class of 2021?? I was also just accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you guys want to start a Facebook for the MOT class of 2021?? I was also just accepted!
CONGRATS AND WELCOME TO THE BAY PATH FAM!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh okay awesome! Excited to meet you! We should definitely start a groupme or something and invite whoever is interested!

Im excited to meet you too! yes we def need to start one, pm me ur group me username!

Would anybody be willing to PM me their full name so I can add it to the Facebook group? I'm trying to make one for the class of 2021, but you need at least one member to start it!

Hi guys! :) I am forming a group me. PM me your numbers if you would like to join!

Hi everyone! I’m from NY and will be attending Bay Path’s MOT program as well! :)

Reactions: 3 users
NYU and Iona are the only NY schools. I also applied to Moravian, Salus, Seton Hall, and Emory and Henry. How about you?
I also applied to NYU and Seton Hall! I applied to SUNY Downstate, Hofstra, Touro, Stockton as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I just wanted to let you all know that I made a group on Facebook for the MOT class of 2021 where we can all connect and share things! Just search "Bay Path University MOT class of 2021" and it should come up if you want to join! :)

Congrats to everyone who got accepted! I'm going to be a 2nd year at Bay Path, and I just want to share my experience up in the program up to now as well as give everyone a heads up and advice on what to expect.

First: make friends! Having a group of like minded people helps tremendously when it comes to studying and assignments. The program will go by so fast and will be less stressful if you make friends in the program because you got each other's backs.

Second: Be ready to WORK when your summer session begins in late July. The material isn't difficult, but the volume of work AND the amount of time to complete it (little less than 4 weeks) is what makes it overwhelming. Summer session is basically getting you acquainted with the work load of the graduate program and weeding out people who aren't ready. It's OT bootcamp basically.

Third: Go hard early in the semester and try to do well on every assignment and midterm exams. Doing this will make the end of the semester less stressful, especially when finals and practicals come around. There's no better feeling knowing that you only need a 10% on a final exam to pass a course :)

Fall semester is when things start to pick up, especially subject material. I would say the toughest class fall semester is Neuroscience; the instructor claims she has never failed anyone in this class, but there were at least 3 people who failed out of the program in the 2020 cohort. I guess we were the first cohort to have that happened lol. When midterms come around, it'll be an exam every Friday for like a month, which isn't as bad as it sounds because you won't have to take multiple exams in one day. Practicals are what you make it. The anatomy practical can be overwhelming because there's a lot of material, but if you have a good lab partner and study your butts off you'll be fine.

Spring semester I recently finished with, and although I felt the subject material was easier, there were a lot more assignments. It was more like busy work than anything, which I didn't like. Fieldwork level 1 was the only thing I enjoyed this semester.

Hopefully everyone is ready for the journey. The difficulty of the program is what you make of it. Just be on top of things and work hard and you'll do awesome. If you have any questions regarding anything about the program feel free to ask.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone who got accepted! I'm going to be a 2nd year at Bay Path, and I just want to share my experience up in the program up to now as well as give everyone a heads up and advice on what to expect.

First: make friends! Having a group of like minded people helps tremendously when it comes to studying and assignments. The program will go by so fast and will be less stressful if you make friends in the program because you got each other's backs.

Second: Be ready to WORK when your summer session begins in late July. The material isn't difficult, but the volume of work AND the amount of time to complete it (little less than 4 weeks) is what makes it overwhelming. Summer session is basically getting you acquainted with the work load of the graduate program and weeding out people who aren't ready. It's OT bootcamp basically.

Third: Go hard early in the semester and try to do well on every assignment and midterm exams. Doing this will make the end of the semester less stressful, especially when finals and practicals come around. There's no better feeling knowing that you only need a 10% on a final exam to pass a course :)

Fall semester is when things start to pick up, especially subject material. I would say the toughest class fall semester is Neuroscience; the instructor claims she has never failed anyone in this class, but there were at least 3 people who failed out of the program in the 2020 cohort. I guess we were the first cohort to have that happened lol. When midterms come around, it'll be an exam every Friday for like a month, which isn't as bad as it sounds because you won't have to take multiple exams in one day. Practicals are what you make it. The anatomy practical can be overwhelming because there's a lot of material, but if you have a good lab partner and study your butts off you'll be fine.

Spring semester I recently finished with, and although I felt the subject material was easier, there were a lot more assignments. It was more like busy work than anything, which I didn't like. Fieldwork level 1 was the only thing I enjoyed this semester.

Hopefully everyone is ready for the journey. The difficulty of the program is what you make of it. Just be on top of things and work hard and you'll do awesome. If you have any questions regarding anything about the program feel free to ask.

This is awesome advice, thank you so much! I did have a question about the workload-- you said it's a lot of busy work? Is it a lot of essays/papers, etc.?

Also, how was your experience with the practicals--what are they like? Are they intimidating/challenging? I was in OTA school, and our practicals there were filmed and made me really nervous lol!

This is awesome advice, thank you so much! I did have a question about the workload-- you said it's a lot of busy work? Is it a lot of essays/papers, etc.?

Also, how was your experience with the practicals--what are they like? Are they intimidating/challenging? I was in OTA school, and our practicals there were filmed and made me really nervous lol!

Some classes will have you write short essays or reflections (1-2 pages at most), and it's not difficult writing so no worries there; instructors are just really anal about APA formatting, so learn or brush up on it. The only writing heavy class is an online research class in the spring semester, and even then it's not all that bad (although I didn't care for the class).

My first practical in the program I was a bit nervous going in, but it wasn't bad when I actually was doing it. Most of the instructors know students have anxiety with practicals, so they do a lot to accommodate it. They'll have baskets filled with candy and stress relieving toys outside of lab rooms before you go into practicals so you can chill out before your turn. They don't film you during the practicals so you're good on that lol.

So far I've done 6 practicals:

1. Using a goniometer to measure ROM on a client and transferring them from sitting to stand. You'll have 15 mins before the practical to go over any notes or whatever you need to.

2. Demonstrating how to use different canes and walkers as well as transferring client from bed to wheelchair/vice versa. Testing sensation and proprioception was also on this practical. Again, 15 mins to go over your notes before practical begins.

3. Anatomy practical. This one has a lot of information to take in because of all the muscles and manual muscle testing for each one, but if you study and have a kickass lab partner you'll be golden. What will happen is the instructor will have 5 or 6 different cases written on cards and you'll pick a card at random when it's your turn to do the practical. After picking your card, you'll have 15 mins to look at your notes and prepare for whatever case you have.

4. Pediatrics practical. This one was really easy. Just demonstrate a developmental reflex test on your lab partner. You'll pick a card at random that has whatever reflex you'll need to test. 15 mins to study notes after picking your card.

5. Mental health practical. You'll have to run and lead a 1 hour group session for your lab section on whatever topic you're assigned. This one is terrible in my opinion because there's so many things you have to keep in mind like the time limit, what questions you'll be asking the group, and then writing notes on members of the group afterwards. Annoying lol.

6. Sensorimotor practical. This was my most recent practical, and it's on par with the anatomy practically in terms of information. You'll have random cases assigned again and you'll have to demonstrate how to do certain tests, like testing for balance, vision, bed positioning on your lab partner. Really practice and study this one. The instructor was really chilled and helpful with this practical though. I believe the lowest grade in my section was a 96 for this, so don't stress, but definitely study and know what you're doing.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone! congrats! and I am always a second year and I also 100% agree!!! And also, remember you just need to pass and B's make great OTs! Once you get that degree your grades aren't going to matter (having this thought helps you with stress)

Hi everyone! I am currently an OT student class of 2020 here at bay path. Let me know if you have any questions about the program to ease any anxieties you may have :)
Hi..I'm considering applying to Bay Path but on their website it states "The total number of graduates from Bay Path University Master of Occupational Therapy program during the 3-year period of 2016-2018 was 416, with an overall graduation rate of 90%. " Is this accurate? Thanks!

Hi..I'm considering applying to Bay Path but on their website it states "The total number of graduates from Bay Path University Master of Occupational Therapy program during the 3-year period of 2016-2018 was 416, with an overall graduation rate of 90%. " Is this accurate? Thanks!
I think it is-- not completely sure

I heard back from Bay Path as well and just sent in my deposit! Does anyone know about graduate housing or a class facebook group? Looking forward to meeting everyone :)

I heard back from them as well!
Do you guys want to create a Facebook page for the class 2022 ?

Hi! Just wondering if anyone has been accepted off the waitlist for fall 2020?

I know they extended the deadline to secure your spot/send in your deposit until April 16th because of everything going on, so you might not hear from them until then. I will be declining the offer, hopefully, this opens up a spot for you!

I know they extended the deadline to secure your spot/send in your deposit until April 16th because of everything going on, so you might not hear from them until then. I will be declining the offer, hopefully, this opens up a spot for you!
Thank you for letting me know!! :)

Hello! I was accepted as well and was hoping to hear people's experiences. Also, does anyone know what the schedule usually looks like for the program? (When does the program start lol). Thank you in advance!

Hello! I was accepted as well and was hoping to hear people's experiences. Also, does anyone know what the schedule usually looks like for the program? (When does the program start lol). Thank you in advance!
I talked to Maggie last week and she said as of right now the start date is August 31st, but I haven't really gotten anymore info since accepting the offer. She also said there are new standards for every program that are set to go into effect beginning July 2020, so schedules will be changing from the previous years and that we'll be getting the new one a month before the program starts! That's all I know so far :/

I talked to Maggie last week and she said as of right now the start date is August 31st, but I haven't really gotten anymore info since accepting the offer. She also said there are new standards for every program that are set to go into effect beginning July 2020, so schedules will be changing from the previous years and that we'll be getting the new one a month before the program starts! That's all I know so far :/
Are you planning on attending? Do you happen to know what she meant by new standards? I was leaning towards BPU because previous students had said that the last 6 months are all fieldwork (which I would be able to do back home in NJ). I really hope that doesn't change :(...

Yeah I sent in my deposit, I thought the deposit deadline had already passed! Do you think you're attending? I'm not sure exactly what she meant, she just said that AOTA came out with new standards for all masters programs starting in July, so they're going to change up the usual schedule. Also I think every masters program has 6 months of fieldwork since they're standardized with 2 fieldworks that are 12 weeks each, not just BPU! So that probably wouldn't change :)
I asked for a delay in deposit but I do think I'll be attending! I just reached out to her about the schedule as well and the format seems pretty standard so I'm happy to hear that.

Is there a group of accepted students, I would love to start linking up! :)

I asked for a delay in deposit but I do think I'll be attending! I just reached out to her about the schedule as well and the format seems pretty standard so I'm happy to hear that.

Is there a group of accepted students, I would love to start linking up! :)
Congrats!! And it's good to hear that it seems standard :) there isn't one yet but we can start one!

Hi, I'm Linda I also will be attending Bay Path in the Fall! Has anyone started to look for off-campus housing or anything like that?

I was not able to find the Facebook page for some reason

Hi I am also wait listed and was wondering if anyone has yet to be pulled off the list?

OH that's awesome! Are you still working while being in the program? I was thinking of doing part time on the weekends, to help with the costs. Is it possible with the workload? I've heard the first couple of semesters are intense.
I am also COTA, I initiated application to BP MOT bridge program but my OTA college courses are not transferable to BP college :(
So, How much MOT program costs? Did you apply directly to the college or you apply thru OTCAS? I checked BP OT program curriculum, I believe college changed essay topic every year. I live in California, so how is cost of living in Boston or near BP college?

Thank you for this information. How much writing assignment you have to do each semester? Or approximately each class has how many writing assignment? how are the exam design? meaning all exam are multiple choice? your response would be highly appreciated.

Regarding the application: once application selected, do BP conduct one on one interview with student? how does the format of interview look like? does interview has writing part too?

After nearly completing (in FW2) the MOT bridge program at BPU I do NOT recommend it. I'm a COTA so this was really disappointing. I'm not sure how the regular program is, but 99% of our cohort disliked it and wish we could get a refund. lol I hope you guys all have better experiences! Good luck!

Thank you for this information. How much writing assignment you have to do each semester? Or approximately each class has how many writing assignment? how are the exam design? meaning all exam are multiple choice? your response would be highly appreciated.

Regarding the application: once application selected, do BP conduct one on one interview with student? how does the format of interview look like? does interview has writing part too?

ALOT of busy work and writing. Also be prepared for lots of group assignments! All exams are multiple choice and timed according to the NBCOT standards.