BCP GPA and Biochemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, but the only one I could find from a google search was dated several years ago and still wasn't that clear.

My school offers Biochemistry in the BCHM department, and we have separate BIOL and CHEM departments.

I've taken BCHM and got an A in it, so I'm wondering if its going to show up in my BCP GPA (which, from what I've heard, is the most important GPA that schools tend to look at). Also, Human Anatomy is offered under Biomedical Sciences & Physiology.

Do these courses count in my BCP GPA? Because it kind of sucks to think that some schools do it differently and some people would have theirs count, but I wouldn't have mine count (especially if I did well in it)

Does anyone know FOR SURE?

Members don't see this ad.

Both would count in your BCP. See the course list:
http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...ons/Documents/ADEA_AADSAS_Course_Subjects.pdf

BCP does not mean "literally under only the biology, chemistry, physics departments". It's more of a course-type designation.

out of curiosity, since you are the one who made the ferali's note, are you a dental student now? or are you not even dent-related?
I am asking because your status says non-student. Or could this mean you are practicing already?

Members don't see this ad :)
out of curiosity, since you are the one who made the ferali's note, are you a dental student now? or are you not even dent-related?
I am asking because your status says non-student. Or could this mean you are practicing already?

I made the notes in my preparation for the DAT, but never ended up taking them, so I'm unfortunately still a non-student.

I made the notes in my preparation for the DAT, but never ended up taking them, so I'm unfortunately still a non-student.

sorry to be nosy, did you change your field?
Anyways, we all thank you for your hard work. It's an awesome resource.

sorry to be nosy, did you change your field?
Anyways, we all thank you for your hard work. It's an awesome resource.

No worries, I don't mind the questions. Some personal stuff came up that prevented me from taking the exam and completing my application, so I set things aside for a while, but my goal was still to go to dental school. I'm actually planning on taking the test in February, so fingers crossed.

I certainly hope it helped you guys out - I didn't want anyone else to have to go through the pain of reading Cliff's/Barron's/Kaplan/etc. just to squeeze out a few more facts from each one.

Both would count in your BCP. See the course list:
http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...ons/Documents/ADEA_AADSAS_Course_Subjects.pdf

BCP does not mean "literally under only the biology, chemistry, physics departments". It's more of a course-type designation.

I guess what I don't understand is that even in that link you sent me, Biochemistry has parenthesis beside it saying (BIO Dept.) and for some other classes it says (ANY dept.)... so are you sure this is the case?

And if another class you took is in the CHEM Department, but its listed in that link as "Other", then is that also not in BCP? I took Drug Chemistry (basically Pharmacology) and it was offered in my CHEM dept. but I dont know what kind of science GPA it would count as...

BCP or "Other"?

I guess what I don't understand is that even in that link you sent me, Biochemistry has parenthesis beside it saying (BIO Dept.) and for some other classes it says (ANY dept.)... so are you sure this is the case?

And if another class you took is in the CHEM Department, but its listed in that link as "Other", then is that also not in BCP? I took Drug Chemistry (basically Pharmacology) and it was offered in my CHEM dept. but I dont know what kind of science GPA it would count as...

BCP or "Other"?

The parenthesis part is confusing, but I'm very sure it will be categorized under BCP. Like you, I took Biochem under an individual department and it was still counted as a Science/BCP course.

As for Drug Chemistry/Pharmacology, that's listed under Bio in the list, so it would again count towards your BCP even if it was taken under the Chemistry department at your school. AADSAS cares more about the course itself than they do the department you may have taken it under at your school, since as you mentioned that can vary to an extent among universities.

Your classifications are verified by AADSAS so worst case scenario if you put something under BCP and they disagree, they will simply change its designation. Also keep in mind that you can go through a course dispute if you believe that a course was not categorized under science/non-science correctly.

No worries, I don't mind the questions. Some personal stuff came up that prevented me from taking the exam and completing my application, so I set things aside for a while, but my goal was still to go to dental school. I'm actually planning on taking the test in February, so fingers crossed.

I certainly hope it helped you guys out - I didn't want anyone else to have to go through the pain of reading Cliff's/Barron's/Kaplan/etc. just to squeeze out a few more facts from each one.

I feel ya, road to successful life(?) isn't always a smooth ride like everyone hopes for.
I am glad you are back on track now and ready to take it.
Should we expect to see you get 30 on the BIO section? LOL

Just teasing you!

Haha I hope so - I really push myself for a 30 on the Bio section because I know if I ever do a breakdown people are going to be expecting one - have to represent my notes well :xf:

Haha I hope so - I really push myself for a 30 on the Bio section because I know if I ever do a breakdown people are going to be expecting one - have to represent my notes well :xf:

I am sure you will do well on it. But I think bio section, more than other sections, has some luck playing a role in getting you a high to super high scores (23+ ish)
Questions they can throw at you are just way too broad and random.

I took my test a year ago exactly (12/13/2013), and I don't remember taxonomy, terrains, types of plants, photosynthesis processes, etc, etc, nada!
You just gotta hope for the best when it comes to doing well on the bio section, even for well-prepared test-takers.

Well, good luck my friend.

Just know that you helped out a lot of pre-dents.
And you also have something to talk about at the interviews.
Tell them that you are the author of popular biology notes that most every pre-dents use for DAT ! :)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user