BCP or overall science gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RUpremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

so when admin officers look at your app., is a higher bcp gpa or overall science gpa emphasized? i was just wondering because my science gpa is around a 3.2 where as my bcp gpa is slightly below a 3.

cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question thats a little off-topic about this..

Is BCP only Biology + Chemistry + Physics? (is it only General Biology 1 & 2, General and Organic Chemistries 1 & 2, and Physics 1 & 2 ?)

What about classes like Biochemistry? Genetics? Microbiology? Histology? Pharmacology? Anatomy? Do any of these go into your BCP?

To my knowledge, anything that starts with BIO, CHEM, OR PHYS (I can't remember how the physics one starts) is counted as BCP. For example, my biochem class at my undergrad was CHEM 481, so it counts as BCP. I am pretty sure that all of the ones you mentioned are BCP, not sure about pharmacology though. Even like MMBIO would be BCP. Math and stats count as other science. Hope that helps a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question thats a little off-topic about this..

Is BCP only Biology + Chemistry + Physics? (is it only General Biology 1 & 2, General and Organic Chemistries 1 & 2, and Physics 1 & 2 ?)

What about classes like Biochemistry? Genetics? Microbiology? Histology? Pharmacology? Anatomy? Do any of these go into your BCP?

I believe it is all life science and physical science. The only difference between it and the overall science GPA is math and "other science."

i would say bcp gpa is a lot more important because it has the basic sciences (bio, chem, physics).

BUT you should call your schools to inquire. Most have told me BCP is what they look at (ie: midwestern, temple, etc) but a few look at overall Science.

I agree with never giveup which anything that starts with BIO, PHYS, or CHEM would count as BCP GPA. Sci GPA includes all "other science" course + BCP classes (when I emailed AADSAS, I got the following:)

When AADSAS calculates your GPA we calculate your BCP GPA (Biology, Chemistry, and Physics courses), your Science GPA (BCP, plus your Other Science courses) and your Non-Science GPA. Any courses that are classified as Other Science will get calculated into your Science GPA.

I believe if Pharmacology classes is offer by department of pharmacology then it is count towards Sci GPA. But if your school offers pharmacology from department of chemistry (I actually have never seen it from Chem Dept) then it will count towards BCP GPA. In addition, if Histology is offered by department of biology then it will count towards BCP GPA. Anyone can verify these facts??

I hope this helps