BCPM GPA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

papito22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that BCPM is bio, chem, phys, math, but I have also heard of nutrition majors who reclassify some of their nutrition courses as BCPM based off of the course content.
This would really boost my sGPA if I did it.

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/182162/data/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf

"Course Classification
Each course must be assigned a course classification based strictly on the primary content of the course.
"

Does anything negative happen if AMCAS decides to not accept my reclassification? Will adcoms look at me negatively?

Here are some of the course descriptions for the classes I want to reclassify as BCPM:
Introductory Food Science (course and lab)
Chemical, physical and biological properties of foods which affect their keeping quality, nutritional and organoleptic values. For students interested in the scientific study of foods.

Human Nutrition (course and lab)
Principles of the science of nutrition. Emphasis on physiological requirements of nutrients for human growth, development and maintenance within the life cycle.

Laboratory techniques in Nutrition and Food Science
Basic modern and classical analytical techniques and instruments in nutrition and food science. Background theory to principles of instrumental assays. Procedures for evaluation of macro and micro food components analysis. Physiological functions relevant to nutrition.

Macronutrient Metabolism
Focus on normal human nutrition and physiological functions. Biochemical properties of macronutrients and their interrelationships at the cellular and subcellular level.

Micronutrient Metabolism
Principles of micronutrient metabolism, including function, toxicity, and deficiency; principles and techniques for assessing micronutrient status. Micronutrients in the physiopathology of chronic disease; sources of micronutrients and factors affecting nutrient bioavailability. Impact of disease and/or genetics on nutrient function and nutrient requirement; role of fortification, enrichment, and/or supplementation of micronutrients in the food supply and on health outcomes

Nutrition and Disease
Application of the principles of biochemistry and physiology in the study of nutrient metabolism as altered by disease. The physio-biochemical basis for diet in the treatment of disease.

Would you guys count these as BCPM if you were in my shoes?

Members don't see this ad.

For MD schools, none of your courses would count for BCPM...on first glance. Some courses for nutrition majors can count if they have some sort of bio-related title, such as nutritional physiology or human anatomy for allied health majors. You can attempt the classification to BCPM if you wish. Should they refuse them, you have the option of sending them syllabi and course catalog descriptions to AMCAs where they ultimately will have the final word. i'd say go for it. There's nothing to lose. You might have some good evidence proving course content with these descriptions you provided. Be mindful that any changes you attempt to make with their classifying will cause a slight delay in verification.

I plan on submitting the first day possible so hopefully the delayed verification won't impact me much. I'd rather be verified a week or two later than be earlier with a sGPA that would be about .1-.15 points lower without the nutrition courses - that is if they accept my reclassification.

I'm mostly concerned with med schools seeing that I tried to reclassify and penalizing me for it. Is that a thing? I thought for some reason that Xs get marked next to classes that an applicant tried to reclassify and that too many Xs can be alarming.

Maybe an adcom or someone who has gone through the process can help out?

Members don't see this ad :)
6 classes with somewhat reasonable cause for reclassifications won't look bad on you at all. It's when you do things like bcpm classifying dozens of art classes that clearly dont belong in bCPM that becomes a problem. those are the extreme cases. plenty of students undergo such scenarios such as yourself. usually those major in psych, physical anthro, exercise sci, etc will see themselves in the same spot as you and they too will attempt to bcpm many of their major classes as possible within reasonable cause (i.e. cognitive neurosci from psych dept) to boost their bcpm. it's just playing the game with a dice that may or may not roll in your favor, but you won't be punished for it.

Reactions: 1 user
The worst punishment for you would be that AAMC might take longer to verify your application, so it'll just cost you some time if they feel the need to ask you to reclassify some courses.

Reactions: 1 user
If only my entomology courses counted towards my BCPM GPA :(

Aw ya! My premed advisor told me it didn't >.>

Sorry to bump the thread again but do you guys have any idea how much extra time it would take to be verified if amcas doesn't agree with me and i appeal with the necessary course description/syllabi? Say if I submit first day possible in June

I'm also interested in including my nutrition course towards my bcpm gpa. Has anyone successfully included these courses in the past, so I know whether it is worth it to include it or not?

So to clarify, do med school see that you tried to pass off a class as BCPM but failed?

****UPDATE****

I was just verified today. I classified all the nutrition courses in my OP as biology/chemistry classes depending on main content. I even included a couple other nutrition classes on my transcript such as "directed study" as biology. AMCAS verified my courses without any correction. This shot my sGPA way up!

To anyone attempting to reclassify courses on AMCAS: Just be truthful. If the course has a lot of science in it, then go ahead and classify it as you see fit. The person verifying will probably agree with you. Good luck to everyone!