BCPM Question - Ecometrics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Genore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...I'm an economics minor and took a course called Econometrics last year. Econometric is basically advanced statistics applied to economics questions. We mostly used a program called STATA to actually do the math, but learned the calculus and statistics that were the basis for the models and were tested on the basics of this, in addition to having to write the basic models in the program.

Would that count as a "math" class for BCPM GPA calculations? It was offered through the economics department.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So...I'm an economics minor and took a course called Econometrics last year. Econometric is basically advanced statistics applied to economics questions. We mostly used a program called STATA to actually do the math, but learned the calculus and statistics that were the basis for the models and were tested on the basics of this, in addition to having to write the basic models in the program.

Would that count as a "math" class for BCPM GPA calculations? It was offered through the economics department.

Thanks!

I took econometrics as well (and used STATA -- small world right?). It's basically a stats class, so it can be classified as math for BCPM. (although it can be also classified as social science, because the econometric analysis/interpretation is conducted on social science data, so don't be surprised of the change)

Cool. :) So, basically, it should count as a math, but it may get changed to a social science by the checkers so I shouldn't be surprised if it is?

I did most of my projects on epidemiological data because I found that more interesting than the money stuff (thought someone did a project on predicting Kpop Idol success and it was pretty cool).

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool. :) So, basically, it should count as a math, but it may get changed to a social science by the checkers so I shouldn't be surprised if it is?

I did most of my projects on epidemiological data because I found that more interesting than the money stuff (thought someone did a project on predicting Kpop Idol success and it was pretty cool).

Yeah pretty much. Money stuff is actually out of place; other people focused on crime rates, education, housing etc. I did healthcare costs. Basically, in these scenarios, the data tested are social science info (income, unemployment etc.). Econometrics is just stats for social sciences, so it can go either way, so don't be surprised.

Same with microeconomics and game theory. They're math classes but are most often than not classified as social sciences. Economics is just that versatile.

Reactions: 1 user
I took a very similar course but with a focus on poli sci. It was called Quantitative Methods in Political Science. I'd prefer to count it, but does that even sound like a stats class? :bored:

I did poorly in my Econometrics class (basically, applied stats) and did not want it counted as a BCMP class. I didn't list it as such and got it away with it. I think AMCAS is fairly flexible with these in-between subjects, so classify it according what you think might be best. In my case, I wanted a higher sciGPA so that's what I did.

I took a very similar course but with a focus on poli sci. It was called Quantitative Methods in Political Science. I'd prefer to count it, but does that even sound like a stats class? :bored:

That's stretching it. Just take ordinary stats.

That's stretching it. Just take ordinary stats.

I appreciate the response, but what makes your econometrics course any more stats than my politics course? We used stata and wrote models from a purely statistical point of view. The only part of it that dealt with politics was that some of the data we used was taken from political surveys.

It honestly seems silly when people ask if their class counts as a BCPM. If you think it counts than count it. The worst thing that can happen is they disagree and change it back. None of the borderline classes I picked were changed, and I was asked exactly 0 times about my course classifications during interviews; I was an engineer, and counted a bunch of classes that aren't stereotypical BCPM picks.

I appreciate the response, but what makes your econometrics course any more stats than my politics course? We used stata and wrote models from a purely statistical point of view. The only part of it that dealt with politics was that some of the data we used was taken from political surveys.

In that case, you would mark it as BCPM and enter the course description.