BCPS followed by BCPP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm B

HansomWare
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread that I'd recently interviewed a psych pharmacist (with her BCPP certification) who works for the VA. We started discussing the various specialty tests you can take, and how they impact your pay at the VA. More letters = more pay.

If you do a two year residency (one year general and one year specific, such as in psych pharmacy), is it feasible to pass the BCPS exam after the first and BCPP after the second?

Also, I know routine tests are required (I believe she said it was done annually). If you're practicing in an exclusively psychiatric environment, would it just take a little brushing up to be able to pass the BCPS recert?

Members don't see this ad.

I mentioned in another thread that I'd recently interviewed a psych pharmacist (with her BCPP certification) who works for the VA. We started discussing the various specialty tests you can take, and how they impact your pay at the VA. More letters = more pay.

If you do a two year residency (one year general and one year specific, such as in psych pharmacy), is it feasible to pass the BCPS exam after the first and BCPP after the second?

Also, I know routine tests are required (I believe she said it was done annually). If you're practicing in an exclusively psychiatric environment, would it just take a little brushing up to be able to pass the BCPS recert?

I'm not sure of the point of BCPS and BCPP...why not just wait and do BCPP? This can get very expensive to keep both certifications up. Each tests costs $600...plus $100 each year to keep ther certification...but so many specific credit hrs.

Members don't see this ad :)
She made it sound like each cert would bump you up an extra 6k a year. Minus upkeep costs, that's still a good sum of money each year.

Double board certification will not lead to more pay in most situations. However, in some scenarios, it may. If your professional goals include getting BCPS and BCPP, by all means, just go for it.