Be a course liaison?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NorthernDO

3rdGen
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey was wondering if anyone has ever been a course liaison in medical school? I'm mainly wondering if it would be worth pursuing as a medical student? Is it something that looks good on a CV or not (to residencies)? I'm trying to do other ec, but haven't really been selected for a leadership position yet.
 
What exactly is a course liaison? My first impression is that it sounds like CV fluff/padding that doesn't amount to anything special.
 
Hey was wondering if anyone has ever been a course liaison in medical school? I'm mainly wondering if it would be worth pursuing as a medical student? Is it something that looks good on a CV or not (to residencies)? I'm trying to do other ec, but haven't really been selected for a leadership position yet.
We have those at our school too and it's essentially a made up position to fluff your CV. There are so many other things you could be doing that would actually bolster your CV. Don't waste your time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We have those at our school too and it's essentially a made up position to fluff your CV. There are so many other things you could be doing that would actually bolster your CV. Don't waste your time.

what things are better? also, ones that are good that won't eat up too much time?
 
Basically acts a communicator between professors and students about scheduling, clarifying course material, scheduling help/review sessions for students. When I first heard about it seemed like a waste of time for all parties involved.
 
what things are better? also, ones that are good that won't eat up too much time?
Research or related activities. As mentioned above, it's just one of those things that nobody will be impressed by, and everyone will see right through it.
 
Serving as one is mandatory at my school; you actually have to serve for 2 semesters. It's random how students are chosen and for what class. I got lucky and wasn't picked but I bet next semester my name will pop up. It's not something I would willingly sign up for but the school has said that they've made changes based on the students recommendations.
 
Its not worth it. No one cares at all about those positions, and they give you additional BS to deal with, takes away from important things like studying. The only thing that would help at all is something like class president, and even then it would just help to fill an extra minute during an interview, that's it.

The only people in my class that did it were the ones that enjoyed being in charge of something, the "go to" for something, having power, etc.

Do it only if you enjoy it, not because you think it'll help CV.

Goodluck my friend.