Will be repeating OMS1. What will I be able to match into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kingman54

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Failed 1 class in OMS1 and will be repeating the semester. Is there any chance still for me to match into EM (the field im interested in), or am I going to be limited to FM/IM? Are there any other options like neurology that are still possible? Would love to hear any success stories to raise my spirits.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
You can match EM. Breathe. Just figure out what happened to cause this speed bump and fix it.

Reactions: 3 users
Failed 1 class in OMS1 and will be repeating the semester. Is there any chance still for me to match into EM (the field im interested in), or am I going to be limited to FM/IM? Are there any other options like neurology that are still possible? Would love to hear any success stories to raise my spirits.
There were 555 unfilled EM spots in the match in 2023.
If trends continue, there may be even more by the time you apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
EM is not competitive as of right now. We will see if that changes again when you apply, but for right now you should have nothing to worry about. Just fix your study habits and figure out what went wrong. No more failures.

Reactions: 1 users
Focus on passing first.

Reactions: 2 users
No guarantees EM will stay easy to match into. A lot can happen in 4 years. Rads and anesthesia were a joke to match into when I started med school. Now they’re both a blood bath.

It’s certainly possible. But you should really make peace with IM/FM because it may be where you end up.

Edit: same with neuro though I can’t imagine it ever being competitive.

EM is much easier to match than FM or IM
In all likelihood I don't see that changing. Most specialties have fluctuating cycles, but I don't see this one changing. PAs and NPs are flooding that market and with the high amount of residency programs that have popped up over the last decade there just isn't enough jobs left. Supply > Demand.

In all likelihood I don't see that changing. Most specialties have fluctuating cycles, but I don't see this one changing. PAs and NPs are flooding that market and with the high amount of residency programs that have popped up over the last decade there just isn't enough jobs left. Supply > Demand.
Agreed. HCA decided to aggressively go after EM. They are trying to do the same with Anesthesia. Deep down they know these CRNAs are a problem to them

Agreed. HCA decided to aggressively go after EM. They are trying to do the same with Anesthesia. Deep down they know these CRNAs are a problem to them

I know, that’s why anesthesiologists need to band together and protest the massive expansion of HCAs. The training those residents receive is dog ****. Their only motive is to decrease costs and increase profits for their share holders. They couldn’t care less about resident education. And all it takes is that one lawsuit to wipe away years and years of saved costs by utilizing CRNAs instead of anesthesiologists. Some hospitals figured this out and others will soon enough

hi what does this mean? pre do student here. What school do you go to and do they have extra help or anything?

hi what does this mean? pre do student here. What school do you go to and do they have extra help or anything?

What people don’t realize is that not only is it very competitive to get into medical school, it is also very competitive to get into residency. You will be competing against all the other medical students for the best residency programs/specialties. Failures during medical school, either in clinicals or on your step exams, can prevent you from getting the specialty you want. This adds a lot of stress to medical school as you can imagine. Getting into medical doesn’t mean you just get to become any doctor you want. The specialties that aren’t competitive are primary care like family med/peds and then low tier internal medicine programs. Students who don’t perform well compared to their peers can end up matching into those fields

Reactions: 2 users
What people don’t realize is that not only is it very competitive to get into medical school, it is also very competitive to get into residency. You will be competing against all the other medical students for the best residency programs/specialties. Failures during medical school, either in clinicals or on your step exams, can prevent you from getting the specialty you want. This adds a lot of stress to medical school as you can imagine. Getting into medical doesn’t mean you just get to become any doctor you want. The specialties that aren’t competitive are primary care like family med/peds and then low tier internal medicine programs. Students who don’t perform well compared to their peers can end up matching into those fields
Read this as "Med/Peds" and was like wait a minute, thats a decently competitive specialty lol.

• Haha

HCA will destroy EM, Gas, and Psych. But those fields also have mined themselved in by a lot of power to midlevels.

OP - you need to do better. Review study skills.

I hear that the top pediatrics residencies are pretty competitive. At what ranking do pediatric residencies stop being competitive (approximately)?

I hear that the top pediatrics residencies are pretty competitive. At what ranking do pediatric residencies stop being competitive (approximately)?
Of course. There are top programs for every speciality and they will always be competitive. I’m referring to the fact that matching into “A” program within those specialties is easier, not necessarily that you’d have your pick between Stanford, MGH, or Brighams as a low tier applicant.

To answer your question it’s all relative to your application. You’d have to compare your application to the programs you are interested in. It’s honestly all relative to your application, there is no other way to answer that.

There were 555 unfilled EM spots in the match in 2023.
If trends continue, there may be even more by the time you apply.
The application statistics indicate there's been a significant recovery in EM this year versus previous years. There were more EM applicants this year than there were in 2019, 2020, or 2021, before EM had its SOAP issues. The increase is based largely on a rise in DO and IMG applicants. How this plays out in the match will be interesting, but I don't think EM will have 555 spots in SOAP this year. (Image below is from ERAS' application data)

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 8.11.04 AM.png

The application statistics indicate there's been a significant recovery in EM this year versus previous years. There were more EM applicants this year than there were in 2019, 2020, or 2021, before EM had its SOAP issues. The increase is based largely on a rise in DO and IMG applicants. How this plays out in the match will be interesting, but I don't think EM will have 555 spots in SOAP this year. (Image below is from ERAS' application data)

View attachment 382198
Hopefully this is good news for DOs!
...or it could be that EM has become the safest back-up plan for all those who might prefer another specialty but whose application may not be strong enough.

Last edited: