Be honest, what are my chances of getting in? What do you think of my back up plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anannaf

Reaction score
I've asked this question on reddit too, so just ignore me if you've seen me on there. I'm just trying all avenues for advice.

Here's my introduction:
I recently just graduated my undergrad with a BS in biomedical engineering from Georgia Tech. I graduated with a 2.9 cumulative GPA. I did extensive research on drug delivery systems, microparticles and their effects on the immune system, bio-acoustics of animals, and cell cytoxicity. I’m currently a robotics engineer for Merck. I have been shadowing throughout college at wildlife rescues, horse rescues, shelters, holistic veterinarians, and small animal vets—so I have a lot of experience.

I understand it's competitive, and I understand that it's extremely difficult to get in. I've read a million posts at this point with stats much better than mine. I've read some with worse stats too that were eventually improved. I need some honest advice about my chances. Not just because if I get rejected, it'll be so discouraging, not just because applications are expensive, but because I want your advice. No matter what I do, will I ever get in?

I need to know if it’s even worth trying to apply this cycle. I’m not aiming for the top universities here, I’m honestly just asking if I even have a shot. I’ve been given the advice to do a post bacc or get a masters, but from everything I've read online, it looks like a post-bacc would help boost my GPA, but even then I would have to put in a lot of hours (~32) to get to a competitive GPA--and at that point it's like getting a second undergrad degree. I have a masters program I am considering applying to instead, but I have also read that if you don't meet the cut off requirements, schools won't even look at your application. So that means that even though I might've done well in my masters program, it still wouldn't matter because my undergrad GPA was so low. Is that true? What merit does a masters add? (I'm considering immunology or infectious diseases.)

I went to a very rigorous undergraduate school, I studied one of the hardest engineering fields, and I know my GPA doesn’t make me shine. I know that there are thousands of applicants every year.

For more information, I want to become a veterinary clinical pathologist. I know that's even more schooling and even more competitive, but in my current job, we work with a lot of biological and molecular cell based assays and it is the coolest thing.

What advice can anyone give me? Thanks for taking the time, I really appreciate it.

I’m open to all advice. Thanks for taking the Time.

Members don't see this ad.

It might be helpful if you post in the What are My Chances section and follow the suggested format for posting stats.

With your engineering background, have you taken all of the pre-req's required for the schools you are interested in? Are you a Georgia resident and interested in applying to UGA? If so, you'll also need to take the GRE.

@EngrSC successfully went from an engineering career to vet med.

Reactions: 1 users
It might be helpful if you post in the What are My Chances section and follow the suggested format for posting stats.

With your engineering background, have you taken all of the pre-req's required for the schools you are interested in? Are you a Georgia resident and interested in applying to UGA? If so, you'll also need to take the GRE.

@EngrSC successfully went from an engineering career to vet med.
Oh thanks! I have never used this before. Yes I have all my prerequisites completed. I live din GA up until February, I'm working at PA now for Merck. I am planning on taking the GRE though.

Status
Not open for further replies.