Becoming a donor for money in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

themanthemyththelegend

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it unethical to be an anonymous sperm donor? Do you think it would be worth it to make an extra $150-200 a week?

Members don't see this ad.

Goro recommends this to people all of the time.

Personally I am afraid of little ChrisMacks trying to chase me down in the future....

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nope.

What are they going to say? "You're my dad!"

I'd reply "Nope, the guy who changed your diapers is your dad. I'm just your gene donor."

I have my "interview" today so we'll see if I make the second cut. Would you be worried about kids in 20 years trying to hunt you down?

Reactions: 7 users
I'm going to have to do some research on this. If there is 0 percent chance of any financial or other responsibilities on my part, I might have to see if I can sign up.

As someone with loved ones who have struggled with infertility (I have a friend who needs to use an egg donor and a family member who used a sperm donor due to infertility following a childhood cancer), I absolutely do not think it is unethical to donate ones gametes to help another person realize their dream of becoming a parent. It's a very personal decision though and one that should not be made on a whim. I would also be careful about which bank you are going to (they are not all created equal). Also, based on what I've heard it is very difficult to get to the final round so to speak with donation and only a small percent actually get chosen.

This is only one example and of course different families will have different experiences, but my family member who used a sperm donor, he has 3 kids and the kids all know about their donor, but they only see their dad who raised them as their dad. They haven't expressed any desire to connect with their donor (even though it was an "open" donor). For whatever that's worth..

Reactions: 1 user
So I know 2 unrelated people who were born via sperm donation. OH. MY. GOD. Its like the ultimate "max out all stats" game shark cheat.

Both (guy and girl) are blisteringly smart, attractive, socially competent, and healthy. I've known both since pre-school and they've never once been sick. They were the best athletes in their respective sports. Always in the 99th percentile on standardized tests. And now both are in PhD programs with enough academic credentials to make even the best of SDN feel inadequate. Sounds like every parent's dream lol.

Reactions: 4 users
Sooo how much can I get for donating eggs? Is that even a thing?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
You can, and I think it pays around $5-10,000. The process is a bit more involved though.

Oh my God. That sounds too good to be true, what's the catch? Is it like excruciatingly painful or does it make you infertile or something? I'm going to have to look into this.

LOL right as I was looking up how much I could make, I got my financial aid award letter from the school I'll be attending. 100% loans. This is looking more and more appealing.

No, any "extra money" you make in medical school is going to pale in comparison to loans that an extra few hundred bucks per week will not make any noticeable increase in quality of life. Essentially, you could just take out an extra few hundred in loans per week and still pay it off in the same time frame otherwise. It won't matter.

Oh my God. That sounds too good to be true, what's the catch? Is it like excruciatingly painful or does it make you infertile or something? I'm going to have to look into this.

LOL right as I was looking up how much I could make, I got my financial aid award letter from the school I'll be attending. 100% loans. This is looking more and more appealing.

Just use your head for a sec. Men have a very easy (even fun :D) way of removing viable gametes from their bodies. Women...not so much.

#smashthepatriarchy

Reactions: 1 users
Just use your head for a sec. Men have a very easy (even fun :D) way of removing viable gametes from their bodies. Women...not so much.

#smashthepatriarchy

Lol I know it involves an invasive procedure, but I don't know anything about the procedure itself.

From my understanding, egg donation hasn't been around long enough for the long term effects to be well known. I've read that it can cause some discomfort but I'm not sure how that compares to just normal cramping and such. I haven't done it myself but I looked into it when I was in college because I was desperate for money haha. I kind of thought that they wouldn't really want mine anyway because I'm mixed race.

From my understanding, egg donation hasn't been around long enough for the long term effects to be well known. I've read that it can cause some discomfort but I'm not sure how that compares to just normal cramping and such. I haven't done it myself but I looked into it when I was in college because I was desperate for money haha. I kind of thought that they wouldn't really want mine anyway because I'm mixed race.

Oh man, what if no one wants my eggs because I'm not attractive enough? That would be so depressing lol.

Oh man, what if no one wants my eggs because I'm not attractive enough? That would be so depressing lol.
Haha I suppose they were donated for research, race or attractiveness wouldn't matter...and then you also wouldn't have to deal with the fact that you have unknown offspring out there somewhere.

No, any "extra money" you make in medical school is going to pale in comparison to loans that an extra few hundred bucks per week will not make any noticeable increase in quality of life. Essentially, you could just take out an extra few hundred in loans per week and still pay it off in the same time frame otherwise. It won't matter.
1) That's almost 50% of what I take out for "living" expenses. So yeah, it would make a huge difference.
2) $150/week x 4 years = $31,200. You really want to pay the interest on that when you could have just done something you do everyday for free?

I think I have at least one classmate who did. Was fairly involved and somewhat unpleasant, but they had no regrets when the check cleared.

It is definitely a thing. A friend of mine needs to use an egg donor because she has premature ovarian failure.

To anyone in this thread interested, I would recommend the following book:

Sex Cells: The Medical Market for Eggs and Sperm
by Rene Almeling

Read it for a class in undergrad for a health disparities seminar, very interesting read and addresses many of the questions/issues above in a literal sense while also debating the industry and the practice of gamete donation as a whole. For those interested in sociology, a major theme/undertone is the exploration of gendered norms in this industry, and how they compare/contrast to the larger culture that we live in. Great read overall

Dropped my little guys off at the bank this afternoon... hopefully they are strong swimmers!

Lol I know it involves an invasive procedure, but I don't know anything about the procedure itself.
I think there's actually a class action lawsuit going against the egg donation collection companies that has at least something to do with pay disparities and pay unfairness. Read up on what women who go through IVF go through (or, if you're old, like me, you have plenty of friends who've gone through it), and the risks those women take to get pregnant, and then you get some sense of what some of the risks and difficulties of going through a single egg donation cycle are. Especially if you think you might ever have any interest in having your own children, I would say it is not worth it, even though $10K seems like a lot of money right now.

Hey guys!, what are you...

tZOS8.gif

Reactions: 7 users
1) That's almost 50% of what I take out for "living" expenses. So yeah, it would make a huge difference.
2) $150/week x 4 years = $31,200. You really want to pay the interest on that when you could have just done something you do everyday for free?

I think I have at least one classmate who did. Was fairly involved and somewhat unpleasant, but they had no regrets when the check cleared.
To donate that often they used to say that you needed to abstain from intercourse and masturbation for 4 to 5 days between donations. Do you really want to live like that for 4 years?

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using SDN mobile

To donate that often they used to say that you needed to abstain from intercourse and masturbation for 4 to 5 days between donations. Do you really want to live like that for 4 years?

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using SDN mobile
I'm really poor. If it's not illegal I'll probably do it with interviews coming up.

Be a woman. Be a Med student, get paid 10k per egg donation cycle.

The amount of money you get from these donations will pale in comparison to child support

Your genes are your legacy in the grand scheme. Why not get paid to up the chance of your genes surviving until the zombie apocalypse?

I'm pretty sure the issue of parental responsibility is no reason for concern.

I just found a sperm bank 30miles from my school. I wonder if it's worth doing it since their required commitment is 3 times a wk for at least 6 months.

edit: nevermind it's only 1-3 times a week. sounds like a good deal since they pay 70 a pop.

I wonder if banks allow you to bring your own materials since playboy stuff is typically lackluster.

Last edited:
Understandably, that process is intense as hell.

I wonder if minorities squeak by if they're med students/doctors? Still wouldn't consider it because of the way my principles are set up but still.

Nevermind it's only 1-3 times a week. sounds like a good deal since they pay 70 a pop.

lol...a pop.

Reactions: 1 users
Understandably, that process is intense as hell.

I wonder if minorities squeak by if they're med students/doctors? Still wouldn't consider it because of the way my principles are set up but still.

lol...a pop.
from my local sperm bank website, they are recruiting donors of all ethnicities with ones like Japanese, Czech in high demand (has a wait list!). Albeit you still need to fulfill the basics of genetic/STD/physical screening and be sufficiently tall and well educated.

from my local sperm bank website, they are recruiting donors of all ethnicities with ones like Japanese, Czech in high demand (has a wait list!). Albeit you still need to fulfill the basics of genetic/STD/physical screening and be sufficiently tall and well educated.

mmmmhhh...think my ethnicity would be closer to the bottom of the list..

I just found a sperm bank 30miles from my school. I wonder if it's worth doing it since their required commitment is 3 times a wk for at least 6 months.

edit: nevermind it's only 1-3 times a week. sounds like a good deal since they pay 70 a pop.

I wonder if banks allow you to bring your own materials since playboy stuff is typically lackluster.

They do allow you to bring your own materials.... The Penthouse collection they had was tough to work with

Finally signing up today, going in for an initial sample next week for evaluation. Wish me luck.