Becoming a medical marijuana caregiver for my mother?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nomadgonad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My mother uses medical marijuana to curb the side effects of her chemotherapy. She has recently asked me to be her caregiver. Essentially this means that I would be the middle man between the grower and her, and I believe that I would have to register in my state's medical marijuana program. I am planning on applying to MD schools next year, and wondering if this might raise any red flags when it comes to my background check? Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

SDN is not for medical advice.
My mother uses medical marijuana to curb the side effects of her chemotherapy. She has recently asked me to be her caregiver. Essentially this means that I would be the middle man between the grower and her, and I believe that I would have to register in my state's medical marijuana program. I am planning on applying to MD schools next year, and wondering if this might raise any red flags when it comes to my background check? Any thoughts?

He/she isn't asking for medical advice...
I'm not sure how many people will be able to answer the question here, though, given how new many of these MJ laws are...
I can't imagine that it would show up on a background check, but that's just my uninformed opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how many people will be able to answer the question here, though, given how new many of these MJ laws are...
I can't imagine that it would show up on a background check, but that's just my uninformed opinion.
Agreed with blueharbor...the mother already uses medical MJ, there is no change in treatment being asked about, but simply the legal/application ramifications of the MDMJ caregiver license.

OP, I have to say that logically, I don't see it being an issue, but risk-assessment wise I would err on the side of caution. These things are not yet commonplace and if there is any other way for her to get the care she needs, I don't see it being worthwhile. Since you are hoping to be leaving for med school within the next year or so anyway, it may make more sense to spend time now working out a solid care/support plan which does not require you for the day-to-day stuff, and to set it up while you still are here day-to-day to make sure it goes smoothly and is set up the way it needs to be. This would avoid the whole issue and possibly avoid time-crunch roadblocks in the future.

That being said, if it comes down, in your opinion, to your mother's health, you may not feel like there really is a choice, and that's OK too. I hope things work out for you!

Reactions: 1 users

Unless you get arrested, this will not show up on a background check. If MMJ is legal in your state, you won't be targeted by state authorities, but this is still illegal at the federal level. Now, I doubt that DEA agents are going to bust down your door but I think I (as a person with an abundance of prudence) would avoid taking this risk.

Any mention of me will certainly get your acceptance rescinded.

Reactions: 1 user