Becoming an Obstetrician.

smarty93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the 11 grade and I have decided that I want to become an obstetrician. I have also decided that I want to attend the College of the Bahamas. When I looked at the academic programmes that they offer I did not know whether I chose:

(a) School of Sciences and Technology

Bachelor of Science

Or

(b) School of Nursing and Allied Health Professions
Bachelor of Science in Nursing

Members don't see this ad.

An obstetrician is a MD degree so you would need to fulfill the premedical required courses, which usually are part of a bachelor of sciences, and then apply to medical schools. There is an option through nursing which is to do midwifery program which would require you to have a bachelor in nursing.

Assuming you are a Bahamian citizen go to UWI and get your MBBS. Then you go on for a residency in obstetrics and gynaecology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, you may be interested in ob/gyn right now, but keep an open mind about it. You've get several years before you need to worry about picking a specialty. Your mind may change several times between now and then.

Have you shadowed an OB/GYN? I have worked with plenty during medical school, and trust me, it is not worth it. They have the highest malpractice insurance premiums for a reason, i.e. they are the most sued specialty (right up there with Neurosurgery). I am talking about $200,000+ in NY and FL. Patients are highly litigious and they can sue to up to the 18th birthday of their child, if I recall correctly. Combine that with the fact that midwives can bill almost as much as an Ob/GYN is a little bit insulting to an OB's MD education. It is simply not worth it.

An obstetrician is a MD degree so you would need to fulfill the premedical required courses, which usually are part of a bachelor of sciences, and then apply to medical schools. There is an option through nursing which is to do midwifery program which would require you to have a bachelor in nursing.
So you can't become an obstetrician as a DO:confused:

The route to become an obstetrician may be different in the Bahamas than in the US. I'd agree with FutureCT to look up the path to an MBBS because in the Bahamas they might do the straight from hs six-year program for medicine.

OP: Are you from the Bahamas or are you a US citizen. If you are US then you want to avoid going abroad for medical school at all costs.

Have you shadowed an OB/GYN? I have worked with plenty during medical school, and trust me, it is not worth it. They have the highest malpractice insurance premiums for a reason, i.e. they are the most sued specialty (right up there with Neurosurgery). I am talking about $200,000+ in NY and FL. Patients are highly litigious and they can sue to up to the 18th birthday of their child, if I recall correctly. Combine that with the fact that midwives can bill almost as much as an Ob/GYN is a little bit insulting to an OB's MD education. It is simply not worth it.
apart from the fact that the lifestyle of an OB is crap