MD Been helped - post removed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medstudentloading

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
*Removed*

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That said, I also don't wanna be dumb and apply to schools that my 'narrative' doesn't align with or that aren't OOS-unfriendly. Can y'all suggest schools to add/remove based on mission fit? Thank you so much in advance! :giggle:
Good idea. ;) I don't give lists but part of the solution will involve your own research. This is not a transactional process.

Read

Good idea. ;) I don't give lists but part of the solution will involve your own research. This is not a transactional process.
Will do! I just know some schools are extremely well-known for certain things or research areas, and have a reputation of seeking certain student profiles. (e.g. I'm not applying to Rush because they are super service-oriented and don't allocate as many resources to research endeavors.)
So, I guess I wanted to know if, upon first glance, there are any schools that I should or shouldn't have on my list that you know of? If not, I'll keep doing my research!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
LGBTQ+ so it's very important to me that the med school is accepting, but I'm not mentioning this on my app to play it safe
Seek the MSPA. Sign up with a mentor. Run the list through them.

i'm equally passionate about public health, community organizing, and service-oriented work with vulnerable populations. I'm planning to write about all these things in my P/S.
Lastly, I most likely want to pursue an MD/MPH, but haven't fully decided yet.
An MPH is not necessary and can be deferred until your professional years unless you really think you want to take the courses and delay your graduation (possibly).

I am a little worried your thousands of hours teaching and tutoring and working as a mentor to children and peers could dilute your theme. Where your hours are is where your passion lies, though i am also sure the activity connects to the communities you serve and not necessarily the social advocacy issues and insights.

That said, I wouldn't ask you about research careers based on what you disclosed since you had so much time banked with the EMT position.

On super reaches, I'm not convinced with Harvard or Yale. I think Virginia is very OOS friendly if you match their mission, and inthink you might be okay there if you pitch yourself (Networking helps you).

I am a little worried your thousands of hours teaching and tutoring and working as a mentor to children and peers could dilute your theme. Where your hours are is where your passion lies, though i am also sure the activity connects to the communities you serve and not necessarily the social advocacy issues and insights.

On super reaches, I'm not convinced with Harvard or Yale. I think Virginia is very OOS friendly if you match their mission, and inthink you might be okay there if you pitch yourself (Networking helps you).
Thanks so much! This has given me a lot to think about... :)

A few follow-up Qs if you don't mind -

1) Why are my # of teaching/tutoring hours concerning? Also, I'm not exactly sure myself what my theme is, haha - can you elaborate on what you mean by "diluting my theme"? Are you referring to how I claimed to be passion about community service/community organizing, and this goes agaisnt my app? (I haven't explored the idea of academic medicine too much, but is that what my "theme" seems to be?)
2) I've never heard about networking for med school apps, though I had to do a ton of networking to land my tech job... by networking, do you mean reaching out to current med students at these schools? Or moreso emailing the admission office/people?

You have too many donations on your list. They don't need the money; take your mom out for Mother's Day instead.

“Dream schools are like dream girls: better in the abstract than reality”. –The exceptionally wise gyngyn

I suggest:
U MD
U IA
U ILL
U MA
SUNY-SB
U WI
U Cincy
U CO
U VM
OH State
UCF
NYU-LI
Dartmouth
Brown
Pitt
Miami
SLU
Albany
Drexel
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Tulane
Hackensack Meridian
GWU
Gtown
Netter
MCW
Creighton
Loyola
Emory
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD

Status
Not open for further replies.