MD Been told I'm competitive, do I stand a real chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgerber85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete please

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
delete please

Last edited:
There are no schools on your MD list where one could give even a fair/good chance of an interview. Have you looked at the MSAR's 10th% gpa's for these schools? It went live today. Netter (arguably the best chance on your MD list), has a 10th% Ugpa of 3.28...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
thar be no schools on t' MD list where one could give even a fair chance of an interview. Have ye looked at t' MSAR's 10th% gpa's for these schools? It went live today. Even Netter (arguably yer best chance on t' MD list) has a 10th% Ugpa of 3.28...

And you're an attending physician? Mmmhmm. I'm glad you're not mine.

Your GPA is really not matched with your school list. Consider a lot more DO, perhaps some post bacc work or a SMP

Reactions: 1 user

Why the attitude about gyngyn's comments when they are accurate? I don't think that you will pass the pre-secondary screening at MD programs since your cumulative undergrad GPA is below a 3.0. Since you have a serviceable MCAT, you would be better off applying to DO programs and attempting some form of grade replacement.

Finally, gyngyn has been incredibly helpful to numerous people on the board so your comments are unwarranted regardless of your opinion of their advice.

Reactions: 7 users

Not a prudent way to phrase this. gyngyn is a faculty member and gives extremely helpful advice on these forums.

She is also correct, your cumulative GPA is not competitive at the MD schools you listed. DO schools are probably your best bet at this point.

Why the low cGPA? I'm curious how you ended up with a 2.9c/3.6s after ugrad. Other than that one number, everything looks fine. However, don't underestimate the effect a poor undergrad GPA has on your application as a whole. You can't really "make up" for a bad GPA with research and ECs when applying to MD schools.

Give the application cycle a go and see what happens. If you want a real chance at medical school, you'll expand your DO list a bit. Also consider adding Albany and/or Buffalo.

You've asked for advice multiple times and don't seem to like when the feedback isn't what you want to hear. Don't waste our time asking for feedback if you're going to dismiss it. ;)

Last edited:
Gyngyn is extremely helpful on these forums. Don't ask if you stand a real chance then reel when you get an honest answer. I echo Gyngyn's words. If you still think we're wrong, go apply to all those MD schools. Applying to 21 MD schools will only cost somewhere around $2400 fyi.

Why so rude? You asked for an answer and you got a truthful answer from someone who is a doctor, faculty member and an Adcom member. Or Are you just looking for people to come around and say you are all set to go and you are a shoe in anyplace you apply?

You all are right. I apologize to GynGyn, and to you all.

I know so many underdog stories about applicants who should've had NO chance in hell and are now respectable MD's because they were non-traditional, like me. I have years of experience in research and clinical. I am direct patient care... I start IV's, draw bedside ABG's, i've in/extubated, right heart cath's, level I-III CPETs, vitals (which are easy), I've tracked patients during my clinical hours... on the flipside I've done years of research being published. My ugrad GPA suffered because I missed a lot of school. My father suffered a mitral valve prolapse/regurg and a lot of my non-science courses received little attention from me while I did what I can for my science GPA... all the while being home with my immediate family to care for my father while my mother went to work...

everyone has some sob story... I'm trying to NOT use mine. I want my accomplishments to reflect positively on me now, but it's hard to make A's when I'm working 40-60 hours a week and I'm beyond frustrated b/c I know I have what it takes.. I have recs from so many attending physicians who told me to apply (knowing my poor ugrad GPA)... tbh I work for (and I'm a teaching assistant for him) a harvard med class professor... I asked him if I have a shot at Harvard. He said, sadly no, but he knows I will make a great physician one day and he will be there to be supportive.

Again to ALL of you... especially Gyngyn, I apologize.

Your best chances will be at DO programs. What is your cGPA (UG + grad)?

My stats...
2.9 UGrad GPA, 3.6 Science GPA ugrad - 2008
MS w/ a 3.7 GPA + Published 5 times (2012)
32 MCAT (2012)

Your problem is a c GPA under 3.0 that means you will get auto screened out. I agree you need to consider DO schools

We're realistic around here. You could totally apply to 30 or 40 MD programs and by the grace of God score an interview. It's unlikely though. With grade replacement and a couple retakes, you would definitely get a few acceptance to DO schools. If you want a less than 10% chance of being a physician, go MD. If you want a greater than 80% chance of becoming a physician, go DO and do some retakes. Keep in mind those numbers are BS, but an idea of how bad your chances are one way and how good they are the other.

We're realistic around here. You could totally apply to 30 or 40 MD programs and by the grace of God score an interview. It's unlikely though. With grade replacement and a couple retakes, you would definitely get a few acceptance to DO schools. If you want a less than 10% chance of being a physician, go MD. If you want a greater than 80% chance of becoming a physician, go DO and do some retakes. Keep in mind those numbers are BS, but an idea of how bad your chances are one way and how good they are the other.

Thank you :)