before I spend the time and money...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stmasc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I guess this is pretty much a "what are my chances" post. But, before register for these classes I need and take the MCAT, I need to know if I should even bother right now? My GPA was 3.117 without my community college credits. I got a D in my first ever semester of chemistry and will have to retake it this fall. I also still need to take organic 2... I'm taking the MCAT in October. I have 3 WS in my transcript as well. Two of them are organic chemistry 2 =/. What I am really worried about is that they will see that and assume I will not finish the course in the fall. Does anyone have any advice? I tried emailing admissions for Scholl and got back like a two sentence reply that was completely unhelpful...
Anyway, I'm about to sign up for these expensive courses and if I do well in them and the MCAT, do you think I have a chance...?

Members don't see this ad.

As of right now, what is your GPA? You mentioned your GPA without cc credits, but what is it including those courses? There are just too many factors so a definitive answer is not possible. If you do well in those courses (ie A's) an score high on the MCAT (ie 28+) then you have a great chance IF your GPA is not below 2.75. If you really want to be a pod, you will find a way.

Ok, I guess this is pretty much a "what are my chances" post. But, before register for these classes I need and take the MCAT, I need to know if I should even bother right now? My GPA was 3.117 without my community college credits. I got a D in my first ever semester of chemistry and will have to retake it this fall. I also still need to take organic 2... I'm taking the MCAT in October. I have 3 WS in my transcript as well. Two of them are organic chemistry 2 =/. What I am really worried about is that they will see that and assume I will not finish the course in the fall. Does anyone have any advice? I tried emailing admissions for Scholl and got back like a two sentence reply that was completely unhelpful...
Anyway, I'm about to sign up for these expensive courses and if I do well in them and the MCAT, do you think I have a chance...?

I'm a pretty strong believer in "if there's a will there's a way". If Podiatry is really something you want to do, then you CAN do it. It might not be easy, but it's not supposed to be. Sign up for ochem, and crush it. Get an A. This shouldn't be that hard to do, I did with a full course load. Also you need to remember that your hardest classes in undergrad are supposedly like your easiest classes in medical school. You will be expected to study much harder, and learn triple the material in the same time period. So get used to the grind now.

Then study like crazy for the MCAT. Pull a 25+ This also shouldn't be tooo terribly hard. I know it's easier said than done, I'm studying for it right now. But like I said, it's not easy but if its your dream then it's worth it.

Do you have good ECs? LORs? Medical Experience? Something that sets you apart? Don't forget that GPA and MCAT are only two facets of your app. You make up the rest. Stand out, explain why you have 3 W's and why you believe you've grown from that. Show them with your new grades that you're able to learn from your mistakes and flourish.

Good luck.. keep your head up and stay on the grind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'm not sure how to see what my GPA is with those courses...? I have mostly As and a couple Bs in those courses. I think maybe 8 courses? They should bring me up.
As far as ECs go... I was in the biological honor society and was a research assistant for one of my professors for one semester. I honestly didn't have much time for other things because I worked the entire four years. I was also a conservation research assistant in Peru for about a month. I am getting a LOR from the professor I was an assistant for and I'm hoping one of these Chem profs can give me my other...
And yes I did MUCH better my final two years at university. I definitely show an upward trend!

Look dude, Pod school is not hard to get into. You honestly do not need a 28 to get in or a a crazy gpa. You are listening to students who haven't even started their first day of school yet, take this advice from someone who has been in your shoes and is almost thru pod school. If you are above a 3.0 and have at least a 23-24 you will get interviews. Once you get your interview it is all up to you to impress them.

Reactions: 1 user
@somehelp I was just throwing an example out there regarding a random high MCAT score (for POD school). IF the OP did get a 28 then he needn't worry about not getting in. But he certainly doesn't need a 28. I agree he need to at least get the average for POD school, which isn't too hard. The fact that I haven't started the first day of pod school doesn't mean I haven't been through the process and can't put in my two cents. If anything, it gives me a better understanding because it is still very fresh in my mind.

@OP: You need to figure out what your current GPA is. It will give you a much clear picture as where you stand and an upward trend is always favorable. Getting an interview isn't hard, it is up to you after that. Just keep your head up and aim high. Good Luck!

It is not that hard to find out your cumulative GPA if you have credits from two different institutions. Go to your universities site where you find out your grades (EVERY SCHOOL has that) and then find the site where you can put in your community college user ID/name to find out your grades. Add the amount of scores (grade x credit) from both schools combined and you got your GPA. It would take maybe 10 minutes to put all your grades on an excel spreadsheet and find the GPA if you want to double check. And cumulative GPA isn't everything because your science GPA is just as important. I don't know anything about podiatry school's grade replacement or the community college credits because I have done neither.

Since you said your bad grade was gen chem I assume you took that freshman year like most pre med students. UPWARD trend would be important. Like SomeHelp said, we are all (or majority at least) of use are PRE-podiatry students and he is correct that you don't need a 28 on your MCAT unless you are applying to MD school. You say that you got A's and B's in your community college courses you didn't equate into your cumulative GPA, so you are higher than a 3.12 at least. I think if you get a 23 or 24 (like SomeHelp said) on your MCAT you should get an interview.

I did take one of those KAPLAN courses and personally I don't think it was worth $2,500, but it was a good course. They charge so much because they know that to many pre-med students raising your MCAT score by 2 or 3 points is well worth the $2,500. Also, lots of pre-med students do come from middle to upper class families and know that the one's who come from the richer families are more likely to spend that money to benefit their future. I had Kaplan books from a family friend who took it back in 2009 that I would have used had I not taken the course, but the part I would not have gotten was the online aspect of the KAPLAN which is just as good as the books.

It also doesn't surprise me that the school didn't give you much information if the stuff you told them was what you posted here. They probably sat there and thought to themselves "This kid didn't give us his CORRECT information so why should we give him the correct answer he wants." Next time you email one of the schools you are looking at don't leave them thinking that you didn't do your own research to begin with.

It is not that hard to find out your cumulative GPA if you have credits from two different institutions. Go to your universities site where you find out your grades (EVERY SCHOOL has that) and then find the site where you can put in your community college user ID/name to find out your grades. Add the amount of scores (grade x credit) from both schools combined and you got your GPA. It would take maybe 10 minutes to put all your grades on an excel spreadsheet and find the GPA if you want to double check. And cumulative GPA isn't everything because your science GPA is just as important. I don't know anything about podiatry school's grade replacement or the community college credits because I have done neither.

Since you said your bad grade was gen chem I assume you took that freshman year like most pre med students. UPWARD trend would be important. Like SomeHelp said, we are all (or majority at least) of use are PRE-podiatry students and he is correct that you don't need a 28 on your MCAT unless you are applying to MD school. You say that you got A's and B's in your community college courses you didn't equate into your cumulative GPA, so you are higher than a 3.12 at least. I think if you get a 23 or 24 (like SomeHelp said) on your MCAT you should get an interview.

I did take one of those KAPLAN courses and personally I don't think it was worth $2,500, but it was a good course. They charge so much because they know that to many pre-med students raising your MCAT score by 2 or 3 points is well worth the $2,500. Also, lots of pre-med students do come from middle to upper class families and know that the one's who come from the richer families are more likely to spend that money to benefit their future. I had Kaplan books from a family friend who took it back in 2009 that I would have used had I not taken the course, but the part I would not have gotten was the online aspect of the KAPLAN which is just as good as the books.

It also doesn't surprise me that the school didn't give you much information if the stuff you told them was what you posted here. They probably sat there and thought to themselves "This kid didn't give us his CORRECT information so why should we give him the correct answer he wants." Next time you email one of the schools you are looking at don't leave them thinking that you didn't do your own research to begin with.
Ah, I thought I was somewhat thorough in my questions Haha... I really just wanted them to tell me if they would consider me without having those scores yet...
But I appreciate the advice. I did look into prep courses and was honestly floored by the prices. I have several books, so I guess I will just use those. I've already started studying I'm just worried about the Chem stuff because I haven't had it in a while... I guess I'll just review, review, review.
Another question if anyone can help... I've had trouble getting a hold of a podiatrist to shadow by email so I figure I'll just stop by an office and ask in person? I assume I should bring them my resume and explain what I want to do... is there some official way of recording the time I shadow? Also, when I get my LORs, do they need to be sent straight from the professors to aacpm or do I collect them and then send them...? Sorry, I feel like I've looked everywhere on how to do this and found nothing.

Ah, I thought I was somewhat thorough in my questions Haha... I really just wanted them to tell me if they would consider me without having those scores yet...
But I appreciate the advice. I did look into prep courses and was honestly floored by the prices. I have several books, so I guess I will just use those. I've already started studying I'm just worried about the Chem stuff because I haven't had it in a while... I guess I'll just review, review, review.
Another question if anyone can help... I've had trouble getting a hold of a podiatrist to shadow by email so I figure I'll just stop by an office and ask in person? I assume I should bring them my resume and explain what I want to do... is there some official way of recording the time I shadow? Also, when I get my LORs, do they need to be sent straight from the professors to aacpm or do I collect them and then send them...? Sorry, I feel like I've looked everywhere on how to do this and found nothing.
Walking into a pods office would work. Or find a mentor in your area listed on AACPM website and email them. That's what I did, she replied in a day and a few days later I shadowed her. I also saw a pod for treatment on my foot and at the end of the visit I asked him if I could shadow him and he was perfectly ok with it. I've shadowed orthopedic surgeons, gen surgeons, dermatologists, etc. I just meet them then ask if they would mind if I watched a case one day or followed them in their practice. I've never been told no, ever. They're always pretty excited about it.

The FAQs in the AACPM cover the LORs. Do them in interfolio then you send them (via interfolio) to the schools.