Before You Apply to NYCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This thread is sad. Dont you guys have anything better to do than bash schools. Everyone had their choice of what school to go to, and everyone has their reasons to attend whichever school they are at. Not one school is perfect, nor locations of schools are perfect, nor the teachers/classmates/rules/guidelines/test dates/testing methodology..etc. etc. etc.. We can all find stuff to complain about. NYCPM always seems to be a hot topic of debate for some reason. I, myself, tend to actually enjoy the school. Harlem has alot of culture and we get to see a whole range of patients in the clininc since we are in a disadvantaged neighborhood. If you dont like nycpm.. congratulations.. thats why your at another school. I think this post has gone WAY off from what the original poster intended. He basically said.. hey med school is difficult and he pointed out some rules that might not be shown to you when you interview or visit the school. I think this is fair to say that every person should find the school that they find suitable through interviews and open houses.

Everyone will have their own opinion. Don't mouth unless you have actually experienced the school. Ask questions to learn and talk like a future doctor.
In my experience this thread mirrors how a lot of pre-"professionals" think. Everything turns into a competition.

Pod vs Ortho
DO vs MD
My school vs your school
Class rank
What is the best residency?
which profession makes more money?

The list could go on and on.

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience this thread mirrors how a lot of pre-"professionals" think. Everything turns into a competition.

Pod vs Ortho
DO vs MD
My school vs your school
Class rank
What is the best residency?
which profession makes more money?

The list could go on and on.

Ditto. Except it's coming mainly from current students and alumni.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, I know I am opening

Last edited:
You should know that this school is like a boot camp. Expect 2-3 exams a week. These are real exams. About 40 - 100 questions.

You will have 2-3 days between exams to study for the next exam. Do not fall behind, otherwise you will suffer.

If you fail a subject, you cannot continue with your class. In some cases, you have to wait up to a year until the course is offered again. This will mean that you graduate a year later than scheduled.

If you fail two subjects, you are kicked out and cannot re-apply. NYCPM is not shy about kicking people out because they can make up the numbers with the incoming January class.

The January class is the slow track. They give you 4 semesters to complete the workload for your first year. However, most of these students do not do well in their second year because they do not develop the proper study habits needed to survive.

The faculty do a good job of reaching out to struggling students, but if the student continues to suffer then they are pretty much left to their own fate.

Attendance is mandatory for every class. They have random attendance quizzes everyday. If you miss more than 25% of the classes for each subject, your grade can drop by 5 points.

The school is extremely anal about cheating. There are cameras everywhere. If you want to review an exam, you have to make an appointment to see it. You can review it with a teacher or by yourself. If you go by yourself, you have to empty your pockets and have 15 min to look it over. Afterwards, the exams are shredded.

Housing is not in the best of areas. It is Harlem after all. They are planning to move everyone into the Heritage eventually. Rent is anywhere from $800 to $1300 a month. I don't recommend going through the school because they charge you about $200 more than if you got a place in the same building through the super. Downside is that you will be living with all sorts of shady characters. If you plan to go through the super then do it in your second year with a couple of your classmates. This way you know exactly who you will be sharing an apartment with. You could do it in your second semester, but you would have to pay an early termination fee because NYCPM makes you sign a one year lease.

Every weekend, there were gunshots outside of the dorms and there was also a dead body found near the school. My message is to never walk anywhere alone at night. There have been instances where students were assaulted because they failed to follow this rule.

BRING IT ONNNNN!!! Sounds like a normal medical program. The vans sound really nice, are there any pet friendly places to live near the school that aren't sketchy?

I have my interview on Nov 6th, I'd like to go around and look at the housing options : )

I lived in on the west side of Manhattan for all 4 years of school near the 2 and 3 train lines. My first year I lived in Lincoln Center with 2 roommates. Then my second year I moved to Morningside Heights near the 2 and 3 and the B and C. I was able to walk to school on the really nice days and I saved a ton of money by living in Morningside Heights. Columbia's Main Campus was close by so I was able to study at their libraries.

It is easily one of my favorite neighborhoods in NYC. Great restaurants and cafes and easy access to the rest of NYC.

I have my interview on Nov 6th, I'd like to go around and look at the housing options : )