Being a mom and wanting to pursue dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kelso5184

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any moms on this board pursuing dental school? I have had a strong desire to attend dental school since I got in the dental field a little over 4 years ago. I've been working as a dental assistant off and on while I complete my studies.

Now I'm finding it to be disheartening. I have an 8 month old and I am torn between pursuing my dream, or playing a more active role in his childhood.

I don't want to regret not trying for dental school. It's been my dream for so long and I am so passionate about the field. I don't want to give up on it but my son only has one childhood.

Tell me I'm not alone!

P.S. I'm 25 now and probably would not enter dental school for another 2-3 years (if accepted). I've considered going the hygiene route instead but I don't think I would be satisfied in that role. I would feel as if I'm settling. And honestly, I don't get hyped up thinking of cleaning teeth day in and day out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not interested in dental school but am trying to get into medical school. I have an 18 month old and I am doing it for her. I don't want her to ever think that I didn't pursue my dreams because of her. Not that I would ever make her feel that way but you never know. It will be tough but you can do it. It is a balancing act that you will have to figure out but if it what you want then you will. A lot of people I have talked say that the students with kids are more focused and use their time better because they want to be there for their kids. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Not a mom, but I thought I'd chime in. I would say absolutely go for it, but think through the financial implications of doing so. Dental school is absurdly expensive for the most part, you won't graduate until you are 31-32 years old potentially with $450k+ in debt if you only get into expensive private or OOS schools. That debt is insane to pay off at 25-26, even harder 5-6 years behind. Not totally impossible to do, but with a son you want to spend time with I can imagine it'll be tough.
I think you can absolutely handle the school/parent balance, it's the debt that would be my concern if I were you

I know there are a few on here that had children through dental school so I'm sure they'll chime in with more insightful knowledge

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should follow your dreams, and your kid will be an even more incentive to succeed and prosper.

There’s a few dads and one mom in my class. If you do well in school now (as in it doesn’t take huge amounts of effort for you to barely pass classes) and don’t have aspirations to specialize, just passing classes in dental school is not that difficult. I’m personally trying to keep my grades up, but if I wasn’t, I’d be busy sometimes but often I would have tons of free time.

Reactions: 1 user