Being Blunt About Ec's!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mynamewastaken

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying to medical school as a post bacc but i'm wondering if there's any consensus on "type" of extracurriculars being best? I am currently committed to one year of volunteer full time community service in a low income health center and as it ends I will be beginning a tutoring program with HIV positive children part time while i take classes....I have done lab research in the past but was not published and have worked as a hospital orderly....i notice many schools and programs pushing research but in all honesty, i took very little from it and found my experience far from stimulating or edifying. I guess i saw what life was like for a research physician but realized after a week thats not what i want....i also feel like the majority of premeds who do research dont have a sincere interest in it either....i guess my question is, if i have limited time to do Ec's is it ok to stick to one type (research, clinical, community service-nonmedicine)...?? which one would be best?

Members don't see this ad.

I think adcoms prefer quality over quantity. It's better to be really involved in only 1 or 2 activities than to just sign up for a bunch of crap and not really care. As for what is best, figure out where you think your application may be weak. It sounds like you have a lot of hospital experience as well as some research. Just pick one that really interests you and makes you more well rounded.

mynamewastaken said:
I will be applying to medical school as a post bacc but i'm wondering if there's any consensus on "type" of extracurriculars being best? I am currently committed to one year of volunteer full time community service in a low income health center and as it ends I will be beginning a tutoring program with HIV positive children part time while i take classes....I have done lab research in the past but was not published and have worked as a hospital orderly....i notice many schools and programs pushing research but in all honesty, i took very little from it and found my experience far from stimulating or edifying. I guess i saw what life was like for a research physician but realized after a week thats not what i want....i also feel like the majority of premeds who do research dont have a sincere interest in it either....i guess my question is, if i have limited time to do Ec's is it ok to stick to one type (research, clinical, community service-nonmedicine)...?? which one would be best?

Do whatever you enjoy doing the most. As long as it is something that contributes to the community and strengthens your passion for medicine it is good!

LJDHC05 said:
Do whatever you enjoy doing the most. As long as it is something that contributes to the community and strengthens your passion for medicine it is good!

Agreed. Listen to this person!