Being from the southeast, how difficult is it to get a TY in a big city?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermaway

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a different region?

I would love for one in literally any big city OUTSIDE of the southeast. NYC, Chicago, LA, SF, Philly, and I would even count DC among others.

My numbers are good, 260+ junior AOA, and I have heard that TYs and prelim years only care about numbers.

But anyways, as I am not locked to this region, I am having a difficult time deciding how many or what programs to apply to. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You will be fine with your good stats. Most programs are quite regional and they are more likely to interview regional candidates, so that their limited no. of interview spots won't go to waste. Therefore, if you have a good reason to sell yourself to the program (e.g. you are interviewed by a program of your advanced specialty in the same city, or if you have a relative in town), it doesn't hurt to email the program coordinator and express your interest.

A good strategy is apply to at least 10 TY programs, because you pay the same fee for the first 10 programs. Some also add 10 prelim med programs to increase the chance of matching (especially for those with less competitive stats). There are some less rigorous prelim med programs at smaller private hospitals.