PhD/PsyD Being "large" and the Doctoral Admissions Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I keep seeing the title of this thread and I must comment:

CogNeuroGuy, be large and in charge. Own the body you are in..if you cannot "own" your body, then make the lifestyle changes necessary. Like so many things, don't leave the starting gates with perceived 'handicap'...own it and be the best you that you can be, regardless of what others' may think. I once equated being a parent to somewhat of a handicap (*think golf, not developmental handicap*)...and if a program does not want you b/c of your body size, you do not want them (e.g., if a program did not want me b/c I am a parent, I certainly do not want to attend there). I'm sure you have gathered this from all the previous posts. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I keep seeing the title of this thread and I must comment:

CogNeuroGuy, be large and in charge. Own the body you are in..if you cannot "own" your body, then make the lifestyle changes necessary. Like so many things, don't leave the starting gates with perceived 'handicap'...own it and be the best you that you can be, regardless of what others' may think. I once equated being a parent to somewhat of a handicap (*think golf, not developmental handicap*)...and if a program does not want you b/c of your body size, you do not want them (e.g., if a program did not want me b/c I am a parent, I certainly do not want to attend there). I'm sure you have gathered this from all the previous posts. ;)

I am confident in my size so to speak, but obviously regardless of how I may feel about myself, others may not share that same sentiment and may judge or be unfair towards folks who may not fit their "healthy" expectations. I have always been a larger person, love food, I don't just see it as ATP :p. You are very right in the concept that if a program wouldn't have me because of that "issue," then perhaps they also engage in other behaviors that may not be overall conducive to what I like. I'm not sure how far this will get me, I read somewhere that well adjusted people typically do things despite other's opinions, come to think of it, it was one of those pop psych. articles based on some personality stuff.

I know that it is possible to achieve my goals, I am larger guy and have been told that while I may be large, I also have a large heart :p. Can you imagine me in a small interview room doing a 3 hour battery? I'm a big dude (6'2, 390).

Reactions: 1 user
CogNeuroGuy,

I would LOVE to be in a small room with you if you were evaluating me based on my needs which may result in overall improvements in my life. There is sometimes a sense of security felt in others that command their presence IMO. One caveat...always make sure you are pleasantly smelling :)...that is the only way I would NOT tolerate anyone in a small space (but I had to deal with this pet peeve also when I had previously homeless clients who lived with SMI). I had a good friend/fellow extern who always smelled of cigarette smoke and I eventually said something directly to the person b/c no one else would but would talk behind this
person's back. I was not in a supervisory position (or else I would not have hestitated) so I took a chance but it was very collegial instead.

Yes, smelling and looking good in small confined areas is important! Some people have a pet peeve of no cologne, I know a good deal of psychologists and doctoral students who abide by this, however I can think of a handful of students that don't. One guy came in yesterday and I told him "is that Dolce?" :p I think he had a decent amount on, he wasn't bathed in it, but then again there are patients who can't tolerate it period, especially with a diagnosis that possibly accentuates certain odorants.