Being single in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happy_6523

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do y’all feel being single in dental school?

Although it’s not a good idea to date your classmates, have you ever been attracted to some of your classmates?

I feel like it’s kinda difficult not to develop a romantic relationship when you’re staying with your classmates most of the time

Members don't see this ad.

I was single for the first semester and it honestly wasn't that bad, felt like being single at any other stage in life. Now in my second D1 semester I just recently got into a relationship which I am very happy about. She's not in my class or a professional student (she works in STEM ), but we see each other only on weekends and she does a lot of nice things like cook for me so that I have lunch for long days of classes. Definitely a great additon to my life.

As for the being attracted to your classmates, it's definitely normal. My class is full of smart and attractive women so it's bound to happen. But at the same time you gotta remember the don't **** where you eat rule most people preach. It's there for a reason, a breakup can make the next few years awkward and soon the whole class knows who is sleeping with who. You just gotta remember there's plenty of attractive people outside of dental school and that you can date them too.

Last edited:
OP should have gone to medschool. My administrators encouraged relationships during 1st day orientation, even bragging that they had a few marriages that resulted from each class. I have seen so many engagements and marriages in the last year as my class prepares for graduation and residency. I'll get out of your forum now...

Members don't see this ad :)
When you date someone from your class you play with fire. There have been relationships in my class that have caused divisions in the class but also some that have been dating for years now and are still happy. Would recommend finding someone outside the class.

Never been scared to be involved with classmates. Never had problems

A friend told me about an ex-couple at their dental school. The relationship went south in a hard way, she got a restraining order and he couldn’t be in the school at the same time. So, he spent a year sitting around while she finished up and graduated, then he came back to finish school.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
Dated and married my classmate and worked together for 30 years. Just celebrated our 40th anniversary.
You should be able to date plenty of hygiene, nursing, pharmacy and undergrads.

Reactions: 3 users
I was single for the first semester and it honestly wasn't that bad, felt like being single at any other stage in life. Now in my second D1 semester I just recently got into a relationship which I am very happy about. She's not in my class or a professional student (she works in STEM ), but we see each other only on weekends and she does a lot of nice things like cook for me so that I have lunch for long days of classes. Definitely a great additon to my life.

As for the being attracted to your classmates, it's definitely normal. My class is full of smart and attractive women so it's bound to happen. But at the same time you gotta remember the don't **** where you eat rule most people preach. It's there for a reason, a breakup can make the next few years awkward and soon the whole class knows who is sleeping with who. You just gotta remember there's plenty of attractive people outside of dental school and that you can date them too.
wish I went to med school...

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
I'd date a humble person outside of dental/med school that would support you. Other future docs aren't even an option. My 2 cents