Beneficial/worthwhile non-science courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeppelinpage4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I understand that this is probably a bit of an odd question but I just finished with advising and have registration coming up soon.

Anyhow next semester I am planning on taking a relatively challenging/science heavy course load.

It'll have Cell Biology, Organic II, Calc Physics II, Physics Lab and 1-Credit research with a professor.

I wanted to only take these courses and be done with it but it only puts me at 11-credit hours and I need an extra class to be considered full time.

My adviser said I am relatively ahead and in good shape for my core requirements and should try and take a fun/relaxing non-science course to pair with the other intense classes.

I always wanted to take Music Theory but it is not offered in the spring.
I can't think of much else that interests me beyond that, so I figure I could get some idea on what might be helpful.

Perhaps a writing/english course? I hope to take the MCAT at the end of the summer, so maybe something in literature might build my writing skills.

Yeah sorry for the long post, it's not too serious a thread but I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas on what I could take.

Thanks everyone. :)

Members don't see this ad.

English would be good.... If you're into music, another music class might be enjoyable and interesting. A philosophy course would be helpful for a number of things (MCAT, better understanding of ethics, etc.)

Spanish 1? It's easy, useful, and usually the teacher throws a party with pan dulce and other tasty treats at the end of the quarter/semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
English would be a good choice - many schools require 1-2 semesters of English. As a pscyhology major, I found that the psych department at my university usually offers some pretty interesting courses that aren't terribly difficult. I also took an art history course on a whim that ended up being good and a nice change of pace if you have any intersest in that area.

Abnormal psych

Health psych

Vary too much by school to say whether or not they'd be easy/not very time consuming though

Spanish 101
Economic
Philosophy

Or just take Golf. I really wish i did that during college

My senior year I look a class on eastern religions and after taking it I regretted waiting so long to take a religion class. If I had more time as an undergrad I would have then wanted to minor in religion. So my advise would be to take something that is not related or similar to your major. Make sure the class sounds interesting but use it broaden your horizons. I had a professor once tell me "the ocean is as wide as it is deep."

Philosophy (maybe a Bioethics class?)
English (composition)
Sociology

Philosophy is really cool, but it isn't always the easiest especially if you have to read a lot of original texts. I took a history of film class, the teacher basically just lectured for 30 minutes, and then we watched a feature film every class, film appreciation is probably pretty similar.

Intro to psych (if you haven't taken it already) is something everyone should take

Sensation and Perception (really cool at my uni.. a little biology, but its like bio for psych majors so its a breeze)

Music would be good

Maybe a personal finance class from the bus dept all about investments, real estate, good business practice, etc for non-business majors. (looking down the road to running your own practice?)

my school has a 'medical latin' class where you learn all the roots/prefixes/suffixes that dominate medical terminology.

Classes I took for fun:
Fiction writing class
Neuroscience (easiest class ever as a bio major)
Social Psych
Drugs and Human behavior (psych class)
Intro guitar
Greek and Roman Religion

And my alltime favorite:
Beer and wine appreciation.... I get credit for drinking. :D

I came in with 24 credit hours so I got to take a lot of sh*ts and giggles classes