Benefits of graduating at the top of your class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobsacamenoh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the benefits of graduating at the top or near the top of your class in optometry school?

Members don't see this ad.

maybe in 2nd 3rd year if you're top of the class you get a scholarship
overall though over the four years....i guess u get an award...nothin else that i know of...i guess you could stick it in your classmates face :p
im smarter than you! ;)

Don't you get better picks for your externship sites?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, it does not increase the number of job opportunities?

Simisn said:

at UHCO yes... but if you're in the top 25% you'll get what you want regardless. From my experience ... once you're out, no one cares what your GPA was. Even as a fourth year .. no one has EVER asked me what my GPA is.

cpw said:
at UHCO yes... but if you're in the top 25% you'll get what you want regardless. From my experience ... once you're out, no one cares what your GPA was. Even as a fourth year .. no one has EVER asked me what my GPA is.

cpw,
is it true that if you get all C's in opt. school, you'll still get your OD?

and

even if you get all C's in all the classes, wouldnt you have a hard time with boards?

Simisn said:

Not at PCO.

It is true that some docs would like to see our clinical evaluations, so the better evaluation the more likely you'll get that doctor for an externship. However, not all docs require them, also if an externship site is competitive its mainly done by a lottery.