Bennington?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grouse

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with their program? How does it compare with some of the other post-bacs? How difficult is admission? How is their admission rate compared to other programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Loved their program and visited/researched 6 before deciding. Has changed in some ways since I've been there (e.g. some faculty left/replaced), but is still a gem if you want intimate classes/teaching, more access to faculty than anywhere else for teaching/research, etc, and LoR and evals that tend to be much more substantive than the average given how well faculty get to know you per tiny program size. Placement quite imprressive. Can't speak to admission rates/difficulty, but this is not for those with poor grades who want to retake and boost GPA.

Potential downsides for some: too small, they don't hold your hand through the admissions process, very academic (i.e. not a pre-med factory like many of the others).

Good luck.

Koko said:
Loved their program and visited/researched 6 before deciding. Has changed in some ways since I've been there (e.g. some faculty left/replaced), but is still a gem if you want intimate classes/teaching, more access to faculty than anywhere else for teaching/research, etc, and LoR and evals that tend to be much more substantive than the average given how well faculty get to know you per tiny program size. Placement quite imprressive. Can't speak to admission rates/difficulty, but this is not for those with poor grades who want to retake and boost GPA.

Potential downsides for some: too small, they don't hold your hand through the admissions process, very academic (i.e. not a pre-med factory like many of the others).

Good luck.

What do you mean not a pre-med factory? And, they don't hold your hand through admissions process? By the way stats are 3.6 gpa in good liberal arts school; lib arts major; won a couple of academic awards; haven't taken GRE's yet. No science courses in college to speak of.

Members don't see this ad :)
grouse said:
What do you mean not a pre-med factory? And, they don't hold your hand through admissions process? By the way stats are 3.6 gpa in good liberal arts school; lib arts major; won a couple of academic awards; haven't taken GRE's yet. No science courses in college to speak of.

There are many programs that are post-bacc pre-med factories: with minor interest in the individual student, lots of students enrolled, impersonal --basically a cash cow for the school.

Some programs hold your hand/walk you through the med school admissions process by offering support in your application/counseling, etc. Bennington does not. Comparison shop and decide what you want.

Your stats sound perfectly good.

Is anyone on here a current or former student in the Bennington Program?? I am currently overseas and looking into this program. i will not get to visit bennington before enrolling... if i enroll. if anyone can provide some current info about the program (your experience, teachers, grading, etc.) i'd greatly appreciate it- as the only info i can find is through their website, and i'm guessing it may be a bit biased. cheers

grouse said:
I'm there now, and I can affirm Koko's point. Our PD is an excellent practitioner of her discipline, and knows her way around the admissions process, but she has explicitly stated that the purpose of the program is to give us an opportunity to prepare, it's not to do the preparing for us. We get pointed in the right directions, we get advice, but at the end of the day we call our own shots, and we sink or swim based on the work we've done within the program as well as the preparation we've done on ourselves.

What that means in day-to-day terms can be a benefit: graduates tend to be confident, independent people who know their stuff. It can also be a little bit of a nerve-rattler -- it's highly recommended you do a Kaplan or other MCAT prep course right after finishing, because not everything that's on the MCAT is necessarily part of the courses we take. And if your learning style is not on a wavelength with the teaching style of one of the key faculty, the small program means you need to learn to deal with it. Then again, this is a skill that will serve you for the rest of your career.

Summer term (if you do the one-year version of the program) is intense and, frankly, insane. But it's very similar to what a med school workload is like. I consider the above to be benefits, which just shows how deep I am into this!

In general, my perception is that we deal with some of the slings and arrows of studenthood that some others might get to avoid until med school itself. We are NOT in a happy warm coccoon expecting the program to turn us into butterflies. I believe this makes us more attractive as applicants, because we can talk meaningfully about what we're getting into, why we're doing it, and what it's been like to get this far. Every pre-med students' day and advising session I've been to tells me that's what adcoms want: a realistic and thoughtful view of what we're getting into. But everyone's experience is different, which is why you can't generalize any more than that.

Grain of salt: I took the independence thing so far that I've decided to point at PA school rather than MD school. The fact that the program is able to adapt and still offer me the structure and the advising/ committee letter just underlines what I like about this place.