Benzodiazepine and Olanzapine withdrawal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lattes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody, my mother has been suffering from major depression for some time now, around one year. Recently she was being treated by a psychiatrist who, in my opinion was giving her too many meds. During the morning, she was taking one pill of citalopram, 2 pills of carbolithium, half a pill of Olanzapine. In the afternoon, another pill of carbolithium, another pill of citalopram and one pill of bromazepam. Before going to bed, she was taking 2 pills of bromazepam and again half a pill of olanzapine.

On thursday, due too much sufferment, my father decided to take her to another psychiatrist. This one removed Olanzapine altogether, arguing that it's a very dangerous medication and unnecessary in her condition. He also decided to remove the amount of Bromazepam taken from 3 pills to just 1, taken before going to bed. She doesn't have problem going to bed, and sleeps well all night long. She's experiencing a strong withdrawwal syndrome in my opinion, but also unstable. Sometimes she's doing great but then she experiences like 30 minutes of agony and desperation in which she literally begs for a pill of Bromazepam. We could clearly see a huge improvemnet in her condition from thurday till now, since. Besides that, the psychiatrist also prescribed valproic acid, to take before going to sleep as well. When she took it, an hour or two after, an abrupt diarrhea took place, nearly all night long.

So, I was just wondering you guys' opinion on this case. I know it's pretty silly to use this forum for that purpose, but we're simply desperate, after attending four to five psychiatrists and nothing really working out, and it would be interesting to have opinions from people from abroad (I'm not in America, I'm in Brazil). My questions are mainly: Was reducing Bromazepam out of the sudden too strong to her or we should try to endure it and keep it reduced to just a pill before going to sleep? Would it be wise to keep her on Citalopram, Lithium and that only pill of Bromazepam to see how she reacts, while ignoring the prescription of Valproic acid altogether? I know that valproic acid can work as a mood stabilizer but maybe it's too soon for someone still experiencing withdrawal syndrome from both olanzapine and bromazepam.

Thank you su much for your attention. I hope this discussion might benefit other med students as well in finding out more about medication and treatment.

Members don't see this ad.

I know it's pretty silly to use this forum for that purpose
Not just silly, but against the rules. And for good reason. Talk to a doctor that's actually seen your mom.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.