Berkeley Review CBT Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen any posts for everyone to post BR CBT scores so here it is. I will start:

BR CBT 1: 31 (10/9/12) UGH VERBAL!

Feel free to add your scores!

Members don't see this ad.

CBT 1: 9/11-12/8 28
CBT 2: 10/9/9 28 (1 question away from and 11/10 in PS/VR respectively. :-/)

After two BS sections on TBR, I am beginning to question whether they can make decent Bio passages or if I have some sort of comprehension issue.
CBT 2's PS section was a fun though.

Again, I spent most of my time guessing my way through their biology passages. I don't think many people on SDN use TBR CBTs, hence the silence in the thread.

Last edited:
CBT 1: 9/11-12/8 28
CBT 2: 10/9/10 29 (1 question away from and 11/10 in PS/VR respectively. :-/)

After two BS sections on TBR, I am beginning to question whether they can make decent Bio passages or if I have some sort of comprehension issue.
CBT 2's PS section was a fun though.

Again, I spent most of my time guessing my way through their biology passages. I don't think many people on SDN use TBR CBTs, hence the silence in the thread.
I honestly thought besides the carb passage on 1 that CBT 1 was easy for bio

Reactions: 1 user
I honestly thought besides the carb passage on 1 that CBT 1 was easy for bio

To each their own I suppose. Reading AAMC Biology passages is like cutting through butter with a hot knife; the languqge is clear and precise. TBR passages feel like wading through quicksand.

I got 7 questions wrong on my last AAMC BS section. I doubt I'll come anywhere close to that on a TBR section.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
TBR CBT 1 is easiest all around, espcially verbal.

1: 33
2-4: 32/33 pre
5:26 LOL,
2-4 were pretty consistent with 11-12/9-10/11-12
5 was just brutal, they tested the hardest topics(like carnot cycle).
My real tests had pretty decent topics just presented in hard ways/questions, If there's a curve like BR's, then I should score the same. But, I can only hope that will happen because BR's CBT curve is very generous.

My real tests had pretty decent topics just presented in hard ways/questions, If there's a curve like BR's, then I should score the same. But, I can only hope that will happen because BR's CBT curve is very generous.
What was your CBT 1 breakdown?

To each their own I suppose. Reading AAMC Biology passages is like cutting through butter with a hot knife; the languqge is clear and precise. TBR passages feel like wading through quicksand.

I got 7 questions wrong on my last AAMC BS section. I doubt I'll come anywhere close to that on a TBR section.
Just finished CBT 2 PS. Was pretty tough. Very conceptual. I hope I got at least 10

The TBR guy that posts on here occasionally posted a rating of the difficulties of each exam and each section of the exam, I don't remember the name of the thread though, but that might be of some help.

I had been searching too but couldn't find, so I thought maybe I imagined it. I dug around in the test prep week forums and found it:

(7 Full-Length CBT Exams, all come with 21 Passages and detailed answer explanations)
  • TBR Practice Test I . . . . .Good starter exam (difficult PS, easy VR, medium BS)
  • TBR Practice Test II . . . . Mid-range Exam (medium PS, hard VR, medium BS)
  • TBR Practice Test III . . . .Punishment Exam (difficult PS, difficult VR, difficult BS)
  • TBR Practice Test IV . . . . Mid-range Exam (medium PS, medium VR, hard BS)
  • TBR Practice Test V . . . . .Difficult Exam (hard PS, medium VR, hard BS)
  • TBR Practice Test VI . . . . Mid-range Exam (semi-easy PS, medium VR, medium BS)
  • TBR Practice Test VII . . . .Hard Exam (hard PS, medium VR, hard BS)
I take #3 tomorrow, so excited!

I had been searching too but couldn't find, so I thought maybe I imagined it. I dug around in the test prep week forums and found it:

(7 Full-Length CBT Exams, all come with 21 Passages and detailed answer explanations)
  • TBR Practice Test I . . . . .Good starter exam (difficult PS, easy VR, medium BS)
  • TBR Practice Test II . . . . Mid-range Exam (medium PS, hard VR, medium BS)
  • TBR Practice Test III . . . .Punishment Exam (difficult PS, difficult VR, difficult BS)
  • TBR Practice Test IV . . . . Mid-range Exam (medium PS, medium VR, hard BS)
  • TBR Practice Test V . . . . .Difficult Exam (hard PS, medium VR, hard BS)
  • TBR Practice Test VI . . . . Mid-range Exam (semi-easy PS, medium VR, medium BS)
  • TBR Practice Test VII . . . .Hard Exam (hard PS, medium VR, hard BS)
I take #3 tomorrow, so excited!

can you guys comment on the BS section/Verbals (realistic nature compared to AAMC)? I am contemplating how many of the TBR CBTs I should do, should I break them down and only do certain sections? for GS I only did PS sections

can you guys comment on the BS section/Verbals (realistic nature compared to AAMC)? I am contemplating how many of the TBR CBTs I should do, should I break them down and only do certain sections? for GS I only did PS sections

So I managed to score a 10 on BS in 2012 and in 2012 I used 1R-6R exams. This year I've taken 3 and 4 in CBT form and done the BS self assessment scoring in the range that would be equal to a 10-11 on the real MCAT. All that being said, I am scoring 8-9 on TBR's BS sections. Much of this, I feel, has to do with their emphasis on biochemistry (as others have pointed out). They seem to believe we need an intimate knowledge of proteins, carbohydrates, and other random things that MCAT only looks at superficially.

I've taken CBT 1-3 so far, and at this point I've pretty much given up on expecting anything above a 9 on their BS sections, because as I take more tests the BS sections won't be getting easier. lol

Last edited:
I'm scared for CBT #3!

Since CBT 3 PS is supposed to be murder I decided to put my extra brainpower towards it. I scored PS: 11 and BS: 8. I'm not counting the VR because I went slower than usual since I skipped a passage. Either way, I still got shafted by their BS section.

Warning about CBT 3, it uses a passage from an AAMC FL about Agrarian Farming. I decided to skip reading it and I guessed the answers since it is a passage I plan to do for AAMC 9.

It's mentioned here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/tbr-cbt-sucks-i-cannot-believe-it.718096/

Members don't see this ad :)

Personally, I think that BR physical science is pretty good. My friend took the real MCAT and said that the PS was very similar. It all depends on the MCAT you get though because sometimes it will be more "mathy" which will resemble the Kaplan FLs more. The BR full lengths are very conceptual for PS (similar to their practice books).

Since CBT 3 PS is supposed to be murder I decided to put my extra brainpower towards it. I scored PS: 11 and BS: 8. I'm not counting the VR because I went slower than usual since I skipped a passage. Either way, I still got shafted by their BS section.

Warning about CBT 3, it uses a passage from an AAMC FL about Agrarian Farming. I decided to skip reading it and I guessed the answers since it is a passage I plan to do for AAMC 9.

It's mentioned here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/tbr-cbt-sucks-i-cannot-believe-it.718096/

With the difficulty of the PS science (according to your post earlier about it being difficult) I'd say that 11 is a great score! I feel like the BS section is hit or miss. Like I said, on CBT 1 I got a 12, however on CBT 2 I got a 9. However, I feel as though BS 9 nailed me on two of my weak points (protecting groups and PI of amino acids) which I got like 4/10 correct. Everything else I was fine on.

TBR BS was actually somewhat similar to the real deal. TBR verbal was completely different. I took all 7 CBTs and actually substituted their VR sectiosn for TPRH verbal tests.

TBR BS was actually somewhat similar to the real deal. TBR verbal was completely different. I took all 7 CBTs and actually substituted their VR sectiosn for TPRH verbal tests.

When you say substituted, what do you mean you just filled out random answers when you got to verbal?

It's mentioned here:

Do they provide a scaled score or do you have to physically calculate it? How does the scoring work, do they provide scores after you complete all 3 sections or like GS after each section?

Personally, I think that BR physical science is pretty good. My friend took the real MCAT and said that the PS was very similar. It all depends on the MCAT you get though because sometimes it will be more "mathy" which will resemble the Kaplan FLs more. The BR full lengths are very conceptual for PS (similar to their practice books).

With the difficulty of the PS science (according to your post earlier about it being difficult) I'd say that 11 is a great score! I feel like the BS section is hit or miss. Like I said, on CBT 1 I got a 12, however on CBT 2 I got a 9. However, I feel as though BS 9 nailed me on two of my weak points (protecting groups and PI of amino acids) which I got like 4/10 correct. Everything else I was fine on.

Can you take just the PS or BS sections on these like in gold standard?

When you say substituted, what do you mean you just filled out random answers when you got to verbal?

Do they provide a scaled score or do you have to physically calculate it? How does the scoring work, do they provide scores after you complete all 3 sections or like GS after each section?

Can you take just the PS or BS sections on these like in gold standard?
I don't think so. You just gotta fill out random answers.

At the end of the test they show a review page with a check next to correct questions and an X next to incorrect. We have to manually tally up the number correct and copare that to a PDF that they emailed to us.
Yes, you could take just he PS or BS section, by skipping over the verbal section.

I just started the section, used it as a timer, and took a TPRH section test (which is 7 sections long -- just like an actual verbal section). Obviously, all of the answer in the TBR section were left blank when the timer ran out.

I just started the section, used it as a timer, and took a TPRH section test (which is 7 sections long -- just like an actual verbal section). Obviously, all of the answer in the TBR section were left blank when the timer ran out.

can you leave them blank and submit them to "get an answer key" and then repeat the exam? (ie. if i wanna do PS and leave verbal and BS blank is that possible?)

can you leave them blank and submit them to "get an answer key" and then repeat the exam? (ie. if i wanna do PS and leave verbal and BS blank is that possible?)

You're talking about TBR CBTs, right? There is no electronic grading method. They send you a .pdf scale and you have to grade your exam by hand. So, yeah -- you can definitely chop up the exams in whichever facet you see fit.

You're talking about TBR CBTs, right? There is no electronic grading method. They send you a .pdf scale and you have to grade your exam by hand. So, yeah -- you can definitely chop up the exams in whichever facet you see fit.

Yeah the TBR CBTs, if I wanna do them section by section, can I just submit blank answers for the 3 sections and hit submit to see the right answers? You can take each test multiple times right?

CBT 4: 9/9/7 WOOT!

Bombed a PS passage and the FSQs that came right after it for an amazing 1/8 questions correct.

Biology was standard fare. I'm barely able to make sense of any of TBR's Biology CBT passages. Thankfully, I've only got one more CBT to go before I switch back to AAMC.

Edit: CBT 4 not 5.

Last edited:
I have been taking BR CBTs. I have done the first 5. Definitely agree that 1 was easy and 3 and 5 were hard. I have scored 32-28-28-31-25 respectively. I also agree that they go pretty in depth with the biochemistry. Im not saying that it definitely won't show up on an MCAT, but it isn't that high yield of a topic.

Had to stop to go do something but I finished the PS and VR for CBT 3.

CBT 3: 13/8/tbt

Sweet dude(tte)! I've been trying to score in the 13 range on PS from the very first CBT but the closest I got was about 4 questions away. CBT 4 seemed to have an entire passage devoted to one of my weak areas. :-/

solid. i got tripped up on BS. I got 12/9/8 on that one. Usually Im good with Bio. Im taking #6 tomorrow
Yeah, honestly I felt horrible after that biology section. On one of the passages I thought I missed everything and ended up getting all of them right somehow lol.

I didn't think the PS was that hard. The first 20 questions I dominated finished in like 20 mins lol. I hope i get acid base on my MCAT I'm good at that

I didn't think the PS was that hard. The first 20 questions I dominated finished in like 20 mins lol. I hope i get acid base on my MCAT I'm good at that
Yeah, the first passages felt
Like a joke honestly. The mass spec question I nailed because I just yesterday went over that in depth in the BR books hahaha. I got stuck on the specific heat and the Doppler shift question

Anyone care to comment how difficult these are compared to AAMCs? I've done #1 and #5 (only PS sections) and got 9 and 8 on it - these tests are very hard for me

Anyone care to comment how difficult these are compared to AAMCs? I've done #1 and #5 (only PS sections) and got 9 and 8 on it - these tests are very hard for me
Seriously? These are sooooooo easy! Come on you should be getting 14s at the least! Hahah jk they are hard for me as well.

Okay good to hear we are on the same page!

Since I don't have consistent scores for verbal using either TPR FL or TBR CBT's , I'm not sure what to expect on the real exam ( I'm scoring on the lower end-for TBR CBT and TPR; I can't finish the verbal for some reason).

I do have higher verbal scores on AAMC; but took the exam last year in April. Although I don't remember anything about the passages, I'm afraid my verbal scores are not reflective.

:help: