Berkeley Review (Organic Chemistry Ch.2, #26/27)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Labminion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hoping somebody can explain how to determine the formal charges on transition metal complexes in these problems. The answer explanation says we need to find formal charges on the central metal (i.e. the formal charge on RhCl3(PR3)3 and Co(H20)6(+3)). Is there a method to calculating the formal charge on transition metals? To find FC on non-transition metals, we use: valence electrons - lone pair electrons - (1/2 bonding electrons). Wouldn't all the transition metals have only two valence electrons at most (either one or two "s" electrons, depending on the element)? Or do we count the "d" electrons as part of the valence electrons?

Also, is there a way to tell whether the ligands bound to the central transition metal are neutral? I.e., it appears that water and NH3 are considered to have no charge, while Cl is given a charge of -1. Do we just calculate the formal charge of the ligand alone, and use that to determine the charge of the central atom?

Any insight is very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.