BERKELEY REVIEW scores/discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capn jazz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just like the EK Verbal 101 thread, this is a thread to talk about how you're doing with the TBR passages. I don't know how people are generally going through these, but I'm doing Phase I and II after reading the chapter, and saving Phase III for after I finish all content review.

I'm currently working on Gen Chem.

Chapter 1:
Phase I: 27/41 = 66% = 10
Phase II: 10/20 = 50% = 8 (ouch!)

Chapter 2:
Phase I: 29/37 = 78% = 11
Phase II: 28/33 = 85% = 13

So far I LOVE the book. I hated Gen Chem and I'm enjoying reading this and I really feel like it's helping me grasp the topics. Hopefully future chapters will continue this trend...

Now it's up to you guys! Keep this thread alive!

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you can answer my question: does the term diastereomer apply to geometric isomers as well? If it does, can a pair of geometric isomers be enantiomers?

It's good that you're supplementing TBR Biology with other resources. As summarized by gettheleadout below, some have written that TBR Biology less effectively prepared them than Kaplan and TPRH Biology.

TBR Orgo gives a good strategy to figure out if two things are diastereomers. They say it one has to have inverted absolute configuration at more than one (but not all) chiral centers. That's really helpful for me.

Generally, a lot of geometric isomers are diastereomers since diastereomers are just stereoisomers that aren't mirror images. Look at something like E-but-2-ene vs Z-but-2-ene. Those count as diastereomers because they're stereoisomers, but they aren't mirror images.

I would use TBR's strategy though. I sucked with these types of questions until I started doing that.

You're absolutely right. I never considered geometric isomers to be stereoisomers but it makes perfect sense now. Thanks!

TBR Orgo gives a good strategy to figure out if two things are diastereomers. They say it one has to have inverted absolute configuration at more than one (but not all) chiral centers. That's really helpful for me.

Generally, a lot of geometric isomers are diastereomers since diastereomers are just stereoisomers that aren't mirror images. Look at something like E-but-2-ene vs Z-but-2-ene. Those count as diastereomers because they're stereoisomers, but they aren't mirror images.

I would use TBR's strategy though. I sucked with these types of questions until I started doing that.

I thought stereochemistry referred to chiral centers and R and S configurations only? How can E-but-2-ene and Z-but-2-ene be considered diastereomers when neither has any chiral centers? I'm probably missing something simple here but I am just wondering :)

Edit: Alas, a quick Google search has shown me that cis/trans configurations also count as diastereomers!

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay. Now that we've established that geometric stereoisomers can also be diastereomers, can they also be enantiomers or meso compounds?

My expectation is that they can't be since enantiomers are mirror images of one another and I can't imagine a situation in which two geometric isomers could be mirror images of one another. Hence, they are diastereomers which are, by definition, enantiomers that are not mirror images of one another.

Obviously the term meso compound is reserved for compounds that would otherwise be optically active so it doesn't apply here, right?

I thought stereochemistry referred to chiral centers and R and S configurations only? How can E-but-2-ene and Z-but-2-ene be considered diastereomers when neither has any chiral centers? I'm probably missing something simple here but I am just wondering :)

Edit: Alas, a quick Google search has shown me that cis/trans configurations also count as diastereomers!

Yep but another quick thing. The R and S absolute configuration only correlates to enantiomers, which (often) have chiral centers. You can also have chirality without chiral centers like in helicene, which has helical chirality. Enantiomers and diastereomers together fall under the umbrella of stereoisomers.

And meso compounds have chiral centers by definition, but not all diastereomers have chiral centers.

The thing about Meso compounds is that if there is a plane of symmetry AND there is at LEAST one chiral center, then it's going to be Meso. Additionally, meso compounds can ONLY be R/S or S/R, never S/S or R/R, which makes sense if you think about it since they have to have that plane of symmetry. S/S and R/R would be for enantiomers.

I'm a little bummed that orgo is only 20% of the MCAT. Not that I'm lacking in any other sciences, but I really get a whole lot of fun from doing any kind of orgo.

I'm slightly annoyed by the differing difficulties of passages in TBR

There were passages that I would finish in 2-3 minutes [seriously] and get all of the questions correct
Then there were passages that would take 10-11 minutes and i'd still get 3-4 wrong

The thing about Meso compounds is that if there is a plane of symmetry AND there is at LEAST one chiral center, then it's going to be Meso. Additionally, meso compounds can ONLY be R/S or S/R, never S/S or R/R, which makes sense if you think about it since they have to have that plane of symmetry. S/S and R/R would be for enantiomers.

I'm a little bummed that orgo is only 20% of the MCAT. Not that I'm lacking in any other sciences, but I really get a whole lot of fun from doing any kind of orgo.

Man you took the words right out of my mouth. It's my strongest subject, and one of the most interesting to me.

Pretty sure it needs to be at least two chiral centers in addition to the plane of symmetry. I realize that's sort of necessitated by the whole "symmetry" deal, but you can't have a meso compound with one chiral center.

Also, you can have meso compounds with more than two chiral centers. As another interesting note, a carbon can be a stereocenter without being a chiral center.

Is physics in Berkeley review hard for anyone else? It's pretty difficult for me. I thought Chem was fine. Was scoring in the 80s for each section. Physics has been tough though.

TBR physics passages are brutal. I hardly got 70s, my range was 55-80. But I a 13PS on the MCAT so don't worry too much about it.

I've been getting 50-60% on almost all of the subjects (except VR), and I'm already finishing up on Week 3 of the SN2ed schedule.

How long does it take to improve?! I'm afraid I might stay in this percentage range forever :scared:

I've been getting 50-60% on almost all of the subjects (except VR), and I'm already finishing up on Week 3 of the SN2ed schedule.

How long does it take to improve?! I'm afraid I might stay in this percentage range forever :scared:

Alot of the question in TBR merge more that one idea and force you to do mental gymnastics. On the actually mcat only the really hard question will make you do this. If it makes you feel better they are no easy questions in TBR only medium and hard.

Alot of the question in TBR merge more that one idea and force you to do mental gymnastics. On the actually mcat only the really hard question will make you do this. If it makes you feel better they are no easy questions in TBR only medium and hard.
If there is a medium question, it's probably just the first question of the first of 15 passages. lol

I definitely agree that TBR is way hard sometimes. Like the previous person, I also got worried. I went onto do some TPR bio, which I feel is more representative of the MCAT, and was scoring 7/8 in every passage. I think once you're scoring about 60-70% in BR, you're doing well. Anything above 70% and you're probably one of those that will get a 35+ on the actual test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Physics
1 - 91% (14) - 92% (14)
2 - 88% (14) - 86% (13)
3 - 91% (14)

General Chem
1 - 88% (13) - 91% (14)
2 - 84% (13)
3 - 84% (12)

Orgo Chem
1 - 54% (8) - 74% (11)
2 - 79% (12)

Biology
1 - 60% (9) - 60% (9)

Not much to say other than learn to trust my instincts. One answer just didn't feel right to me but I blindly used the formula anyway, turned out my gut was right.

One day I will hit that elusive 15. :p

OChem 1: 9
OChem 2: 9
Ochem 3: 11
Ochem 4: 8 or 9

Physics 1: 13
Physics 2: 10
Physics 3: 12
Physics 4: 10
Physcis 5: 9

GenChem 1: 10
GenChem 2: 12
GenChem 3: 11
GenChem 4: 10
GenChem 5: 12

EK Bio
1: 9
2: 8
3: 9
4: 10
5: 7
6: 10
7: 9
8: 12
9: 10

Kaplan Diagnostic Test #1: 25 (PS-7/ V-9/ BS-9)
6/11/13 AAMC #3: 29 (PS9/V11/BS9)

I'm realizing I cannot do 2 full sections of genchem and physics in one day along with taking the full tests after the sections, so from now on I will only be reading and doing the review set after each section...I may come back to finish the rest of the questions if I have time. I'm aiming to take my second AAMC prac test Jun 21. I should be fully done w content review by then...

Physics
1 - 91% (14) - 92% (14)
2 - 88% (14) - 86% (13)
3 - 91% (14)
4 - 88% (14)

General Chem
1 - 88% (13) - 91% (14)
2 - 84% (13)
3 - 84% (12)

Orgo Chem
1 - 54% (8) - 74% (11)
2 - 79% (12)

Biology
1 - 60% (9) - 60% (9)

The constant 14s are nice but still, just one 15 would be nicer :laugh:

You're doing great in physics, I got killed by the Fluids and Solids Section, got a 9.

Made me pissed lol.

As someone who didn't have that material in my physics courses, I think TBR's fluids and solids stuff is very lacking.

I didn't have any of that stuff in my course either. What do you mean by lacking? I wouldn't know what is sufficient enough because it was my first time learning about that material.

Physics
1 - 91% (14) - 92% (14)
2 - 88% (14) - 86% (13)
3 - 91% (14)
4 - 88% (14)

General Chem
1 - 88% (13) - 91% (14)
2 - 84% (13)
3 - 84% (12)

Orgo Chem
1 - 54% (8) - 74% (11)
2 - 79% (12)

Biology
1 - 60% (9) - 60% (9)

The constant 14s are nice but still, just one 15 would be nicer :laugh:

Physical sciences...teach us your ways

Hey guys, I have been doing TBR physical science section and have been scoring 8 on the first three physics and 11 on first gen chem section and 8 on the third one.

Have TBR been helping you guys with your full lengths?

Consensus seems to be that TBR PS prepares people very well for their full lengths and the MCAT.

Hey guys, I have been doing TBR physical science section and have been scoring 8 on the first three physics and 11 on first gen chem section and 8 on the third one.

Have TBR been helping you guys with your full lengths?

Physics:
S1: 71%, 62%
S2: 56%, 59%
S3: 69%, 64%
S4: 84%

G. Chem:
S1: 59%, 71%
S2: 70%, 69%
S3: 78%, 67%
S4: 72%

O. Chem:
S1: 87%, 83%
S2: 74%, 83%
S3: 84%
S4: 68%

Bio:
S1: 48%, 48%
S2: 67%, 68%
S3: 25%

Found this Orgo chapter to be quite weird. Definitely made dumb mistakes but there were a few questions that were a bit much I thought. Gchem is Gchem I suppose, trying to hit 80's but it's tough. Still behind schedule so got some catching up to do :)

3 weeks 'til test date. I've taken several AAMC FLs, but honestly feel they aren't representative of the difficulty of the real thing (I'm a retaker). I am lacking in PS (averaged 9-12 on practice AAMCs prior to my last test, scored an 8 on the real thing), hence I opted to go with TBR. I'm done with content, which was great and actually filled in some gaps, but I was somewhat undisciplined with doing all the practice questions at the end of each section.

My question to you fine folks: would I be better off going through all of those TBR end-of-section questions and taking 3ish AAMCs prior to the test day, or focus on taking the AAMCs and going back to supplement with TBR where I lack?

I know this is likely a biased group, and I'm leaning towards focusing on TBR, as their answer explanations are outstanding, but everyone I talk to regurgitates the same thing - take as many practice tests as possible.

Thoughts?

Physics
1 - 91% (14) - 92% (14)
2 - 88% (14) - 86% (13)
3 - 91% (14)
4 - 88% (14)

General Chem
1 - 88% (13) - 91% (14)
2 - 84% (13)
3 - 84% (12)

Orgo Chem
1 - 54% (8) - 74% (11)
2 - 79% (12)

Biology
1 - 60% (9) - 60% (9)
2 - 72% (11)

I've been avoiding bio because it takes me the longest out of the subjects to learn a chapter and at the end I feel like I can't recite everything but would be able to pick it out on a multiple-choice question. Not sure if that's good enough.

TBR continues to destroy me for bio. Curiously enough, I got exactly 2 questions wrong on all 8 passages I had done regardless of how many questions the passage had. More often than not, it was the first 2, maybe it's a psychological thing. Nice to see the improvement from the first chapter and I think the scores might go up a little more since I'm a physiology major.

Is the E and M section VIII supposed to be difficult. I'm doing the 25 pretest questions and they are tough.

Physics
1 - 91% (14) - 92% (14)
2 - 88% (14) - 86% (13)
3 - 91% (14)
4 - 88% (14)

General Chem
1 - 88% (13) - 91% (14)
2 - 84% (13)
3 - 84% (12)
4 - 80% (12)

Orgo Chem
1 - 54% (8) - 74% (11)
2 - 79% (12)

Biology
1 - 60% (9) - 60% (9)
2 - 72% (11)

I hated this chapter, absolutely hated it. Acids and bases just don't click for me whether it's orgo or gen chem. I'm amazed I didn't do worse but there was quite a bit of guessing going on.

Physics
1 - 91% (14) - 92% (14)
2 - 88% (14) - 86% (13)
3 - 91% (14)
4 - 88% (14)

General Chem
1 - 88% (13) - 91% (14)
2 - 84% (13)
3 - 84% (12)
4 - 80% (12)

Orgo Chem
1 - 54% (8) - 74% (11)
2 - 79% (12)

Biology
1 - 60% (9) - 60% (9)
2 - 72% (11)

I hated this chapter, absolutely hated it. Acids and bases just don't click for me whether it's orgo or gen chem. I'm amazed I didn't do worse but there was quite a bit of guessing going on.

Cool story, bro.

I've noticed so far that aamc practice tests have much more general concept questions than BR...for example yesterday i took aamc 4 and the question was something like: which of the following combos would have the the highest pH in solution (they give strong/weak acids in combo with stong/weak bases). In BR they would have given you concentrations, very similar compounds, and made it semi math intensive...maybe I'll eat my words later but it seems like BR is much more intensive in some regards...Sarvish, yes, I agree the acid/base and titration chapters were tough and overkill, but I feel like I understand them much better now (and I solved the above question using mental images of titration curves).

MTHFR: this is a support group...if you don't have anything productive to post then go away

Meh, I thought the point of this thread was to post scores. I wouldn't call that obsessing.

Well the title has "scores" in it - definitely. I'm not attacking you for it, it's just not my preference. I just don't think too much is to be gained from it, but that's just me.

I'm realizing I cannot do 2 full sections of genchem and physics in one day along with taking the full tests after the sections, so from now on I will only be reading and doing the review set after each section...I may come back to finish the rest of the questions if I have time. I'm aiming to take my second AAMC prac test Jun 21. I should be fully done w content review by then...

OChem 1: 9
OChem 2: 9
Ochem 3: 11
Ochem 4: 8 or 9

Physics 1: 13
Physics 2: 10
Physics 3: 12
Physics 4: 10
Physcis 5: 9

GenChem 1: 10
GenChem 2: 12
GenChem 3: 11
GenChem 4: 10
GenChem 5: 12

EK Bio 1: 9 2: 8 3: 9 4: 10 5: 7 6: 10 7: 9 8: 12 9: 10

Kaplan Diagnostic Test #1: 25 (PS-7/ V-9/ BS-9)
6/11/13 AAMC #3: 29 (PS9/V11/BS9)
6/21/13: AAMC#4: 32 (PS10/V12/BS10)...BR is money for PS..but I think this test had easy questions compared to anything I've seen so far and maybe I was just tested on stuff I knew...but I was much more comfortable on PS...
-Aiming for next FL in 3 days...I've finished reading through all of BR GenChem and Physics and like I said earlier, I wasn't able to go through the end of section problems for these 2nd set of books, but at least seeing everything once sparked my memory and was a good start for building

I've noticed so far that aamc practice tests have much more general concept questions than BR...for example yesterday i took aamc 4 and the question was something like: which of the following combos would have the the highest pH in solution (they give strong/weak acids in combo with stong/weak bases). In BR they would have given you concentrations, very similar compounds, and made it semi math intensive...maybe I'll eat my words later but it seems like BR is much more intensive in some regards...Sarvish, yes, I agree the acid/base and titration chapters were tough and overkill, but I feel like I understand them much better now (and I solved the above question using mental images of titration curves).

MTHFR: this is a support group...if you don't have anything productive to post then go away

You're right, it just felt so good to say. I'm sorry. I know it's wrong. Now that it's been said, I can get back to making sure I support the hell out of you guys. Like, so much damn support, you guys. #TeamSupport #Support4Lyfe

Can someone please explain this whole phase thing to me in TBR? I keep seeing it everywhere but I have no idea how to divide the 15 passages up and the purpose of that

Edit: nvm I figured it out

Last edited:
Anyone else getting absolutely destroyed by BR Bio?

I've been using SN2ed's method of reading EK Bio, but doing passages in BR Bio. I'm finding that a lot of the questions tailor to specific facts or graphs from the BR section. Needless to say, some passages align incredibly well with EK Bio and others don't. I'll go from getting 8/8 on a passage to 2/6. Average from Sections 7&8 (enzyme kinetics/cellular respiration): 67%

Also having a hard time know what to actually review in the BR Bio passages. All the other BR (GenChem, OChem, and Physics) seem to make a good deal of sense, but the Bio passages always seem so convoluted. idk if that's because I'm using EK Bio as content review or if the passages are just straight up tough.

Anyone using BR Bio for content review finding the passages incredibly difficult? For instance Section 8 Passage 2. There's i no way in hell I was finishing the passage in under 10 minutes.

Anyone else getting absolutely destroyed by BR Bio?

I've been using SN2ed's method of reading EK Bio, but doing passages in BR Bio. I'm finding that a lot of the questions tailor to specific facts or graphs from the BR section. Needless to say, some passages align incredibly well with EK Bio and others don't. I'll go from getting 8/8 on a passage to 2/6. Average from Sections 7&8 (enzyme kinetics/cellular respiration): 67%

Also having a hard time know what to actually review in the BR Bio passages. All the other BR (GenChem, OChem, and Physics) seem to make a good deal of sense, but the Bio passages always seem so convoluted. idk if that's because I'm using EK Bio as content review or if the passages are just straight up tough.

Anyone using BR Bio for content review finding the passages incredibly difficult? For instance Section 8 Passage 2. There's i no way in hell I was finishing the passage in under 10 minutes.

YES! BR Bio is much harder for me, and I was pretty shocked initially because I am a bio major as well. However, the EK passages are much easier than the BR passages.

I got my MCAT score this week and I'll relate it to Berkeley Review:

It's been 6 years since I took general chemistry and a 5 years since I had general physics. I used Berkeley exclusively for both of these subjects for content review and quizzing. In the end I felt like they were sufficient review and the difficulty of the questions were similar when I got the real test. I made a 10 on the PS for the real thing so not extraordinary but considering I squeezed all this content review into 2 months I'm happy with it. I did NOT use Berkeley for biology and made a 9. Since I never took any biology all of my study was content and I didn't have any practice questions. I feel like if I had had BR for bio I would have done better.

I don't mind answering any questions if anyone has them either so feel free to ask. Anyway hope this helps somewhat. Stick to a schedule and be honest with yourself when you "study" but spend half the time on the web!

It's been 6 years since I took general chemistry and a 5 years since I had general physics. I used Berkeley exclusively for both of these subjects for content review and quizzing. In the end I felt like they were sufficient review and the difficulty of the questions were similar when I got the real test. I made a 10 on the PS for the real thing so not extraordinary but considering I squeezed all this content review into 2 months I'm happy with it. I did NOT use Berkeley for biology and made a 9. Since I never took any biology all of my study was content and I didn't have any practice questions. I feel like if I had had BR for bio I would have done better.

I don't mind answering any questions if anyone has them either so feel free to ask. Anyway hope this helps somewhat. Stick to a schedule and be honest with yourself when you "study" but spend half the time on the web!

Did you use BR for verbal?

Thanks for this post. I just finished reviewing physical sciences using BR and have noticed that the questions on the practice AAMC exams for PS are generally easier (and less math intensive) than the questions at the end of BR physical science chapters. Is this misleading/ is the real MCAT PS section harder? I've heard from recent test takers that the PS sections have been harder than the AAMC practice MCAT exams.

Fair warning for anyone using BR Bio:
Skip Section 8 Passage 5. It is utterly useless.

I spent the first 8 minutes under timed conditions scrambling to understand the entire Calvin-Benson Cycle during the passage while trying to decipher what the structure of 6 of the intermediates were, just to answer the first question of the passage. Not only is the Calvin-Benson Cycle not tested on the MCATs, the only 2 potentially beneficial questions from the passage were: 1) following radioactive marking of a compound through a cycle/identifying what kind of enzyme is responsible for each change through the cycle, and 2) being able to apply an experiment to a bloody difficult topic that you probably didn't know from content review (ya know, since it's not relevant content to begin with). Hands down a low-yield passage through and through.

Otherwise, I ended up wasting 17 minutes to take the passage only to get all 6 questions wrong. Followed by another 15 minutes reviewing how I could even remotely improve. My review notes: if some random **** passage hits you like a ton of bricks in the middle of BS; don't get hung up. Narrow it down to 2 and take the most educated guesses you can.