BERKELEY REVIEW scores/discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capn jazz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just like the EK Verbal 101 thread, this is a thread to talk about how you're doing with the TBR passages. I don't know how people are generally going through these, but I'm doing Phase I and II after reading the chapter, and saving Phase III for after I finish all content review.

I'm currently working on Gen Chem.

Chapter 1:
Phase I: 27/41 = 66% = 10
Phase II: 10/20 = 50% = 8 (ouch!)

Chapter 2:
Phase I: 29/37 = 78% = 11
Phase II: 28/33 = 85% = 13

So far I LOVE the book. I hated Gen Chem and I'm enjoying reading this and I really feel like it's helping me grasp the topics. Hopefully future chapters will continue this trend...

Now it's up to you guys! Keep this thread alive!

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh, just finished BR 3. I usually finish the BS with like 20 minutes to spare, but this time, I ended up needing the last second, literally. Verbal - I didn't think it was any worse than the other FL's, but apparently it was :( I missed 14, eep. So, I got 26 correct and ended with a 9. I've gotten 10-11 on the other BR FL's I've done so far :-/

Does anyone know if BR FL average scores correspond to the real deal at all? I know the AAMC averages are pretty accurate, but how about TBR ones? I can only hope that my real score on the actual test will be higher than what I'm getting now on the TBR's... :xf:

I usually finish PS with 10 minutes, and BS with 12-15min, depending of the difficulty. VR, on the other hand, is a nightmare for me. I have to struggle with the last passage, cramming it in 4 minutes. I'll be taking BR 4 tomorrow and will post how it goes.

I usually finish PS with 10 minutes, and BS with 12-15min, depending of the difficulty. VR, on the other hand, is a nightmare for me. I have to struggle with the last passage, cramming it in 4 minutes. I'll be taking BR 4 tomorrow and will post how it goes.

Here is the latest version I have of the curve.

View attachment TBR CBT Exam 1-9 Scales.pdf

I'm still confused where the phases are listed. I read through the introduction pages in all of the BR books I have, and couldn't find the phases anywhere. Are there two sets of books?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still confused where the phases are listed. I read through the introduction pages in all of the BR books I have, and couldn't find the phases anywhere. Are there two sets of books?

I believe the "phases" are only in the orgo and gen chem books (at least in the editions I have, which are a little aged). The practice passages at the end of each chapter are broken down into three parts, one for you to do immediately after learning, another part to be done within a week or so, and the last one to be done as review later on (example: do passages I-III, V, IX immediately after reading the chapter and go over immediately; do passages IV, VI-VIII within the next few days with strict timing; etc). This is as opposed to, like physics (in my edition, I think they might have changed this), they just tell me: 70 questions, passages I-X, 90 minutes, go.

I don't know if "phases" is really the official term, haha, at least I've never heard of that until I came to this thread.

Just finished TBR exam 4 and I was manhandled on every section.

This is so depressing. :(:(:(

I think i'm getting dumber by the test.

Just finished TBR exam 4 and I was manhandled on every section.

This is so depressing. :(:(:(

I think i'm getting dumber by the test.

oh my GOODNESS we are on the same page. if the actual exam is anything like these full lengths i am royally screwed. my confidence just went out the window.

How are your TBR scores comparing to the AAMC ones? I can't really compare since I took the AAMC tests last time I studied - so I'm afraid my AAMC scores will be inflated

My TBR ones are jumping all over the place... can't get consistent scores on any of the sections.. took TBR 1-4 so far and am taking 5 day after tomorrow

How are your TBR scores comparing to the AAMC ones? I can't really compare since I took the AAMC tests last time I studied - so I'm afraid my AAMC scores will be inflated

My TBR ones are jumping all over the place... can't get consistent scores on any of the sections.. took TBR 1-4 so far and am taking 5 day after tomorrow

how'd you do on 1-4..cause i'm straight up sucking.

Someone in a different thread (I think) told me that between the AAMC vs. TBR FL scores: roughly add a point or two to your TBR PS score; roughly take away a point from your TBR Verbal score; roughly add a point to your TBR BS score (or I may have flipped the PS and the BS "conversion").

I don't know how I personally feel about that now though. I'm actually doing quite terribly in TBR verbal (such lengthy passages and out-there questions), and frankly I've done better in the AAMC verbals (not the other way around).

BTW, just got kicked in the butt with TBR FL #4 verbal. Really. I have no idea what was going on in most of the passages. A passage from Shakespeare? Bleh.

Also, to BerkReviewTech, the score conversion file I got from TBR is slightly different from what you have... (I got a word file). But given that you have the score conversion to 9 exams (as opposed to the 7 exams available for purchase in the Home Study version, which is what I have), I'm starting to wonder if you're referring to some other set of FL exams...?

Someone in a different thread (I think) told me that between the AAMC vs. TBR FL scores: roughly add a point or two to your TBR PS score; roughly take away a point from your TBR Verbal score; roughly add a point to your TBR BS score (or I may have flipped the PS and the BS "conversion").

I don't know how I personally feel about that now though. I'm actually doing quite terribly in TBR verbal (such lengthy passages and out-there questions), and frankly I've done better in the AAMC verbals (not the other way around).

BTW, just got kicked in the butt with TBR FL #4 verbal. Really. I have no idea what was going on in most of the passages. A passage from Shakespeare? Bleh.

Also, to BerkReviewTech, the score conversion file I got from TBR is slightly different from what you have... (I got a word file). But given that you have the score conversion to 9 exams (as opposed to the 7 exams available for purchase in the Home Study version, which is what I have), I'm starting to wonder if you're referring to some other set of FL exams...?

yea...that 1 or 2 point thing isn't going to do me much good. See, my most recent full length was soooo bad, that adding 1 or 2 points would be like taking a piss in the Pacificc!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh. Just took a tally of all my FL scores so far. Without actually saying the score, here is the trend, listed by date taken (though I did very little content review in after BR#7):

BR #1: X
BR #5: X-7 (... ouch)
BR #7: X (phew...?)
BR #2: X-1
BR #3: X-2
AAMC #9: X
BR #4: X-2 (this was yesterday. but i took it after a 9-hr work day :-/)

So I don't seem to be improving in particular, really, which makes me sad. Test is next Saturday :( I still have BR #6 to work through, as well as AAMC #7, 8, and 10. Hopefully I can get a couple with X+ scores. Rawr.

how'd you do on 1-4..cause i'm straight up sucking.

TBR #1 was a 30 and then after that my total score stayed about the same but the individual sections are fluctuating (btwn 8 and 11/12) ... For TBR #4, I got an 8 in both phys sci and bio.. and couldn't even get through the verbal.

I also have a different score conversion chart - meant for 7 exams instead of 9 and it's on a word file.. so I'm thinking I may have different exams as well

Has anyone done FL #6? I thought it was easier than all the other ones (unless I'm just improving... wishful thinking :)). Verbal passages seemed sooooo much less obscure (or at least the questions were), and a lot of the science questions were kinda like, really...?

I'm confused by my TBR score conversion chart... in the e-mail it said TBR #1 is an easier, introductory exam compared to the rest - but the curve is harsher for TBR 5, for example, than the one for TBR 1, and I definitely think that the TBR #5 PS section is the hardest one so far that I've encountered..

For TBR #1 I got 29/52 which gave me an 8, and for TBR #5 I got 30/52 and got a 6 :(

O well.. I'm going to try to not focus on my scaled scores so much

does anyone know if we can buy BR books in person at one of their offices? please pm me with info. thanks in advance.

I want to join in on the commiseration! Second time taking the test, so I'm focusing solely on TBR in fear of inflating my AAMC scores. These tests are tough, to say the least, and I'm praying for more improvement! I've taken 1-4 so far.

how'd you like VR on #4? thoroughly invigorating, no? especially that first passage about the planets, ah- completely mentally stimulating.

no really, it sucked.

yeah. about that. was that the one where they also quoted a shakespeare passage? jeebus.

I actually didn't mind the Shakespeare passage. It was short and I didn't bother reading it because I knew I would be starring at it at the end like wtf is this. I actually did well on that passage. The Mars passage really screwed me. I think I got 1/2 right. I also didn't like the one about ancient tombs or w/e it was about. I had 3 minutes to do the last passage and I nailed it..i'm proud of myself for doing one thing right on this section (I also like sports).

I'm confused by my TBR score conversion chart... in the e-mail it said TBR #1 is an easier, introductory exam compared to the rest - but the curve is harsher for TBR 5, for example, than the one for TBR 1, and I definitely think that the TBR #5 PS section is the hardest one so far that I've encountered..

For TBR #1 I got 29/52 which gave me an 8, and for TBR #5 I got 30/52 and got a 6 :(

O well.. I'm going to try to not focus on my scaled scores so much

That scaled score for 5 has to be a typo. And the PS section of exam 1 isn't necessarily easy, as I would venture to say it's challenging. The verbal on 1 is the easiest of the BR verbals.

i got my ass handed to me by the physical science and the verbal on CBT #5. :eek:

Finished TBR 5 a few minutes ago.

PS: The second passage handed it to me. Also, the passage on the electroylitic cell. I'm usually good at these, but i had no clue wtf the passage/table was saying. 8

VR: I felt confident completing this section. For once i actually understood all seven passages. 11

BS: I finished with 20 minutes, feeling fairly confident. I don't know what happened though...8 (I usually score 11's)

Overall, I'm happy about VR but my sciences are still weak when it comes to comprehending experiments. I think I may need to slow down.

I am really confused by the home study exams...there is no consistency at all. I had much more consistent results when I do the AAMCs.

AAMC average: 34-35

Berkeley Review HS Exam #2 - 36 (11/12/13)
BR HS Exam 3 - 31 (10/10/11)
BR HS Exam 4 - 24 (9/8/7) (???!!!???)

Is anyone showing this much variation? Because I think this is kind of wack.

Last edited:
I have a question on TBR exam 5, PS question 20. SPOILER ALERT!!!

Which of the following equations accurately describes the torque on the loop in a generator? N is the number of turns in the wire coil, i is the current, A is the area of the loop, and ? is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal axis to the loop.

The part of the explanation that I don't understand is "The greater the area of the coil, the greater the torque, so the A (area) should be in the numerator."

can someone explain me how the area of the coil is related to the strength of the torque.

Which of the following equations accurately describes the torque on the loop in a generator? N is the number of turns in the wire coil, i is the current, A is the area of the loop, and ? is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal axis to the loop.

The part of the explanation that I don't understand is "The greater the area of the coil, the greater the torque, so the A (area) should be in the numerator."

can someone explain me how the area of the coil is related to the strength of the torque.

good call. when i was reading that explanation i was thinking..huh?

The torque is ultimately being caused by the magnetic force, so anything that increases the magnetic force will increase the torque. The magnetic force is caused by a change in the magnetic flux (which is the magnetic field within the loop that is perpendicular to the plane of the loops). The area of the loop dictates the amount of magnetic flux, because a bigger loop has a great amount of magnetic field inside. This means that a bigger loop will experience a greater change in magnetic field when it spins.

Please let me know if this makes sense, because flux can be a bit difficult to wrap your head around.

The torque is ultimately being caused by the magnetic force, so anything that increases the magnetic force will increase the torque. The magnetic force is caused by a change in the magnetic flux (which is the magnetic field within the loop that is perpendicular to the plane of the loops). The area of the loop dictates the amount of magnetic flux, because a bigger loop has a great amount of magnetic field inside. This means that a bigger loop will experience a greater change in magnetic field when it spins.

Please let me know if this makes sense, because flux can be a bit difficult to wrap your head around.

I sort of felt this had to do with flux...i remember learning about it physics 2 (so many nostalgic memories in that class...NOT). Your explanation makes sense, but I'm going to have to crack open a book if I want to wrap my hand around this.

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

Quick question:

How do you calculate your scaled score for each phase? BR only provides a scale for the total number of questions for each chapter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I just took AAMC 10, I got a 37 (13/12/12).

I still don't understand why I got a 24 on BR 4, lol. I guess the real benefit of BR is that the exams are so difficult that when you see the AAMCs it looks really simple...lol.

I just took AAMC 10, I got a 37 (13/12/12).

I still don't understand why I got a 24 on BR 4, lol. I guess the real benefit of BR is that the exams are so difficult that when you see the AAMCs it looks really simple...lol.

Did you take BR 5? what was your breakdown?

Sorry I have to vent, but does anybody else feel that certain TBR Physics section passages are extremely difficult? I am scoring an average about 12's on the G.Chem books but like 9 or less on Physics without timing. The answer explanations are not nearly as clear or thorough as the G.Chem books. (IMO. The G.Chem author seems so much more in tuned to the real MCAT passages than the Physics book author). Perhaps it's just me but I am feeling so dumb after some of these passages. I'm thinking about ditching it for TPR Hyperlearning passages instead.

When r u taking the MCAT? I feel the same way, but my mcat is in 2 months and Ive got no time to ditch. By the way, I'm just starting TBR. I'm reviewing 1st month and practicing FLs the next.

When r u taking the MCAT? I feel the same way, but my mcat is in 2 months and Ive got no time to ditch. By the way, I'm just starting TBR. I'm reviewing 1st month and practicing FLs the next.

I'm testing the 21st of May. I am am close to finishing my content review. I started with TPR & Nova Physics. I had TBR Gen Chem and loved it. So I decided to pick up TBR Physics for the purpose of practice passages. I've been getting creamed on certain passages. If you gave me an hour I'd still be lost on some of them. I did reasonably well in both Nova and TPR passages. The TBR Physics passages are really slowing my progress and I want to start practice tests soon. At the same time, I don't want to give up on them.. Are you testing the 27th? How do you plan to do better?

puravida85 said:
I'm testing the 21st of May. I am am close to finishing my content review. I started with TPR & Nova Physics. I had TBR Gen Chem and loved it. So I decided to pick up TBR Physics for the purpose of practice passages. I've been getting creamed on certain passages. If you gave me an hour I'd still be lost on some of them. I did reasonably well in both Nova and TPR passages. The TBR Physics passages are really slowing my progress and I want to start practice tests soon. At the same time, I don't want to give up on them.. Are you testing the 27th? How do you plan to do better?
I am taking the 27th. I hope to finish review for the 1st time with TBR on 4/27th (I've tried kaplan/EK but gave up on them). Allowing for a month of review. If needed I may push back to next available exam date if I'm not prepared.

ohhhh my goodness. TBR 5 was basically an exercise in: "now what would you do if, on test day, you got the MCAT from hell. now...go!"

PS- brutal. curve was extremely kind.
Verbal and BS- i think i was just so thrown off by PS that i further resolved to kick their asses and try my best. still really hard, but i somewhat recovered during these sections.

all in all, even though it was brutal, i definitely appreciate the practice. you never really know what to expect on test day and i guess the kick in the pants is helpful practice.

can someone explain this from test #2? i don't understand why having a full bladder would decrease the amount of waves reflected. is this just a property of density differences between 2 different materials at a boundary?

In using ultrasound to monitor fetal development, the BEST images are achieved when the expectant mother's bladder is:

A. empty, so that fewer waves are reflected by the bladder
B. full, so that more waves are reflected by the bladder
C.
full, so that fewer waves are reflected by the bladder
C is the best answer. In the last paragraph of the passage we are told how ultrasound is able to distinguish between different tissues and organs. Ultrasound therefore can be used to monitor fetal development. Eliminate choice D. Ultrasound waves must pass through the mother's bladder to get to the fetus, if we are to make a clear image of the growing baby. So ideally, we want as few waves as possible to be reflected by the bladder. Therefore, eliminate choice B. Human soft tissue (like that making up a woman's bladder and uterus) and water have very nearly the same density. Filling the bladder with water prior to doing an ultrasound scan prevents most of the waves from being reflected at the boundaries of the bladder, so eliminate choice A. The majority of the wave energy then penetrates the mother's bladder and her uterus, and then bounces off the bone and cartilage of the fetus. The best answer is C.
D.
empty, so that more waves are reflected by the bladder

can someone explain this from test #2? i don't understand why having a full bladder would decrease the amount of waves reflected. is this just a property of density differences between 2 different materials at a boundary?

In using ultrasound to monitor fetal development, the BEST images are achieved when the expectant mother's bladder is:

A. empty, so that fewer waves are reflected by the bladder
B. full, so that more waves are reflected by the bladder
C.
full, so that fewer waves are reflected by the bladder
C is the best answer. In the last paragraph of the passage we are told how ultrasound is able to distinguish between different tissues and organs. Ultrasound therefore can be used to monitor fetal development. Eliminate choice D. Ultrasound waves must pass through the mother's bladder to get to the fetus, if we are to make a clear image of the growing baby. So ideally, we want as few waves as possible to be reflected by the bladder. Therefore, eliminate choice B. Human soft tissue (like that making up a woman's bladder and uterus) and water have very nearly the same density. Filling the bladder with water prior to doing an ultrasound scan prevents most of the waves from being reflected at the boundaries of the bladder, so eliminate choice A. The majority of the wave energy then penetrates the mother's bladder and her uterus, and then bounces off the bone and cartilage of the fetus. The best answer is C.
D.
empty, so that more waves are reflected by the bladder

When sound runs into any kind of surface barrier the more alike the two density the less sound will be reflected and the more will be refracted and vice versa. This is just one of those properties of sound you need to remember. Simply put the more different the two densities are the more sound is gonna bounce and in this case we do not want any sound to bounce out before it gets to the baby so we want the bladder to be full.

And I have a question of my own. I got 35 on the first FL even though I was sluggish at physical science which is my strongest area (got a 9). Did anyone else find the first BR FL too easy and not a representative of the real test? Thanks for any input.

When sound runs into any kind of surface barrier the more alike the two density the less sound will be reflected and the more will be refracted and vice versa. This is just one of those properties of sound you need to remember. Simply put the more different the two densities are the more sound is gonna bounce and in this case we do not want any sound to bounce out before it gets to the baby so we want the bladder to be full.

And I have a question of my own. I got 35 on the first FL even though I was sluggish at physical science which is my strongest area (got a 9). Did anyone else find the first BR FL too easy and not a representative of the real test? Thanks for any input.

From what I've heard they get progressively harder. That's a good score. However, expect to get challenged on the later ones.