Berkeley Review vs. EK for Biology Content 2015 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strawbarii

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone who has taken the 2015 MCAT have any thoughts on how prepared you were for the Bio section using EK vs Berkeley Review? My initial feeling is that the Berkeley Review is too detailed while EK is too vague. I am loving Berkeley so far for the Chemistry and Physics.

Trying to decide which book to make my primary study tool for Biology.

Members don't see this ad.

TBR's best books are their Bio books IMO, though I used EK. It's really up to you which ones you want to use as your primary resource.

Anyone who has taken the 2015 MCAT have any thoughts on how prepared you were for the Bio section using EK vs Berkeley Review? My initial feeling is that the Berkeley Review is too detailed while EK is too vague. I am loving Berkeley so far for the Chemistry and Physics.

Trying to decide which book to make my primary study tool for Biology.

I am very grateful to read how useful the physics books and chemistry books were to you. It's always nice to read comments from general users. In class feedback has been great, but that's because the lecture course ties in with the books nicely, so it's biased feedback. A great deal of work went into those books to make sure they cover material and present many different ways to look at it (through the questions). But the anxiety and uncertainty of 2015 has put many people into a state of concern where they look for a 2015 label to gain a sense of security more than they evaluate the utility of the content. Thanks for sticking with the books despite the lack of a "2015" label on them.

The truth of the matter is that the test has not changed much in the chemistry and physics areas, so what was good last year is still good this year. That will change over the next few years as the MCAT morphs into its new format, but the change will be gradual. And truth be told, little by little, starting back in 2012, we have made minor changes with each printing of the physics and chemistry books to build towards 2015. We knew our books would work just fine for 2015, so we waited until after the April 2015 exam to go at it in ernest. So the last few months have been spent retooling the books, adding some more testing tips, removing some text, and changing about half of the passages. But overall, they will keep the same feel by emphasizing material in a thinking and testing format.

As for your biology question, there have been many posts supporting both books you mentioned, where it came down to stylistic preference. You can't go wrong either way, so choose the one that fits your personality. The SN2ed mix-and-match plan has been very popular for that reason.