Berkley Review example problem 9.5B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pineappletree

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What in the heck is going on?

I have absolutely no idea how the answer is C...

Please please, someone explain this to me...

Members don't see this ad.

9.5b: If you find equivalent resistance, you get that the potential difference for the circuit is 12V. Now using the loop rule you know that the current going into the loop is going to equal the current going out of the loop. The current will be distributed to each resistor in opposite ratios to their resistances. Since the ratio is 2:1 (R1+R2:R3) you can say that 6 amps will be split in a 1:2 fashion so R3 will get 4 amps and R1+R2 will get 2amps. From that you can choose choice C since thats the only one with 4 amps. On the MCAT if you find part of the choice and its the only one with that has it thats the right answer. Don't waste time and move on.

Hope this helped

Thank you!!

I know it is a simple problem, but it's been over 4 years since I've taken physics and the book doesn't explain how current is split proportionally in the junction rule (I didn't think to use the equations, my bad)

Its cool man. I got tripped up on those problems myself. Physics is my weakest subject but I'm glad I got BR physics because I feel like I really understand it now.

Keep chuggin!