Bertolotti Syndrome interventional options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

specepic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bertolotti Syndrome interventional options?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you all say RF the joint how exactly are you doing that?

Reactions: 1 user
RF the L4 median branch, the L5 dorsal ramus.

look at the pseudoarticulation itself. the couple of cases i did, i put a 3rd needle at the superior aspect of the pseudoarticulation (which admittedly is probably is coming from L4 median branch).

i billed for the single level RFA.

look at the pseudoarticulation itself. the couple of cases i did, i put a 3rd needle at the superior aspect of the pseudoarticulation (which admittedly is probably is coming from L4 median branch).

I have done same and then essentially a bipolar lesion for what looks most like a normal S1 lateral branch target directly below the transitional segment.

Documented and billed as 2 level facets

Results have been mixed, unpredictable, but small n

Most typically the pseudo articulation is a red herring in my experience

This above. I’ve had really good success for both steroid injections and RFAs.

1705283463147.png

Case report of it.

Recent review without much better to suggest

Reactions: 2 users
View attachment 381015

Case report of it.

Recent review without much better to suggest
thank you for the articles. I was trying to come up with a rationale for ablating around the pseudoarticulation. there's not much explanation in the case report except below

"This case suggests that: lumbosacral junction pseudarticulation can contribute to low back pain syndromes; thepseudarticulation may be posteriorly innervated; RFsensory ablation may be a successful minimally invasivepain management option in refractory cases; and furtherinvestigation of this technique is warranted."

it was more of a speculative attempt. maybe we are ablating the terminal nerve endings.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
i ablate the area around the pseudoarticulation with the thought that ablating those small branches would reduce pain transmission.

i dont have time to find the post, but i remember a forum member posting about ablating up and down a lumbar facet joint (sounded like a field block) as way to treat facet arthropathy.