Best Advice For First Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bulliedinschool2doc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just started OMS-1 yesterday and I am very excited. I can't lie, I am now amongst people very similar in personality to myself and they are always on top of things. Do you have any recommendations for how to thrive the first year?
My study strategy; download Anki decks from prior classes/anking and supplement them with my own decks.

I feel very blah these days. I go to the gym in the morning. How do/did y'all adjust?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Just started OMS-1 yesterday and I am very excited. I can't lie, I am now amongst people very similar in personality to myself and they are always on top of things. Do you have any recommendations for how to thrive the first year?
My study strategy; download Anki decks from prior classes/anking and supplement them with my own decks.

I feel very blah these days. I go to the gym in the morning but I am not too crazy about my living situation. they are very social and always hanging out but I do not like doing that, but I don't want to seem aloof. How do/did y'all adjust?

Thank you!
Run your own race. Everyone is smart in med school, but some are super smart. My wife went to class to socialize. I had to take a lunch pail approach, 6 to 8 hrs of studying a day and on weekends to be successful. So just do you and don't worry about how others study. You will also discover the best learning style for you.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Just be friendly and amicable, don't force anything, these are your peers but sadly people will do anything to get ahead of you. Remember why you're there. Get your **** done and be organized, be sustainable, don't burn out too quickly by going hard. Your study plan is totally fine. Admin is not your friend. Look to upper classmen for advice, not faculty.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you wanna gun, be a covert gunner. Your peers will secretly hate you behind your back if you are an overt gunner.

Reactions: 5 users

I feel very blah these days. I go to the gym in the morning but I am not too crazy about my living situation. they are very social and always hanging out but I do not like doing that, but I don't want to seem aloof. How do/did y'all adjust?

Thank you!
Read this:

Reactions: 2 users
@Goro I know it is early, but the best thing I can do to prepare for matching at this point in time is to do well in my classes, correct? I have joined some campus clubs/interest groups but how can I stay ahead when trying to best prepare myself for matching into a specialty? Any advice?

If you wanna gun, be a covert gunner. Your peers will secretly hate you behind your back if you are an overt gunner.
Trying hard shouldn't be considered gunning. IMO gunners are those who deliberately **** other people over.

• Hmm
The overt gunners at my school weren't that malicious. They however at the very 1st day of class orientation and beyond were already talking about how much Anki cards they were already doing per day, how many attendings they were already in contact with to get research, etc...

What you're doing now is good. Best advice will come from the students 1-3 years ahead who made it through. Also consider what you want for the future. How much **** are you willing to tolerate? If you want FM don't take boards review advice from a gunner going for surgical subspecialty. There is a difference in strategy and QOL if you are aiming to comfortably pass and be average versus gunning for top 10%.

The overt gunners at my school weren't that malicious. They however at the very 1st day of class orientation and beyond were already talking about how much Anki cards they were already doing per day, how many attendings they were already in contact with to get research, etc...
That's not a gunner. There is a definition of gunner derived from law school lore.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
What you're doing now is good. Best advice will come from the students 1-3 years ahead who made it through. Also consider what you want for the future. How much **** are you willing to tolerate? If you want FM don't take boards review advice from a gunner going for surgical subspecialty. There is a difference in strategy and QOL if you are aiming to comfortably pass and be average versus gunning for top 10%.
I think I am going to try my hardest and be happy with the results. I am thinking EM or a surgery field, but I will see what my boards/ rotations set me up for. I am confident in myself, but I know this isn't easy. I was a "gunner" in undergrad but simply because I was highly competitive-I never sabotaged.

Don't study 6-8 hours a day. Study 12-16 hours a day. Sleep on the couch. Replace all food with shakes. Don't take showers.
Sleep in a sleeping bag anywhere on campus whenever and whever you're tired, you laydown and sleep whereever you are, even if it's a concrete floor. Study with the goal of thinking so hard that you rupture an aneurysm.

Then and only then will you achieve a B-

update 09182022: If girl ask you out, say no- i gotta study. If friends say come lets party- say, you not friends anymore. I gotta study

Last edited:
  • Haha
Scored in the Upper Quartile on my first exam (Anatomy). Thank you everyone for the input.

Trying hard shouldn't be considered gunning. IMO gunners are those who deliberately **** other people over.
Sadly working hard to try to be a good doctor can be considered gunning. I remember in med school people would shame others if they stayed after 7. If somebody doesn't feel comfortable about material and wants to read more then let them.