Best assessment tool for assessing pain reduction after starting Low Dose Naltrexone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leecheater

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Evening. I have been a frequent lurker on this forum for several years. I appreciate what you all do and tip my hat in respect. I am a physician assistant who works at an Interventional pain clinic for the past 10 years. I enjoy the daily challenges this position brings.

After attending a workshop last fall that had a section about using Low Dose Naltrexone in patients with CRPS, neuropathy, fibromyalgia and Crohn's disease, I was skeptical to say the least about prescribing LDN to any patient. But along came a few with no pain reduction despite the gamete of physical therapy, chiropractic, multiple medications and pain procedures, pain psychology, so i figured why not try it as it is regarded as a safe medication with a much better side effect profile than so many others. The cost is about $50 for a 3 month supply so most can afford it.

I now have approximately 40 patients on LDN or Ultra LDN. I would say 70% have had definite improvement of their pain, some with unbelievable results. CRPS symptoms gone, all over body pain improved, neuropathy pain significantly improved, some say panic attacks greatly improved, more energy, better outlook on life, etc. Even having some luck with slow ultra low dose titration and being able to reduce their opioids. This won't be 70% but there are a few.

My question to you researchers is: What is the best assessment tool for pain and general well being in a questionnaire form that I can give before starting them on LDN and 3 and 6 months later? I searched the web and have not found what I am looking for. The 36 question SF-Health survery is not quite it. We may eventually give a presentation to local providers on how we have been doing with LDN.

Thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your Ultra LDN dosing? Are you primarily using for patients on opioids?
4.5mcg daily?

I dont think you will find any such formal assessment tool specific to LDN beyond our usual tools for chronic pain including disability indices etc.

Anyway my success with LDN at 4.5mg daily for the indications you mentioned has been fair to lousy! No homeruns yet...

Members don't see this ad :)
The first 40 patients have many different diagnosis but not taking opioids, fibromyalgia, CRPS, diabetic neuropathy, idiopathic neuropathy, depression, hypermobility disorder and pain all over the place, patients who have not responded to the usual treatments for cervical and lumbar pain. I also tell them it is a 3 month trial and if even a small response will extend it to 6 months. We start them on 1/2 of a 4.5 mg tablet at 9 pm and increase it in 7-10 days to a whole tablet. I am waiting to hear back from the 45 year old woman with 3 level positive discogram that refuses to take opioids and refuses to have her back fused, and the guy who twisted my arm to prescribe it for his annoying tinnitis. I did after finding the attached link.

For Ultra low dose I have them take it at 9 pm on an empty stomach, try to avoid opioids for at least several hours. If no withdrawal symptoms I bump it up to 1 mg in 2 weeks. I have read that this low of a dose is unlikely to cause withdrawal. So far that's as far as I titrated but plan to go higher if no withdrawal side effects, and I tell them that the main idea is to help them wean off of the opiods.

One man who uses a Butrans patch and is very sensitive to medications, feels his pain character has changed for the better and he feels mental clarity like he has never had before, after 1 month at 1 mg. I don't prompt them what to say. He's the 4 person with similar statement about mental clarity.

Attachments

• tinnitus.txt
    43 bytes · Views: 46