Best book on molecular methods?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grurik

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Medical student here, also pre-clinical researcher (PhD-student). Does anyone here have tips on methods commonly used in laboratory setting?

I'm not trained in methods, I feel this makes me function less well in the lab. Sure, I could learn a bit from colleagues with more lab-friendly education (molecular biologists, engineers and other). I have never been teached about gene expression analysis, western blots, facs and so on. I feel stupid everytime I ask another person at the lab about something and they're always like "Well, just do an electrospray ionisation mass spectrometry" and I have no clue whatsoever what that could be.

I "learn" the methods by reading papers. I feel the difference between me and others' at the lab is
Someone-who-knows-what-they're-talking about: "They should have designed the experiment in this way, and tried using this method A to setup method B."
Me (when I'm having a good day): "Uhm, IHC data, they should've done a WB as well to confirm, or is that even necessary?".

Indeed, I know some methods quite well (maybe 2-3 I can run by my own (designing the experimental setup), and do 90% of the trouble shooting on). I'm just lacking the necessary skill to discuss a paper as a whole.

Basically, I'm doing laboratory work without really knowing what I'm doing. I would like to have an introductory book on basic methods instead of "Here is the basics of patch-clamp (2100 pages)". To answer the question 1) how does it work? 2) why does it work? 3) what are they used for? 4) common misstakes/how to interpret the data/whatever.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I found the Methods chapters in the book Molecular Biology of the cell by sanders 5th edition to be a thorough yet concise review of all the common lab techniques and pretty much answers your questions 1-3 and to some extent question 4. I found it online somewhere for free so just do some googling and you can find it (PM me if you cant). It goes over the basics of everything from southern blotting to two photon microscopy in about 100 pages. Its also a pretty good review of all other molecular bio topics.

For a lot of data analysis and troubleshooting I found bitesizebio.com to be a really resource for specific topics (like analyzing qpcr data or troubleshooting westerns)

Just Google stuff or use sites like https://www.labome.com/method/index.html (one of my personal favorites). I still don't know every thing but I'm always reading - one day you'll be competent enough but you gotta keep at it.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what i use:
_20161213_132929.JPG
_20161213_132838.JPG