Best books for Content Review (psychology, physical sciences)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericd8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is a poll on the 2015 materials that you should look at. That thread is probably the most insightful in terms of what works for various types of studiers and represents the opinions of over 200 people rather than just a couple posts from an outspoken advocate or nemesis.

Before picking materials, you really need to know what you need.

Last edited:
That poll tells people nothing new that SN2ed hasn't been saying for years. The test may have changed for 2015, but the best way to study still involves going over answer after answer from question after question. Here is the modified version of the SN2ed list, which closely matches the results from that poll.

Psychology and Sociology
EK and TBR (review and passages/questions from both)
Khan (passages after you've reviewed)

Biochemistry/Biology
EK for review if you know your stuff well OR TBR for review if you need more help
TBR for passages (they are the best)

Organic Chemistry/Biochemistry
TBR for review and passages (their new books are great)

General Chemistry (they didn't change this much for 2015)
EK for review if you know your stuff well OR TBR for review if you need more help
TBR for passages

Physics (they didn't change this much for 2015)
TBR for review
TBR for passages

CARS (they didn't change this much for 2015)
EK for strategies
TPR and EK for passages

Extras
Khan videos as needed
Khan passages (especially for psychology and sociology)
TPR Workbook

Reactions: 1 user
If you haven't taken any psych/soc courses, I'd get your hands on as many prep books for that section as you can. Depending on what school you'd take psych/soc at, you would spend $200/credit on the low end to $700/credit on the high end? ... just spend that money gathering up multiple prep books instead of taking the courses. I think if you use TPR, Kaplan, EK, and Khan for Psych/Soc you'd be fine.

I'm a psych major, and when I took the MCAT in the summer I was surprised to see so many "advanced" psych topics that wouldn't have been touched on in psych 101. So I'd honestly think it's a waste of time in comparison to take psych 101, than to spend the time reading multiple prep books. Psych isn't anything hard to learn, and if you scored a 32 before you're surely intelligent enough to learn it on your own.

You should TBR for passages and test tricks. You'll thank me in May when you get your score back.